Bad press impact on recruiting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bad press impact on recruiting

i have no idea if it will impact a recruit or if it won’t. But I don’t think you realize what it’s been like on campus and the publicity it’s getting. Especially with the manifesto much more so than the graffiti. The national media will move on eventually. But there will still be stories and they could impact things and even more so are things like the Facebook pages. There are plenty of parents of prospective students that read those pages. We did. Many we know who’s kids were considering SU did. The school tells you about them when you’re considering the school. A couple of them have very detailed posts from current parents about the scare. The manifesto really upped the fears. It was a manifesto used by a killer who shot and killed 50 people. While it appears the manifesto was just a scare tactic it put real fear in students and parents. Then when the hoax attack on BBB hit, people went nuts. Students refusing to leave their room. Students crying. Parents coming to take their kids home. All detailed on these Facebook pages. Who knows if recruits parents look at that stuff like many parents do. But no matter how fake some of this stuff may be a hoax, the fears were/are real.

And BTW, many athletes have shown their support to the protesters and some have even shown up. That could also have a ripple effect.

We’ll never know if a prospect didn’t choose SU because of this stuff.

hadn't seen that.

I guess I haven't seen the 'new' events because I haven't see it publicized on much more than local news and hadn't made the rounds. But back to the main point of the thread which was, will there be an the 'impact on recruiting'. I say none.
Fine. We disagree. I think it will cost us at least one recruit. Hopefully not anymore than that. We are trying to get there. And this doesn't help. We need every advantage we can get. Not potential disadvantages. I hope you are right. Obviously.

I guess I haven't seen the 'new' events because I haven't see it publicized on much more than local news and hadn't made the rounds. But back to the main point of the thread which was, will there be an the 'impact on recruiting'. I say none.
The New Zealand Shooters manifesto was dropped 9 minutes before 51 were massacred. Its a threat, and why the FBI is there.

It may or may not have. While we didn't have anyone come out and say straight out that the incident is making them decommit or it was the reason why they chose to go to another school, we don't know what may have been said about it in family discussions that influenced the recruits' decisions.

Well since you're coming off a bball Natty, lax Natty, and a good run in football, I'm going with negligible.

hadn't seen that.

serious question. You don’t follow b-ball? I ask because the b-ball board has a 1,000 page thread on all this.

Got several stories, including AP and Reuters, about this in my news feed this morning. It's out there. Whether 17, 18 year old kids down south pick up on any of this...? I agree that it is in virtually everyone's interest that the morons who have been pulling this crap are apprehended ASAP.
Most 17,18 year old kids don't have news feeds they look through each morning. It is out there for sure but typically it won't be something the kids see unless they are looking for it.
Hell I don't either for various reasons.
Agree that the people need apprehended quickly .

Well since you're coming off a bball Natty, lax Natty, and a good run in football, I'm going with negligible.
The incident was in 2017. The nattys and the good run in football were in the 2018-19 school year. Were there wholesale defections? Of course not. Did it affect the decision of 1 or 2 football or basketball recruits that would have been good-to-excellent additions? We'll never know.

serious question. You don’t follow b-ball? I ask because the b-ball board has a 1,000 page thread on all this.

I contributed early on to the students boycotting the game thread. But overall I don’t spend a lot of time on the hoop board. It’s mostly handwringing and complaining.

I only found out because my co workers son is a sophomore at su and we always talk about cuse. It's not like it's all over the news. It will blow over and I hope they catch the idiots involved and throw the book store them.

I only found out because my co workers son is a sophomore at su and we always talk about cuse. It's not like it's all over the news. It will blow over and I hope they catch the idiots involved and throw the book store them.

It’s all over the news. Read other posts here by dasher and myself.

In Orlando I haven't seen anything. If you look for it I'm sure u can find it, if not...

This is the first article I've seen - Syracuse University chancellor: Here’s what we know about suspects in racist incidents

It states : “To date, law enforcement has not been able to locate a single individual who directly received an AirDrop. Not one,” Syverud said. “It was apparent that this rumor was probably a hoax, but that reality was not communicated clearly and rapidly enough to get ahead of escalating anxiety.”

The article was buried on syr.com homepage

It was on the NBC national news. The FBI is involved.
Its News.

I had someone here in North Carolina ask me about the shooting at Syracuse. Turned out they were talking about this set of events. For some it’s like there is a general awareness something negative happened but no recall of details (which might be worse)

We're dealing with recruits who might make a decision based on shoe color. (Certainly shoe company).

With that said, there will be little if any impact on recruiting from this episode.

In Orlando I haven't seen anything. If you look for it I'm sure u can find it, if not...

This is the first article I've seen - Syracuse University chancellor: Here’s what we know about suspects in racist incidents

It states : “To date, law enforcement has not been able to locate a single individual who directly received an AirDrop. Not one,” Syverud said. “It was apparent that this rumor was probably a hoax, but that reality was not communicated clearly and rapidly enough to get ahead of escalating anxiety.”

The article was buried on syr.com homepage
It was in your daily paper twice.

I wonder what’s worse for recruiting that relies heavily on African American athletes...a University that is trying to act on the protestors’ demands, or the non inconsequential percentage of the white online fan base trashing the African American protesters and telling them to leave school and calling for violence against them.

Last edited:
Sad when the actions of a teeny tiny group affect the tens of thousands past and present students who have always embraced diversity. It’s a bunch of BS and most know it

It was on the Today show today. The nightly news last night. They don't have tv's in Florida, North Carolina or Georgia? This can't help recruiting. Let's start there. And if one kid says no to Syracuse in part because of it, it hurts recruiting.

i live in Georgia and have seen this on several sources ... anyone thinking otherwise is foolish.