Babers fired according to Thamel | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Babers fired according to Thamel

Why would the PS give Brent a platform and why would other writers from the PS go on his shows, etc? If he was that disliked by all he would’ve been gone from the community years ago. He’s also more of a sports commentator than a journalist. The reason why this board is popular is why he is influential to the program. He is the voice of the stakeholders (fans). People like to discuss and speculate on sports. Guarantee that Syracuse sports in general would have a less passionate fan base without commentators like Brent.
He was not afraid to say what fans were saying and thinking about Boeheim's demise and it got him fired. I lost all respect for Galaxy Media and Ed Levine and a poor example for Newhouse students who Galaxy gives a valuable platform. I hope they saw that and learned that listeners/viewers don’t want to listen to Radio Kremlin.

Actually Dave Clawson is their coach, and his predecessor Jim Grobe had some good seasons.
Oh yeah, drinking will get ya… still though, Jim grobe had an under .500 record

Recruiting isn’t the same now. It’s more like NFL free agency. Getting on your knees for an 18 year old isn’t the #1 priority now.
Right, it's more like getting on your knees for NIL donors...except for the ones who seem a bit "trashy."

Right, it's more like getting on your knees for NIL donors...except for the ones who seem a bit "trashy."
We need good coaching. The NIL is a sugar high. I see some of these perennially good college teams and they don’t look like SMU 1980.

Go recruit quality, give them a reason to stay w good coaching and environment and the NIL will take care of itself

I keep thinking that if Dino had gone for it on 4th down instead of attempting a 50 yard field goal, they would have won the game easily.

Or he thought to himself, if I do this I'll get a bonus getting fired early.
I wish he had won because I wanted to see how that offense that they created out of circumstance would develop in the next 2 games. It dominated Pitt and pretty much GT too. A little more downfield passing, which I think is coming, and you really have something for Syracuse. I hope Beck keeps going with it

So, 2018 never happened?

Don’t tell Aj about the Nattys in soccer, field hockey & XC.

He really did get too many concussions

So essentially Dino was fired for getting Syracuse into the top 1/3rd of the bottom rung of P5. Is that reasonable? Maybe. But point is it’s REALLY hard to win at these schools & coaches who do aren’t likely to stay long.

Lance Leipold, for example, is (rightly!) lauded for turning around an awful Kansas program. He has! And yet Kansas has exactly 1 more win over the past 2 years under Leipold than Cuse had under Dino.

So essentially Dino was fired for getting Syracuse into the top 1/3rd of the bottom rung of P5. Is that reasonable? Maybe. But point is it’s REALLY hard to win at these schools & coaches who do aren’t likely to stay long.

Lance Leipold, for example, is (rightly!) lauded for turning around an awful Kansas program. He has! And yet Kansas has exactly 1 more win over the past 2 years under Leipold than Cuse had under Dino.

Weird that one would limit it to 2 years. Also weird that one would go outside the P5 games. Weird that being in the Top 1/3 of the Bottom 10 is seen as an achievement. Shouldn't the HC move the team out of the bottom 10 and not stay there? Also weird not taking into account how inept the O has been the last 5 years.

I support moving on from Dino, but I want to mention that he would have been significantly more successful, and not be fired, if SU doesn't constantly have serious injuries to multiple key players every season. FSU's QB injury got a lot of attention, but we've lost our starting QB each of the last 5 years! I think we lost Dungey 3 of his 4 seasons. We lost our second best offense player in the first qtr of this season, 5? defense starters last season, Tucker? And many more. We seem to be much for injury prone than the average team.

I support moving on from Dino, but I want to mention that he would have been significantly more successful, and not be fired, if SU doesn't constantly have serious injuries to multiple key players every season. FSU's QB injury got a lot of attention, but we've lost our starting QB each of the last 5 years! I think we lost Dungey 3 of his 4 seasons. We lost our second best offense player in the first qtr of this season, 5? defense starters last season, Tucker? And many more. We seem to be much for injury prone than the average team.
He recruited the depth. Obviously some injuries are worse than others but if it happens every year, figure something out!

You can't overlook that the Depth on D got us thru this season with enough D to win 8 of the 11 games. We didn't lose GT or Clem because of the D.

Not having a QB that could throw cost us 2 wins and a 8-9 win season.. Not having a better oline caps the upside of almost every offense.

even CDRW getting hurt cost us some with the new style.

Half the ACC has the same issue at QB which is hard to understand,

You can't overlook that the Depth on D got us thru this season with enough D to win 8 of the 11 games. We didn't lose GT or Clem because of the D.

Not having a QB that could throw cost us 2 wins and a 8-9 win season.. Not having a better oline caps the upside of almost every offense.

even CDRW getting hurt cost us some with the new style.

Half the ACC has the same issue at QB which is hard to understand,
We didn’t lose to BC because of the D either … that’s 3 games right there.

That is one of the craziest things I can remember happening at Syracuse. I would love to hear what Baber's reasoning was for abandoning this offensive scheme for the one we currently have. I would love for the answer to be honest and not coach speak.
He did on his radio show. Rules changes prevented him from running the offense at the pace they did the first two years

Second it wasn't a winning approach. Couldn’t hang the defense out to dry like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom