Back from Blacksburg | Syracusefan.com

Back from Blacksburg

Zippy1808

2nd String
Even though Virginia Tech and Cassell Coliseum are not "new" places for us to play (we were there last year, not to mention our many years together in the Big East)... I still enjoy hitting the road and watching us play in as many new places as possible.

My trip to Blacksburg (485 miles each way on the road from NJ) was an enjoyable one, and I'd definitely go back. We stayed in a suite in the Holiday Inn right across the street from campus for $109. No basketball weekend markups here, that's for sure. Walked across campus Friday night to the "downtown" area of College Avenue and Main Street. Did not see a single person on the 20-minute walk. It was odd. Many bars were closed for winter break, but many were open as well. Hopped between a few places, then ran into Mike, Donna and Dennis from the Post-Standard who were also having some drinks. They were extremely engaging and happy to talk hoops and other topics for a while.

The noon start actually worked out for me personally, as I would be driving back right after the game. Did not attempt to do any pre-gaming because of that - so not sure if there were any SU fan gatherings anywhere. It was a misty, not-too-cold morning in Blacksburg, but in our walk towards the arena, again we did not encounter any people. It was really odd. Kept asking if there was really a game! Eventually as we got closer, sure enough, the people surfaced. We went into Cassell about 45 minutes early to watch warm-ups. Had great seats at half-court a few rows up, which I purchased at a very reasonable price.

For an older building, it was not as dumpy as I expected. The seats are wooden and tiny, but the concourses look renovated - there's carpet - and the bathrooms had also been updated. One of the weirdest things was these two giant industrial fans on the arched ceiling - yes they were big, but it's hard to see what actual cooling effect they had on the arena.

Certainly not sold out as you saw on TV, but it filled in nicely except where the student section would be. And when we started blowing the lead, it was LOUD. Seriously loud. All of the VA Tech fans we ran into were very welcoming and polite (although one thought our coach was named "Bow-Heim)... definitely some southern hospitality at work. Our fanbase was also very well-represented, as usual. The ticket-taker noticed that too, even when we walked in at 11:15.

Don't need to dissect the game here - that's been done. But was happy, all in all, to make the drive and see an entertaining game (and not a blowout) in which we ultimately got the win.

Tech's campus is gigantic - many of the buildings are designed the same way in "Hokie Stone." We spent some time at the April 16 Memorial to the victims of the 2007 shootings - which is not far from one of the buildings where the shootings happened. (The other, a dorm, is right across from the basketball arena)

Blackburg isn't the easiest place to get to for most people - but if you can do it - I recommend the trip next time!

Next up: Dean Dome!

Last edited:
Even though Virginia Tech and Cassell Coliseum are not "new" places for us to play (we were there last year, not to mention our many years together in the Big East)... I still enjoy hitting the road and watching us play in as many new places as possible.

My trip to Blacksburg (485 miles each way on the road from NJ) was an enjoyable one, and I'd definitely go back. We stayed in a suite in the Holiday Inn right across the street from campus for $109. No basketball weekend markups here, that's for sure. Walked across campus Friday night to the "downtown" area of College Avenue and Main Street. Did not see a single person on the 20-minute walk. It was odd. Many bars were closed for winter break, but many were open as well. Hopped between a few places, then ran into Mike, Donna and Dennis from the Post-Standard who were also having some drinks. They were extremely engaging and happy to talk hoops and other topics for a while.

The noon start actually worked out for me personally, as I would be driving back right after the game. Did not attempt to do any pre-gaming because of that - so not sure if there were any SU fan gatherings anywhere. It was a misty, not-too-cold morning in Blacksburg, but in our walk towards the arena, again we did not encounter any people. It was really odd. Kept asking if there was really a game! Eventually as we got closer, sure enough, the people surfaced. We went into Cassell about 45 minutes early to watch warm-ups. Had great seats at half-court a few rows up, which I purchased at a very reasonable price.

For an older building, it was not as dumpy as I expected. The seats are wooden and tiny, but the concourses look renovated - there's carpet - and the bathrooms had also been updated. One of the weirdest things was these two giant industrial fans on the arched ceiling - yes they were big, but it's hard to see what actual cooling effect they had on the arena.

Certainly not sold out as you saw on TV, but it filled in nicely except where the student section would be. And when we started blowing the lead, it was LOUD. Seriously loud. All of the VA Tech fans we ran into were very welcoming and polite (although one thought our coach was named "Bow-Heim)... definitely some southern hospitality at work. Our fanbase was also very well-represented, as usual. The ticket-taker noticed that too, even when we walked in at 11:15.

Don't need to dissect the game here - that's been done. But was happy, all in all, to make the drive and see an entertaining game (and not a blowout) in which we ultimately got the win.

Tech's campus is gigantic - many of the buildings are designed the same way in "Hokie Stone." We spent some time at the April 16 Memorial to the victims of the 2007 shootings - which is not far from one of the buildings where the shootings happened. (The other, a dorm, is right across from the basketball arena)

Blackburg isn't the easiest place to get to for most people - but if you can do it - I recommend the trip next time!

Great write up, Zippy. Thank you for sharing. I live in DC and really want to make it down to Blacksburg when we play there in football.

Good write-up. Thanks for sharing. I've never been to Blacksburg, but I got a good sense of the campus from your report. Glad you got to meet Mike, Donna and Dennis. They are good people, and fun to spend time with. See you at the Dean Dome!

We never played at VT in Big East hoops.

We never played at VT in Big East hoops.
Good catch... 3 times at home but never on the road. (I also forgot they were only in the Big East for basketball for a few seasons)

Great report, Zippy! Tomcat would approve. I can't wait for your report from the Dean Dome. I was in it a few years ago for my nephew's graduation from medical school. It was the year UNC won it all, but all they cared about was that they BEAT DUKE! Seriously, it was in the graduation speeches. It wasn't about the championship. It was about being better than Duke.

Those Carolina and Duke fans have the blood lust, there is no doubt about it.