Baby Steps | Syracusefan.com

Baby Steps

CIL

All Conference
I have seen a lot of posts stating "we beat ourselves", and "dumb call". We are always going to have those thoughts after every loss. It's what we as fans do.

That being said, I am absolutely thrilled at the last two weeks. We went toe to toe with two programs that have more talent, more size, and more speed than we currently do. On the road to boot.

It gives me faith that this staff. They can make adjustments and certainly scheme with anyone. I'm not so sure the previous staff plays to the end of the game at LSU and at this NC St team.

This is a NC St team that went into FSU and manhandled last week. They have top 25 talent on their roster now. The size disparity in the trenches was evident today.

I really believe this team knocks someone off this year, I'm not sure who it is, but they will. They are getting better every single week, and I'm very impressed with what Monroe has done to this defense. We are going to have to find just a semblance of a running game, and if we do that I think we go bowling.

CIL, any insight into why we're having a rough time starting games? I feel like we're making great adjustments, but something is off about how we start and we aren't good enough to fully dig ourselves out of a hole.

I have seen a lot of posts stating "we beat ourselves", and "dumb call". We are always going to have those thoughts after every loss. It's what we as fans do.

That being said, I am absolutely thrilled at the last two weeks. We went toe to toe with two programs that have more talent, more size, and more speed than we currently do. On the road to boot.

It gives me faith that this staff. They can make adjustments and certainly scheme with anyone. I'm not so sure the previous staff plays to the end of the game at LSU and at this NC St team.

This is a NC St team that went into FSU and manhandled last week. They have top 25 talent on their roster now. The size disparity in the trenches was evident today.

I really believe this team knocks someone off this year, I'm not sure who it is, but they will. They are getting better every single week, and I'm very impressed with what Monroe has done to this defense. We are going to have to find just a semblance of a running game, and if we do that I think we go bowling.

Absolutely. At least we are fighting. In the past, SU will have lost by 30 points at least.

Defense has definitely improved. It's a shame about Clark - could really use his beef on the line.

At the same time, that LSU team had a bad oline and a young d. NC State is a better team then LSU. The kids are playing hard. The offensive line is not going to improve enough this year to get any tough wins. They are simply overmatched.

I watched Miami last night. They are more athletic and have better skill players then NC State. FSU will not doubt be more talented, but they are in a rut. Pitt, Wake and BC are all at home and winnable (though we may not be favorite in any of these games). This team is 5-7 at best. The MTSU loss was unacceptable and did us in as far as bowl aspirations go.

hard to tell how good we are starting when the first throw is an INT 2 weeks in a row. its not like we didnt move the ball this game, only had 4 possessions the first half and moved it fine for over 200 yds.

we are

th.jpg

2nd half was very encouraging. There are some players on this team, and more will be coming.

I still think we make more back breaking mistakes than most teams, but I continue to hope it's fixable.

Stripes didn't do us any favors today. Not calling anything on Chubb is infuriating. No way that guy has earned such protection.

Next week has to be a W. Just has to be.

Too bad our schedule is the most difficult in FBS this year. Any other year this is a bowl team.

Now we're forced to pull off one or two upsets against heavily favored teams just to make a lower tier bowl game. All without any hint of a running game.

I'm not so sure the previous staff plays to the end of the game at LSU and at this NC St team.

Overall, great post! The ONLY thing I disagree with is your comment above. I think our players have shown tremendous grit and a never give up attitude over the last few years (not just under Dino - who I love by the way). What I see now (compared to years prior) are coaches who can make better adjustments during the game and young men who continue to show heart no matter the score.

I tend to agree. Still not sold on the offense and play calling but I used to watch the last decade to see how SU could set football back 50 years in one game. Now I watch to watch us try and win. It's a huge difference.

Defense has definitely improved. It's a shame about Clark - could really use his beef on the line.

At the same time, that LSU team had a bad oline and a young d. NC State is a better team then LSU. The kids are playing hard. The offensive line is not going to improve enough this year to get any tough wins. They are simply overmatched.

I watched Miami last night. They are more athletic and have better skill players then NC State. FSU will not doubt be more talented, but they are in a rut. Pitt, Wake and BC are all at home and winnable (though we may not be favorite in any of these games). This team is 5-7 at best. The MTSU loss was unacceptable and did us in as far as bowl aspirations go.
But people said we can't play the Tampa 2...

I tend to agree. Still not sold on the offense and play calling but I used to watch the last decade to see how SU could set football back 50 years in one game. Now I watch to watch us try and win. It's a huge difference.

This. It’s no small thing. It’s fun knowing we *can* win any game.. and that the recruiting is improving.

I can tell you who it is we'll knock off.

Clemson.

For no other reason other than I feel it in my bones.

But what about people who have no desire to feel your bones?

We are very far away from doing what Babers wants to do on O. We do better the more we go away from the bread and butter of this system. The problem is the talent not the system. The O coaches need to call plays like we are down 3 scores to start the game. This happened last year too where we started slow because we tried forcing the run. I know the running game is a big part of his system, but you need to also win games. And if we are going to run the ball please move Strickland to slot.

But what about people who have no desire to feel your bones?

If you don't want to feel my bones...then I'd say you should keep the orange, replace the blue with purple then run down a hill and touch a rock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom