Babers needs to be FORCED... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Babers needs to be FORCED...

I get the emotion in this, but its an absolutely terrible idea from a management standpoint.

Once the AD starts to manage through the coach taking away his decision making power, the results become his (the ADs) problem. And at a point in time, if things don't work, the coach says, "Hey, I didn't want to do that and you know I didn't and anything bad that happens is on you.

You can't make someone responsible for something and then "force him" to make certain kinds of decsions. It can't work.
CEOs do this all the time.

I get the emotion in this, but its an absolutely terrible idea from a management standpoint.

Once the AD starts to manage through the coach taking away his decision making power, the results become his (the ADs) problem. And at a point in time, if things don't work, the coach says, "Hey, I didn't want to do that and you know I didn't and anything bad that happens is on you.

You can't make someone responsible for something and then "force him" to make certain kinds of decsions. It can't work.
It already is on the AD. AD's are hired and fired based on revenue sport success with that weighing more heavily toward football.

Don't you think upper management sometimes instruct those beneath them to make personnel changes in other professions?

The S&C needs a new focus from lean to big and burly. 280 is unacceptable even for a LT. 320 and big

We just gave up 500 yards rushing to a bad team that ran the same play 30 times.

How much worse could it be?
It’s not the coaches it’s the philosophy babers wants. He wants lean lineman for some reason and we lose in the trenches because of thay

CEOs do this all the time.
Yup!
And the people they gave this direction to use it as a way of explaining away problems, failures, etc with "I never wanted to do that and you are the one that screwed things up not me. If you had allowed me to do what I had wanted to do we would have been successful."

The underlings also say, if you want to make all the decisions, fine. I'll go work somewhere else. If I'm going to be held responsible for the results, you can't tell me how to do it if I am going to be held responsible for the results.

It already is on the AD. AD's are hired and fired based on revenue sport success with that weighing more heavily toward football.

Don't you think upper management sometimes instruct those beneath them to make personnel changes in other professions?

Oh, it happens. But it's bad, bad management practice.

Yup!
And the people they gave this direction to use it as a way of explaining away problems, failures, etc with "I never wanted to do that and you are the one that screwed things up not me. If you had allowed me to do what I had wanted to do we would have been successful."

The underlings also say, if you want to make all the decisions, fine. I'll go work somewhere else. If I'm going to be held responsible for the results, you can't tell me how to do it if I am going to be held responsible for the results.
Sometimes CEOs have to make those below them understand the problem and take action. If they refuse, that's their problem and they can leave. No one is indispensable.

Dino won’t be FORCED to do anything. I’m sure there will be discussions and heart to heart talks. Maybe even some stern discussions. But I don’t expect Babers will hear an “or else”. If Dino is told you WILL fire A, B, and C or we will let you go. I’d expect Babers to go. That doesn’t mean there won’t be any changes, just that the dynamics won’t be one of FORCING him to make specific changes.

That is the way MLB works

Yes, that's true.

But MLB has a fundamentally different structure. College football teams don't have GM's. The coaches are both the GMs and the coaches.

Dino won’t be FORCED to do anything. I’m sure there will be discussions and heart to heart talks. Maybe even some stern discussions. But I don’t expect Babers will hear an “or else”. If Dino is told you WILL fire A, B, and C or we will let you go. I’d expect Babers to go. That doesn’t mean there won’t be any changes, just that the dynamics won’t be one of FORCING him to make specific changes.

Exactly. And the reason he would keave would be a realization that he was no longer the real head coach.

If I'm going to be held responsible for the results, I gotta have he authority to hire and fire.

Yup!

Where your position is questionable, is that the higher manager/executive is accountable too, where he has to answer to his superior relative to results. Now, if the higher/executive manager advising you to make changes due to failed/poor performance (results) is also sitting in on those interviews and tells/directs you to hire person A, versus person B and so on and so forth (micro managing you so to speak) than your argument would carry more weight than it does otherwise.

Last edited:
Other than the worst offensive line I've ever seen, leadership. Eric was the heart of that team. No one has stepped up to replace him.

To think someone said a few weeks ago leadership is much better this season.

I agree. You dont do that to a person you just trusted your program to. If major improvements are not made next year you can expect John to take a different tact. I hope that Dino steps up and puts the program first.