Awful. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Awful.

An article on the Ringer site this AM - UCONN has won 5 titles in 25 years and missed the tournament nearly 33% of the time over the same time frame. They are way beyond us as a program - they have had some breaks and we have had some bad breaks but they are sniffing air we have never been close to. I hate it but its envy.
Nobody has done what they have done. Not Duke. Not UK. Nobody. They’ve effectively shown us that the regular season and year in year our consistency does not mean sht.

we sold our soul when we entered the ACC. UConn would have done the same. Perhaps their karma would be equally dinged as well.

How does UConn pay Hurley when they are in financial disrepair not being in the ACC? I'm glad we have an athletic dept that is well funded.
They would find a way to win multiple titles even if they hired a cyo coach

1) Calhoun was a great coach
2) Calhoun left them in good shape, that’s why Ollie won
3) They hit on their “guy after the guy after the guy” hire.

We had #1. We definitely don’t have #2. Hopefully we don’t need #3, but the historical record there ain’t encouraging.

Nobody has done what they have done. Not Duke. Not UK. Nobody. They’ve effectively shown us that the regular season and year in year our consistency does not mean sht.
They were a 4 seed. You don’t get that unless you had good season. The regular season and tournament conference means something and enhances your chances to advance in the big dance. Unfortunately we have sucked in both for a while now.

we sold our soul when we entered the ACC. UConn would have done the same. Perhaps their karma would be equally dinged as well.

How does UConn pay Hurley when they are in financial disrepair not being in the ACC? I'm glad we have an athletic dept that is well funded.
The notion that non-P5 schools wouldn’t compete in hoops was absurd when people here said it years ago. I enjoy this place but the #1 rule is that no one here knows anything, really.

But that’s all besides the point. We haven’t been in a 7 year decline because of the conference. It’s because we had a coach who wasn’t putting in the effort that he was previously, we lost the one killer recruiter we had, and we decided that family fun was more important than competing for titles. Those were choices, not karma.

1) Calhoun was a great coach
2) Calhoun left them in good shape, that’s why Ollie won
3) They hit on their “guy after the guy after the guy” hire.

We had #1. We definitely don’t have #2. Hopefully we don’t need #3, but the historical record there ain’t encouraging.

The current world is about being relentless and meeting unique and demanding asks of this next generation of recruits via HS and the portal... and NIL. I think we have what we need. Just need to get expected results that come with.

The current world is about being relentless and meeting unique and demanding asks of this next generation of recruits via HS and the portal... and NIL. I think we have what we need. Just need to get expected results that come with.
We’ll see. Everyone loves the new coach until the first game tips off. Or as Mike Tyson famously said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”.

We’ll see. Everyone loves the new coach until the first game tips off. Or as Mike Tyson famously said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”.
Two major hurdles Red needs to clear to get the program headed in the right direction

1. Recruiting better talent (signs look positive so far)
2. Coaching that better talent and winning games (TBD)

They were a 4 seed. You don’t get that unless you had good season. The regular season and tournament conference means something and enhances your chances to advance in the big dance. Unfortunately we have sucked in both for a while now.
You realize they’ve done nothing in the conference tournament? That’s the point of my post. There’s no need to be consistently good. Being nationally relevant means little. UConn has basically been nationally relevant once every 5 years. Everything we thought we knew keeps getting proven false in Storrs.

Two major hurdles Red needs to clear to get the program headed in the right direction

I don't know if it's just the times but I'd really love to see player development happen as we used to see. Kids getting a few mins as a FR, hit the rotation as a SO then become starters as upperclassmen. Used to have so many of our long, athlete type guys go through that and become great players. Think it may be more of a National issue then Cuse issue in kids not wanting to wait their turn these days. Though it seemed to become far less common for us prior to the portal explosion as well.

I go back to when Georgetown was our biggest baddest most hated rival. UCONN was, at least to me, second.
Based especially on this year, my three most hated teams, in order are:
UCONN;
Georgetown;
Indiana

Let’s hope. I’m not sold at all on #1 yet. We got one guy who’s returning to his hometown. It’s a good get but not a Herculean recruiting effort.

We’ll find out about #2 soon enough.

I’m down on our hire, just agnostic.

UConn was always good, they have the 2nd best SRS for the whole season.

In between their last two national championships, they have been irrelevant most of the time. If it were anyone other than UConn, people were would stop being so doomsday about a few years of irrelevance here.

Thread will be, and probably should be, deleted.

But watching UCONN win again is awful. Out of the Big East. A conference we helped create. To put it mildly. This is just bad across the board. Congrats to them. They deserve every bit of it. They rebuilt. Three losing seasons in a row (which for any of us is intolerable, same for them.). Then another NC.

I hope our staff takes this differently than JB ever would have.

But watching UCONN win is only 2nd bad to watching GT win. Crappy night for sure.

44cuse
Wait until next year, look at that conference and pre season rankings, I am not so sure that the Big East won’t win their second strait National Title, Creighton, Uconn, Marquette, Xavier will all be very good, that doesn’t include what happens with St.John’s, and Georgetown smfh

Because UConn is a STATE UNIVERSITY.

Their Athletic Dept is propped up by the taxpayers of the Nutmeg State.

They can afford to abandon their football program (and the TV money).

Wait until next year, look at that conference and pre season rankings, I am not so sure that the Big East won’t win their second strait National Title, Creighton, Uconn, Marquette, Xavier will all be very good, that doesn’t include what happens with St.John’s, and Georgetown smfh
Obviously, a ton depends on the portal and it's just speculation at this point but CBS's "way-too-early" preseason Top 25 has UConn #1, Marquette #3 and Creighton #6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom