B1G Interest in SU?? | Syracusefan.com

B1G Interest in SU??

OrangeMaine

Walk On
Apparently Mike Francesca is saying that the B1G is checking with Syracuse to see if they have any interest??? Anyone else find this believable? Would the B1G be looking to take Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt and call it a day at 16??

I'd feel more comfortable in the B1G at this point.

The ACC obviously has some problems.

It seemed as if this came up on his Sunday show, which I was listening to. A caller, who said he was a Syracuse fan living in MD, wanted to know about the 'rumors' that the B1G was looking at SU to take Rutgers' spot. I got the impression the caller was trying to start a rumor of his own, but who knows... I certainly haven't heard this anywhere else. Seems as if Francesa was taking this caller at his word and running with it.

Apparently Mike Francesca is saying that the B1G is checking with Syracuse to see if they have any interest??? Anyone else find this believable? Would the B1G be looking to take Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt and call it a day at 16??
MD, Pitt, SU & ND... or MD & SU.

If that scenario played out...the ACC would be in huge trouble on the FB side because that might be the final straw for Florida St and Clemson.

SU would be a candidate for further Big 10 expansion, Southern schools make little sense as they dont fit in the Geographic footprint of the B10 at all. I would find it hard to believe they are actually trying to gauge SU's interest at this point but if they wanted to expand to 16 I would think SU would be a prime candidate.

It seemed as if this came up on his Sunday show, which I was listening to. A caller, who said he was a Syracuse fan living in MD, wanted to know about the 'rumors' that the B1G was looking at SU to take Rutgers' spot. I got the impression the caller was trying to start a rumor of his own, but who knows... I certainly haven't heard this anywhere else. Seems as if Francesa was taking this caller at his word and running with it.

Sounds like someone's MD buddies saw a big ole opportunity to pull his chain...

I am just not certain that our school size/stadium size and lack of government funding fits very well in the B1G?

If they call we go...

I think we have to unfortunately. I was really excited about playing in the ACC. I still would be if all the ACC loses is Maryland (even UMD was one of those teams I was glad we would be playing again). That said, the B1G offers stability. It is one of only three conferences that do and we're never going to be asked to join the PAC or SEC.

I hope they offer, which then forces ND to go all-in on the ACC and we then live happily ever after...in the ACC.

I'd rather stabilize the ACC and stay. Better BB and a return to traditional SU rivalries with BC, VT, etc.
I was a big fan of a move to the B10 but I feel like we belong in the ACC, we'd just be NW v.2 in the B10.

I really hope not, despite the fact that we may be a better geographical fit in the Big 10. I guess I'm more of a basketball guy than a football guy, because I'd love to play Duke and UNC more than Ohio State and Michigan State.

9k=

No chance B1G calls us.

If the B1G calls, you go, period.

It would suck from a fan perspective, because it would take a long time to envision football being competitive (I think we can jump right in and be in that second tier in the ACC), and obviously it wouldn't be nearly as fun of a basketball conference, but it's the most stable conference SU could ever end up in and the money is bigger... The only way you don't go is if ND commits fully to the ACC.

I have no issue with what we do, it just has to be well-calculated by the university.

I'm going to throw this out there, I may be the only one, but I love conference realignment talk. So much BS to filter through that it becomes a game of what to believe and what not to. I like to think about all the possibilities and outcomes and consequences.

In regard to the $50,000,000 SU would have to pay to leave, I'm in for fifty bucks.
OK, so everyone just chip in $50. With Frozen, Jeremy, and me, we only need the other 999,997 rabid SU fans to step up.

Oh...

No chance we are going to the B1G they are saving a slot for Notre Dame and Pitt, VPI, UVA, UNC or Ga. Tech ARE WAY ahead of us on their pecking order. No need to discuss this I will donate half of bank account to the SU AD's office if we got an invite to the B1G. Its not happening the AAU kickout we got cause of Cantor killing academics is a HUGE killer.

I want no part of playing Wisconsin and Iowa in basketball every year. NONE. ZIPPO. ZILTCH. Big Ten Basketball is BRUTAL to watch. BRUTAL!

Pitt would make little sense. If they did go after the entire NE it would be MD, RU, SU, and BC to get to 16. That would completely kick the ACC out of anything Northeast of DC. Even if they ACC stayed together I doubt they add UConn at that point. It would also put ND back in play. If/when ND is ready to join a conference then the B1G can offer them and Pitt to get to 18, which makes just as much sense as a 16 team conference. It would basically be two 9 team conferences in FB and a round robin in BBall.

I think this is all unlikely.

I would not discredit it at this point, much much stranger things have happened.

We aren't going to the B1G so don't worry Pete. This thread is 100% fantasy, I wish we could get into the B1G, but it isn't happening Gordon Gecko Delany is going after destroying the ACC and he has destabilized them and with help from the SEC will finish them off and get ND and whatever ACC school he wants between Ga. Tech, N. Carolina, or Virginia Tech and be done at 16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom