Autry on Carey, Patterson and Cuffe | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Autry on Carey, Patterson and Cuffe

I've asked this before and don't get any answers.

What offensive scheme do you want Red to run with THIS current team?

You want them to run shooters off screens? For what? These guys can't make enough shots for the defense to react accordingly.

similarities I have observed:

1. almost exact same (ineffective) offense - relying on 1 on 1 iso plays with poor ball movement and a lack of basic cohesion that almost all other p5 teams seems to easily have
2. almost absolutely nothing on offense from centers
3. similar ideas with roster constuction - bring in centers that offer nothing on offense - stick with forwards that do not fit the system and cannot provide the neccesary contributions that their positions demand
4. using combo guards on offense instead of an actual PG - trying to play without a true PG
5. playing a forward out of position at center
6. totally imbalanced roster
7. shortening rotation as the season goes on - benching players like cuffe and hima, meanwhile the starting guards and brown cannot play 40 minutes - gassed teams that fold down the stretch was a hallmark of late era JB
8. nonsensical sub patterns
9. complete indifference to rebounding in strategy and roster construction
10. telling players to not even go to the free throw line for offensive boards
11. only pressing when down 20+
12. slow down offense when leading late in a game that ruins offensive efficiency and makes the game closer than it otherwise would be
13. relatively small amount of assists
14. extreme loyalty to inadequate players

thats all I can think of in a few minutes off the top of my head

yeah there have been some changes...but mostly cosmetic, imo

I also feel this way bc I watched a JB interview this season and h basically said he interacts with the team heavily...its obvious to me

yeah better players will help...but I really wish there had been a clean break when I see so many issues from recent seasons seem here to stay
To review, here is our start of the season depth chart, with our players available at the start of our most recent game. Tell me what you think Red should be doing differently, especially when you are referencing Brown's minutes and Red's unwillingness to press until we were "down 20."

EDIT: Or in other words, tell me you were eager to see Taylor or Bell at center while Brown got a rest!

5: McLeod, Hima
4-5: Brown, Carey
4: Williams
3-4: Taylor
3: Bell
2-3: Westry, Copeland
2: Cuffe
1-2: Mintz, Starling

Other than not playing Cuffe 4 minutes a half (which may have been an off court decision), what could Red realistically do?

They keep saying Hima isn't injured, but he sure looks like it. If he isn't, his "mobility is limited" is not inspiring images of a college basketball player.

Last edited:
To review, here is our start of the season depth chart, with our players available at the start of our most recent game. Tell me what you think Red should be doing differently, especially when you are referencing Brown's minutes and Red's unwillingness to press until we were "down 20."

Other than not playing Cuffe 4 minutes a half (which may have been an off court decision), what could Red realistically do?

They keep saying Hima isn't injured, but he sure looks like it. If he isn't, his "mobility is limited" is not inspiring images of a college basketball player.

The nonsensical stuff about the rotation - we're down multiple guys since the Oregon, GU games. Which to a normal person would realize it shrinks the number of things a team can do on the court.

“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.”

I thought it was just an inarticulate way of saying he planned for Cuffe to play, but, plans are not etched in stone, and he either forgot or the actual game sitch didn’t compel him to put him in. And now, without Benny, the priority/urgency is greater. So, maybe this time he’ll be less likely to ‘forget.’
If the game situations compelled Red to play Judah 40 mins last game and JJ 40 mins the game before, I fundamentally have a problem with how he views those situations.

If he just forgot, that's worse.

At this point, I'm hoping it was an on the DL suspension or something.

If the game situations compelled Red to play Judah 40 mins last game and JJ 40 mins the game before, I fundamentally have a problem with how he views those situations.

If he just forgot, that's worse.

At this point, I'm hoping it was an on the DL suspension or something.
I agree. It is/was bizarre. But, if the plan was to put Cuffe in at a certain point and then either Judah or JJ started cooking, or we were on a mini-roll, and he didn’t want to mess with that chemistry… and then that window closed… I can sorta understand the ‘oversight.’

I have no doubt Cuffe was hurt or suspended. Red says he wasn’t hurt so I’ll go with a 2 game suspension for whatever. He didn’t just forget and didn’t see the need for him at any point. Like someone else said, he wasn’t even warming up the other day at halftime. He was a rebounder with the managers. He knew he wasn’t playing.

i honestly think that JB has a lot of influence over what Red is doing

too many parallels in approach to be coincidental
Well, he did coach under JB for over a decade…

You want them to run shooters off screens? For what? These guys can't make enough shots for the defense to react accordingly.
It’s not our job to create a scheme, we aren’t making millions a year to coach basketball. I would assume the person whose job it is to make a scheme, would at least try.

I agree. It is/was bizarre. But, if the plan was to put Cuffe in at a certain point and then either Judah or JJ started cooking, or we were on a mini-roll, and he didn’t want to mess with that chemistry… and then that window closed… I can sorta understand the ‘oversight.’
Coaching matters but Red is playing the hand he was dealt. Guys recruited for zone that we never have went after. Also Red says every PR session we need to move the ball, take better shots etc… In the end it’s the players who have to make the plays, the coaches can only do so much. If you look at the roster right now, we have Brown who is great, Mintz is very good but has his flaws, Starling who has been improving, Copeland who has been very good, Bell who has been streaky but improving on defense and rebounding. These guys are all Sophomores and will get better. Bad breaks this year are Benny, McCloud, Westry as that alone would make us a very different team week in/out. Always about the talent.

Last edited:

Bell is just under 40% from three on the year on a large amount of attempts. Quite a few of those are heavily contested. If we ran him off some screens I would not complain.

Coaching matters but Red is playing the hand he was dealt. Guys recruited for zone that we never have went after. Also Red says every PR session we need to move the ball, take better shots etc… In the end it’s the players who have to make the plays, the coaches can only do so much. If you look at the roster right now, we have Brown who is great, Mintz is very good but has his flaws, Starling who has been improving, Copeland who has been very good, Bell who has been streaky but improving on defense and rebounding. These guys are all Sophomores and will get better. Bad breaks this year are Benny, McCloud, Westry as that alone would make us a very different team week in/out. Always about the talent.
Minus westry, the team looked about the same before as they do now, worse even at times. I also am not sure you can call Benny a “bad break.” Even though he was (seemingly) in the right to kick him off the team, that’s different than a poorly timed injury.

EDIT: Or in other words, tell me you were eager to see Taylor or Bell at center while Brown got a rest!

Hima is cleared but can’t move very well or play a lot of minutes. Bad arthritic knees, potato knees.

Bell is just under 40% from three on the year on a large amount of attempts. Quite a few of those are heavily contested. If we ran him off some screens I would not complain.
Maybe. You want to base your offense on that? I don’t know if he could get open running off screens honestly. He’s not known for being great with the small details of basketball.

I don’t think Bell is the type of guy who can make shots on the move. He’s good in standstill catch and shoot situations. I can’t see him coming off curls. Using him like Andy Rautins probably isn’t going to be very successful for us.

Last edited:
we do not have the numbers or fouls to give any more to press 20 minutes a game, we just do not. Too many injuries to big guys and then the Benny issue, we are basically down to one power forward, a small forward or two and guards, that's it and that is why we are getting destroyed it has little or nothing to do with Judah doing too much frankly he needs to put this team on his back to have any chance at all in spite of some of our guys going off like Bell did or JJ, Brown, Cope have we have a very small chance to wim.

1. almost exact same (ineffective) offense - relying on 1 on 1 iso plays with poor ball movement and a lack of basic cohesion that almost all other p5 teams seems to easily have
3. similar ideas with roster constuction - bring in centers that offer nothing on offense - stick with forwards that do not fit the system and cannot provide the neccesary contributions that their positions demand
4. using combo guards on offense instead of an actual PG - trying to play without a true PG
7. shortening rotation as the season goes on - benching players like cuffe and hima, meanwhile the starting guards and brown cannot play 40 minutes - gassed teams that fold down the stretch was a hallmark of late era JB
12. slow down offense when leading late in a game that ruins offensive efficiency and makes the game closer than it otherwise would be

I also feel this way bc I watched a JB interview this season and h basically said he interacts with the team heavily...its obvious to me

yeah better players will help...but I really wish there had been a clean break when I see so many issues from recent seasons seem here to stay

Lots of bull in there or unreasonable opinion.

2. That’s because Jesse left. Who would you have replaced him with?

3. Red had a good haul in the portal, like it or not.

4. Q is a pure PG but too out of control at times.

5. Why do you think that is? Edwards left then every center has been or got hurt.

6. Without injuries it’s pretty balanced.

7. Coaches tend to shorten the bench as the season goes on. And your examples of cuff and Hima are off base. Hima has been hurting all year and cuff has played all year until the last 2 games. Suspension maybe?

You want to ignore injuries, especially Westry who was going to be available by December.

And JB has zero influence on this team or any of reds strategies. Just because he talks to red regularly doesn’t mean he’s making decisions. That is ignorant.

Only way we win today is by shooting >50% from the field and >85% from FT line, and win turnover margin by a ton because we are going to get absolutely destroyed on the boards

Only way we win today is by shooting >50% from the field and >85% from FT line, and win turnover margin by a ton because we are going to get absolutely destroyed on the boards
Or NC is just ice cold. Lets hope

This is an honest question as my friend brought this up at the dome during the Clemson game. Have you ever seen Bell run off a screen and shoot like so many of our previous guards? Is this something he can do? I am struggling to think of one time he did a Cooney or Rautins and caught off the screen and fired. Maybe this isn't a design flaw, but a skill a player does not do well with.

Thats an amazing, extensive list that is pretty accurate and concerning.

A couple I can let pass due to the injuries but my concern is there is pressure on Red to turn it around or at least make his imprint on the program and visibly show that his style on the court is different from JB's. If it starts looking too similar and the results are not noticeably better, the fan base will see his time as a continuation of the end of the JB era. If the program continues to underperform and not meet fanbase expectations that could greatly shorten his tenure, more so than if they brought in an outsider who the school paid big bucks to poach and underwent a total rebuild. Time will tell. I am really curious to see if Red can keep this limited roster engaged, bought in, giving effort, not getting blownout down the stretch. He has a real challenge right now. How this team performs down the stretch could be one of his defining moments. Do the players pack it in? or do they buy in to what he is trying to build and win a couple of these from now till the end of the season when they dont have much to play for other than solidifying their status on next years roster.

Agree with a lot of that. Not all. Talent without schemes/concepts/fundamentals is still not enough.
We still just don't do a lot of basic things that would make the talent we have more effective. That stuff is on the staff. Shot selection, etc. is in the hands of the player at that given moment, but it's team discipline that guides shot selection in the macro.

Given the injuries we've sustained during the year, and the player we haven't yet seen yet expected, i'm not sure our overall record should be a disappointment. What is disappointing is how we got there, how we actually play, and perhaps the management of the players. A lot of fans look at the score, the W-L, and/or specific stats to justify how they feel about who and what we are. I'm less concerned with any specific numbers—i didn't expect to contend for anything. I just want to begin a new era where we do the right things the right way, with the hope/expectation that that will lead to success.

This is an honest question as my friend brought this up at the dome during the Clemson game. Have you ever seen Bell run off a screen and shoot like so many of our previous guards? Is this something he can do? I am struggling to think of one time he did a Cooney or Rautins and caught off the screen and fired. Maybe this isn't a design flaw, but a skill a player does not do well with.
That is something i've been 'screaming' about all year. I believe i saw it in the last game. But, the screen/run off the screen was not particularly effective. The screener didn't present enough and Bell didn't exploit it well. Can't remember who the screener was—may actually have been Carey! I'd rather have Bell run around a wall, not a Festivus Pole.

Maybe. You want to base your offense on that? I don’t know if he could get open running off screens honestly. He’s not known for being great with the small details of basketball.
I actually would try Bell as the pick in the pick and roll/pop. His offense consists of threes/pull up jumpers/one dribble and dunk... Setting the pick should allow him to do any of the three options generated by the pick and pop.

Red also could have Brown set a back pick for him to sneak around for open threes.

The offense is definitely something I'm worried about. I have been since the year started, but we have occasional glimmers of hope, usually quickly dashed.

I'm hopeful the impending rotation of personnel and another off-season can help.

Hopefully we get to a winning record so at least our new streak stays alive. Other than that, it's already looking ahead to next year. :vomit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom