Awful. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Awful.

Obviously, a ton depends on the portal and it's just speculation at this point but CBS's "way-too-early" preseason Top 25 has UConn #1, Marquette #3 and Creighton #6.
They won’t be number 1. Jackson, Sanogo, and Hawkins are gone. Marquette may very well be number one though. They were the best team in the Big East this season.

Wait until next year, look at that conference and pre season rankings, I am not so sure that the Big East won’t win their second strait National Title, Creighton, Uconn, Marquette, Xavier will all be very good, that doesn’t include what happens with St.John’s, and Georgetown smfh
Thing is with Duke, UNC, Virginia, Miami (and hopefully us and maybe Louisville with their recruits), the ACC will always have top teams and ability to bounce back.

What do I care. Our football team is never, ever going to be a top ten team. UConn proved tonight that our basketball team could.
Hey everyone! Cajovalley doesn't care about Football so we're just going to shutter the program and give up nearly $30M in funds to go back to the big east and get $4M. After all, since Cajovalley doesn't care it must mean no one does? Certainly not the 46K fans that sold out the dome twice this year.

What a joke.

Thread will be, and probably should be, deleted.

But watching UCONN win again is awful. Out of the Big East. A conference we helped create. To put it mildly. This is just bad across the board. Congrats to them. They deserve every bit of it. They rebuilt. Three losing seasons in a row (which for any of us is intolerable, same for them.). Then another NC.

I hope our staff takes this differently than JB ever would have.

But watching UCONN win is only 2nd bad to watching GT win. Crappy night for sure.

44cuse
Their team is amazing. I would take any of those kids. UConn is one of the few 'high major' programs that can play with the same kind of grit that the Butlers and the Gonzagas do.

Sucks to watch them win 5 to our 1, and with 3 different coaches, and all within recent memory, but frankly, they are just really, really good.

I would also take any of those bigs from any of the final 4 teams, and a few guards to. A lot of these programs are putting serious time in the weight room and recruiting some real warriors.

Hope we can get back to high major relevancy. We have a long, long way to go.

The notion that non-P5 schools wouldn’t compete in hoops was absurd when people here said it years ago. I enjoy this place but the #1 rule is that no one here knows anything, really.

But that’s all besides the point. We haven’t been in a 7 year decline because of the conference. It’s because we had a coach who wasn’t putting in the effort that he was previously, we lost the one killer recruiter we had, and we decided that family fun was more important than competing for titles. Those were choices, not karma.

We decided to save our football program only to let the basketball program rust under our nose. Call it Boeheim hostage complex, call it the loss of our geographical je ne sais quoi, call it whatever but it is not working.

If Red falls flat on his face and the big east further propels higher now with Rick back in St Johns and Ed at the Town, the narrative is going to further bolster the "why the f are we in the ACC floundering" only to see our great football team scratch and claw for 4-5 wins yearly.

The entire thing ultimately was bad for basketball. I can't be convinced otherwise. And the tailwinds the big east has are going to auger my argument further.

Having said that, it's a great internet message board argument. no one is possibly right here. Everyone is lurking in the gray area of "what ifs" and "why nots"

Their team is amazing. I would take any of those kids. UConn is one of the few 'high major' programs that can play with the same kind of grit that the Butlers and the Gonzagas do.

Sucks to watch them win 5 to our 1, and with 3 different coaches, and all within recent memory, but frankly, they are just really, really good.

I would also take any of those bigs from any of the final 4 teams, and a few guards to. A lot of these programs are putting serious time in the weight room and recruiting some real warriors.

They had 3 losing seasons in a row, 2016-2017 to 2018-2019, a turn around is never impossible for a high major program.

We decided to save our football program only to let the basketball program rust under our nose. Call it Boeheim hostage complex, call it the loss of our geographical je ne sais quoi, call it whatever but it is not working.

If Red falls flat on his face and the big east further propels higher now with Rick back in St Johns and Ed at the Town, the narrative is going to further bolster the "why the f are we in the ACC floundering" only to see our great football team scratch and claw for 4-5 wins yearly.

The entire thing ultimately was bad for basketball. I can't be convinced otherwise. And the tailwinds the big east has are going to auger my argument further.

Having said that, it's a great internet message board argument. no one is possibly right here. Everyone is lurking in the gray area of "what ifs" and "why nots"
These posts are the Jim Boeheim excuse complex.

None of this makes sense, my man. Our basketball struggles and being in the ACC are two unrelated and unconnected events.

UConn also hit on their txfrs too. Newton, Calcaterra, Alleyne and to a lesser extent Diarra were all bought in and did as expected. Usually you get a miss or two or struggle to get former starters/high minutes guys to fully buy in to a bench role.

Because UConn is a STATE UNIVERSITY.

Their Athletic Dept is propped up by the taxpayers of the Nutmeg State.

They can afford to abandon their football program (and the TV money).
Ok then cue up the duck boats for Umass bsketball resurgence.

The Dome renovation and Lally complex for one.

It did? It's been stated here repeatedly that AD funds, etc. are not used for capital improvements, but from fundraising. Though, so was WORD about UConn's death, destruction and demise being a sure thing too.

None of this makes sense, my man. Our basketball struggles and being in the ACC are two unrelated and unconnected events.

Your opinion for sure. I respect it and I may be wrong. I'm making all my opinions on how I feel about the program and how i felt about it when it moved to a southern tilting conference. My other take is it'll all be moot when the ACC falls apart in about 8 years. Then we'll see where we pivot.

Our basketball struggles will be further amplified without Ichabod Crane, the legend, not there anymore. He propped up our national relevance. The other relevant angle to our basketball program was being a pillar in the Big East.

Let's hope like hell that Red can coach and make do in the ACC. We're just not a fit there. I'm sorry. I watched more of the big east tourney than the ACC and the two teams i have historically rooted for left the Big East. It's just a better conference for a Syracuse.

It did? It's been said here repeatedly that AD funds, etc. are not used for capital improvements, but from fundraising. Though, so was WORD about UConn's death, destruction and demise being a sure thing too.
Thats not entirely false, their football program is essentially destroyed.

Your opinion for sure. I respect it and I may be wrong. I'm making all my opinions on how I feel about the program and how i felt about it when it moved to a southern tilting conference. My other take is it'll all be moot when the ACC falls apart in about 8 years. Then we'll see where we pivot.

Our basketball struggles will be further amplified without Ichabod Crane, the legend, not there anymore. He propped up our national relevance. The other relevant angle to our basketball program was being a pillar in the Big East.

Let's hope like hell that Red can coach and make do in the ACC. We're just not a fit there. I'm sorry. I watched more of the big east tourney than the ACC and the two teams i have historically rooted for left the Big East. It's just a better conference for a Syracuse.
We're not dropping football. If we didn't join the ACC we would have had to join the American which IMO is the most depressing conference in the country by far. It's just a hodge-podge of leftovers with zero identity or history. Could you imagine trying to sell recruits on playing Tulsa/East Carolina instead of Duke/UNC in hoops and FSU/Clemson in football?

Thats not entirely false, their football program is essentially destroyed.

Except, those loud mouth's weren't really talking about football, but more so hoops as that is where the extreme jealously lies. And, although their football program has limited funds, etc. they did make it to a bowl game this year with a first year coach. So, there's that.

We're not dropping football. If we didn't join the ACC we would have had to join the American which IMO is the most depressing conference in the country by far. It's just a hodge-podge of leftovers with zero identity or history. Could you imagine trying to sell recruits on playing Tulsa/East Carolina instead of Duke/UNC in hoops and FSU/Clemson in football?

who said drop football. I said we propped up football by joining the ACC. We have been given a stay of execution to underwrite a football team that is at best mediocre and at worst a great weekend trip for the other ACC schools who pencil (or pen) us in as a win yearly.

When we're left at the altar with the next round of musical football chairs, that'll be the decision tree moment for Sveryud and Wildhack what to do with this big asset that will be lurking far behind the SEC/BIG money machine.

I am just saying the hoops program, if it was an independently run operation, would be best served in the Big East with UConn, GTown, St Johns, et al.

I am just saying the hoops program, if it was an independently run operation, would be best served in the Big East with UConn, GTown, St Johns, et al.
But it's not an independently run operation. It's part of an athletic program of which our football team is directly connected. I'm fine with hypotheticals but I just feel like this one serves no clear purpose.

It's like planning a hypothetical family vacation where I take one of my kids but not the other. They're a package deal (unfortunately sometimes).

who said drop football. I said we propped up football by joining the ACC. We have been given a stay of execution to underwrite a football team that is at best mediocre and at worst a great weekend trip for the other ACC schools who pencil (or pen) us in as a win yearly.

When we're left at the altar with the next round of musical football chairs, that'll be the decision tree moment for Sveryud and Wildhack what to do with this big asset that will be lurking far behind the SEC/BIG money machine.

The Big East is not the Big East anymore. That conference tournament had zero juice.

Do you honestly think Jim Boeheim was not a problem the past 5 years?

If you watch UConns offense closely it actually resembles a lot of what we ran in 09-10. They have been incredibly efficient results wise with their good teams. It is what it is. I'm done with worrying about that stupid fanbase and their 5th title. Let them enjoy it. Let's have Red keep working and get some juice in our own program again.
I loved the way they set picks at the FT line almost every possession to get guys open. They looked well-coached on offense and defense. Hope we incorporate some of it.

Thread will be, and probably should be, deleted.

But watching UCONN win again is awful. Out of the Big East. A conference we helped create. To put it mildly. This is just bad across the board. Congrats to them. They deserve every bit of it. They rebuilt. Three losing seasons in a row (which for any of us is intolerable, same for them.). Then another NC.

I hope our staff takes this differently than JB ever would have.

But watching UCONN win is only 2nd bad to watching GT win. Crappy night for sure.

44cuse
I know Cuse and Gtown fans hate each other, but we are together in our misery about UConn winning another gd title. We were the original flagship programs in the Big East. Heck, even Nova and SJU should be big mad.

I know Cuse and Gtown fans hate each other, but we are together in our misery about UConn winning another gd title. We were the original flagship programs in the Big East. Heck, even Nova and SJU should be big mad.

Nova's laughing at us too as they have 3 natys to SU's and Gtown's lone.

They had 3 losing seasons in a row, 2016-2017 to 2018-2019, a turn around is never impossible for a high major program.
For sure. I find it so silly when rant about our program being "dead" if we don't do X, Y or Z on some accelerated timeline. A turnaround in college hoops is achievable in literally one season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom