Available centers in the basketball portal | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Available centers in the basketball portal

These numbers are highly skewed by the Jaylen Bartleys of the world.
Actual high end scholarship athletes are not having issues finding teams.
Agree. The article he posted said that 50% enrolled at another school, it didn’t say they earned scholarships at another school.

If I recall not many people were happy with Torrence. Did not do much before transferring. With coaching or a better system he became an asset. Could happen again.

I do. Not a done deal. On the kids part.
He found one more year of eligibility!!!

1651758319991.png

If I recall not many people were happy with Torrence. Did not do much before transferring. With coaching or a better system he became an asset. Could happen again.
Well he averaged 2 pts and 3 asts so that's still not much for a 3rd guard but we were all just excited to have an actual point guard, you know, play like a point guard.

We will get a back up center in the portal. No one on this board will be happy with it.

At least we finally have a legit starting center!

If the backup is a beanpole project with ping-pong paddles for hands, so be it... he's a backup. There's been too many recent years where we've had that type as a starter.

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't be opposed to someone like Kaosi Ezeagu from Kansas St to be our backup C. Big body from Canada and has played at the P5 level already.

Did anyone see this? Is JB still planning on pounding the portal for a backup center?
While expressing that the recruit rankings don't mean a ton to JB, he said there's currently a recruit around 50 who will be a first round NBA draft pick, and another one around 70 or 80 who will be a first rounder. I assume he was talking about Judah, and maybe Chris Bunch (or maybe Justin Taylor, who I think will be more college ready but maybe not better in the long run). Love to hear it

You won't be happy. Believe me.
so what you are telling us is that Herm the Helicopter Harried isn't walking through that door? because that would make me happy.

Just reading between the lines of what dasher has said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a D2/D3 kid.

Just reading between the lines of what dasher has said, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a D2/D3 kid.
It's tough to get a guy who is leaving his current team because he wants more minutes to come here and play no minutes. The sale has to be about something else. With Torrence, it was "you have always wanted to be Orange, haven't you?" I suspect the same pitch went to Ballard, who didn't buy.

A grad transfer center from a small school will be more about "Get a Newhouse grad degree and get to tell people for the rest of your life you played basketball at Syracuse." No to player is taking that pitch.

I only hope he can catch the ball and not get pushed around too much. It wouldn't be too much to ask for a Notre Dame type thick ground pounder who can hit an open jumper and box out effectively, would it?

Last edited:
I've attached the D2 transfer portal. There are a bunch of 6'10 to 7 footers but none that I see have made a name for themselves.

I don't think D-3 kids have to declare for the portal, but they might need to get a release from their school. Skidmore has a 6'11" kid who puts up some good stats but why would a kid who has played for three years at a school transfer somewhere to sit on the bench.