Autry on Carey, Patterson and Cuffe | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Autry on Carey, Patterson and Cuffe

I actually would try Bell as the pick in the pick and roll/pop. His offense consists of threes/pull up jumpers/one dribble and dunk... Setting the pick should allow him to do any of the three options generated by the pick and pop.

Red also could have Brown set a back pick for him to sneak around for open threes.

The offense is definitely something I'm worried about. I have been since the year started, but we have occasional glimmers of hope, usually quickly dashed.

I'm hopeful the impending rotation of personnel and another off-season can help.

Hopefully we get to a winning record so at least our new streak stays alive. Other than that, it's already looking ahead to next year. :vomit:
Yeah the one thing I'll question Red on is the constant use of Brown screening with Judah. Judah doesn't use him properly and the defense doesn't react so there's no room for Judah to do anything, Rinse and repeat. Q seems to have it figured out, but they go with that like 5% of the time.

similarities I have observed:

1. almost exact same (ineffective) offense - relying on 1 on 1 iso plays with poor ball movement and a lack of basic cohesion that almost all other p5 teams seems to easily have
2. almost absolutely nothing on offense from centers
3. similar ideas with roster constuction - bring in centers that offer nothing on offense - stick with forwards that do not fit the system and cannot provide the neccesary contributions that their positions demand
4. using combo guards on offense instead of an actual PG - trying to play without a true PG
5. playing a forward out of position at center
6. totally imbalanced roster
7. shortening rotation as the season goes on - benching players like cuffe and hima, meanwhile the starting guards and brown cannot play 40 minutes - gassed teams that fold down the stretch was a hallmark of late era JB
8. nonsensical sub patterns
9. complete indifference to rebounding in strategy and roster construction
10. telling players to not even go to the free throw line for offensive boards
11. only pressing when down 20+
12. slow down offense when leading late in a game that ruins offensive efficiency and makes the game closer than it otherwise would be
13. relatively small amount of assists
14. extreme loyalty to inadequate players

thats all I can think of in a few minutes off the top of my head

yeah there have been some changes...but mostly cosmetic, imo

I also feel this way bc I watched a JB interview this season and h basically said he interacts with the team heavily...its obvious to me

yeah better players will help...but I really wish there had been a clean break when I see so many issues from recent seasons seem here to stay
Many, many many people on here wanted Ed Cooley. He is 8-15 so far this season. I don't think Red is getting much credit so far for a team that could win 18 to 20 games. Ed Cooley is a prime example that there is no magic wand. People need to cut Red some slack.

Minus westry, the team looked about the same before as they do now, worse even at times. I also am not sure you can call Benny a “bad break.” Even though he was (seemingly) in the right to kick him off the team, that’s different than a poorly timed injury.
Benny looked pretty good at the end of last year IMO and was expecting a jump. Mental health is unpredictable and assume if coaches knew better, they would have parted ways in off season and gone portal shopping.

I don’t think Bell is the type of guy who can make shots on the move. He’s good in standstill catch and shoot situations. I can’t see him coming off curls. Using him like Andy Rautins probably isn’t going to be very successful for us.
do I think he’ll be Andy good at it? No, but I think bell could work well with it in some situations. He has a decent midranger on the move coming in off the pump fake or taking the one two step in. He really just needs to have one or two dribble moves he can consistently go to as to get off the screens, curls, etc which is a lot easier said than done. He may just not be able to do it and that’s why we don’t see it in games, because he hasnt shown he can do so in practice and such.

I don’t think Bell is the type of guy who can make shots on the move. He’s good in standstill catch and shoot situations. I can’t see him coming off curls. Using him like Andy Rautins probably isn’t going to be very successful for us.

It takes a LOT of work to be able to shoot well off the screen and basically be moving but be square and make your shot.

Buddy was a boss at it. That dude could get square in a hurricane.

It is so hard. JJ Redick used to talk about how much work it takes to be good at that skill. It's hours and hours of repetition and you have to get strong and be quick.

I've asked this before and don't get any answers.

What offensive scheme do you want Red to run with THIS current team?

You want them to run shooters off screens? For what? These guys can't make enough shots for the defense to react accordingly.
there was a stretch in a recent 2nd half failed comeback loss where the team made like 9 straight scores (cant remember what game)...that should be the offense. quick ball movement/passing for open shots.
Many, many many people on here wanted Ed Cooley. He is 8-15 so far this season. I don't think Red is getting much credit so far for a team that could win 18 to 20 games. Ed Cooley is a prime example that there is no magic wand. People need to cut Red some slack.
eh I dont know about ed cooley...there have been some great wins this season...but there have also been some horrific losses.

I would be fully convinced by Red if the losses this year hadnt been total decimations/utter embarassments.

this is a team that can beat top 10 opponents.

How many of the people who are hung up about Cuffe sitting would’ve lit Red up if he put him in while Starling and Mintz were cooking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom