Available centers in the basketball portal | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Available centers in the basketball portal

Greg Skoric 6-11, grad transfer from Skidmore. Won’t be a popular choice here but was productive D3 player and buys developmental time for Peter Carey. Dad played at Cornell.

Greg Skoric 6-11, grad transfer from Skidmore. Won’t be a popular choice here but was productive D3 player and buys developmental time for Peter Carey.

I'll go with Brown as a backup 5 along with Carey first.

If of all the 5s or hybrid 5/4s that are better we can't attract one or don't choose to I would rather not take a D3 kid..

Greg Skoric 6-11, grad transfer from Skidmore. Won’t be a popular choice here but was productive D3 player and buys developmental time for Peter Carey. Dad played at Cornell.
I mentioned Skoric two pages ago (post #100) as a productive D3 kid. But why would a kid who's been at Skidmore for three years decide that he wants to sit the bench for an average at best ACC team. It's not like he would be going to Cornell and getting an Ivy degree. Would love to see a kid like him come but I would be surprised.

I don't think D-3 kids have to declare for the portal, but they might need to get a release from their school. Skidmore has a 6'11" kid who puts up some good stats but why would a kid who has played for three years at a school transfer somewhere to sit on the bench.

Greg Skoric - 2021-22 - Men's Basketball - Skidmore College Athletics

Greg Skoric (11) Forward/Center - 2019-20: Liberty League Honor Roll (2-9) Played in 23 games started in 22 ….. averaged 9.2 points per game and 8.3 rebounds
skidmoreathletics.com

get-attachment.aspx

Is this real life? We aren’t going after this guy are we?

Huh. Of all the talented players that have hit the portal this offseason, it’s this guy and Ballard that we chose to go after? I just don’t understand.
I want as much as anyone to have a talented-as-possible roster. Sincere question tho - who did/do you honestly think is going to come here to play 5-10 minutes a game as the backup center?

Pretty much any guy who can actually play center would be great. :)

Regarding Mounir Hima specifically, he seems like a decent backup for a year and then a starter/rotation center to help replace Edwards.

The size is there, height and arm length for sure, and the fact he gained 18lbs through a tremendous work ethic is huge. Listed at 6'11" 220 which makes him big for a Syracuse center coming in.

But looking for subtle information from the stats, he only got 5 starts last year, 4 of them in conference play. His minutes went up sightly in A-10 play, indicating increasing trust (or no other options) from the coaching staff. I have no idea how competitive the A-10 was last season... Usually with major conference players I look at their conference stats only because it gives a better indication of quality competition.

He averaged a block a game in under 10 minutes, 4.4 blocks and "only" 6.3 fouls per 40 in conference play. He also seems a solid to good rebounder.

I highly doubt he'd get time at forward. He played 183 conference minutes and attempted zero threes and only 34 two point shots (41.2%), so he'll be a placeholder in the zone, not an offensive threat his first year or two.

I'd love to have him, just to give Carey a chance to redshirt if he needs it.

I'd also love it if they also could get a grad transfer forward to help the young guys grow, but I'll take what we can get at this point.

EDIT: the A-10 ranked 9th in NET between the Mountain West and West Coast Conference. The A-10 had a very good non conference record.

ACC was 5th.

Last edited:
I want as much as anyone to have a talented-as-possible roster. Sincere question tho - who did/do you honestly think is going to come here to play 5-10 minutes a game as the backup center?
Agreed, which is why I thought we should go for a guy who can start at forward and slide over to backup C.

But we don’t seem to like those types of forwards anymore.

That wasn't the only option, though. We could have chased a 4 who could contend for a starting spot and bolster forward depth / experience, and also provide spot minutes in the pivot. Two birds with one stone, two big roster gaps [on paper] filled with one player.

Agree with your premise otherwise. Jesse is a deterrent to landing a starting caliber 5 via the portal.

That wasn't the only option, though. We could have chased a 4 who could contend for a starting spot and bolster forward depth / experience, and also provide spot minutes in the pivot. Two birds with one stone, two big roster gaps [on paper] filled with one player.

Agree with your premise otherwise. Jesse is a deterrent to landing a starting caliber 5 via the portal.
Yep, agree. I'm just pointing out the reality that emerged in re it became clear after Swider left that JB was not going to pursue the portal for forwards; he was only going to pursue a backup center.

Not to beat a dead horse, but as others have mentioned - a stretch 4/5 would have been ideal. Considering we technically have an open starting forward spot with Swider gone. There were quite a few of those in the portal recently.