Barton interested in Cuse | Syracusefan.com

Barton interested in Cuse

I know Memphis is no Harvard, but graduating in 3 years is pretty impressive. I see no downside to Barton joining the orange.

As long as he realizes he isn't guaranteed a certain amount of playing time, he'd seem to be a perfect fit

I mentioned him last week after Jeff Goodman tweeted this. He is the perfect insurance policy for this team and could help us win that 1 NCAA tournament game where a guard struggles. He could play PG with Gbinije, Cooney on the court OR play SG with Ennis on the court, and is perfect depth. Plus, he is from Baltimore and tight with C.J. Fair and they could go on a last ride together. That game @Maryland looks good on the schedule now as a homecoming for Fair and potentially Barton.

As long as he realizes he isn't guaranteed a certain amount of playing time, he'd seem to be a perfect fit
Was told last weekend that he's looking for a spot where he'll play a lot of minutes, but if that doesn't work out with his other options, then we'll have a shot.

The rule that they can play immediately if they take a program not offered at their original school drives me nuts. I feel like they will search for a program that is not offered just to be able to take advantage of the rule. I'd rather the player be allowed to play immediately if he has graduated and has remaining eligibility. There's certainly worse things than rewarding a kid for graduating early.

The rule that they can play immediately if they take a program not offered at their original school drives me nuts. I feel like they will search for a program that is not offered just to be able to take advantage of the rule. I'd rather the player be allowed to play immediately if he has graduated and has remaining eligibility. There's certainly worse things than rewarding a kid for graduating early.
Seriously, heaven forbid a student-athlete actually accomplishes the main goal of college and graduate. Let's force a student to study something meaningless for a year so he can leave after being a great student for 3 years.

I feel good about next year's team, but I'll feel great about the team if they can add Barton.

For those that care - next year our backcourt as currently consitituted has about 550 minutes of DI game experience. Barton on his own has played about 2000. I think his experience with a winning program is just as valuable if note more than his shooting.

I know Memphis is no Harvard, but graduating in 3 years is pretty impressive. I see no downside to Barton joining the orange.

Me neither. We have the scholarship, and it wouldn't impact future recruiting at all [similar to the Allen situation with the football team], but it will bolster backcourt depth / talent / experience. No downside.

I also like the SU ties [CJ, the Chopper]--can't hurt our chances.

The rule that they can play immediately if they take a program not offered at their original school drives me nuts. I feel like they will search for a program that is not offered just to be able to take advantage of the rule.

Hahaha, you don't say!

Could be a great fit.

Forgive my memory, What happened to Will? Did he go to NBA?

if Barton's okay with only getting 15 mpg, then i would love to add him to our roster. he sounds like exactly the kind of glue guy we need to add clubhouse leadership and solidify our PG spot to make a deep run in the NCAAs this year. and if he can knock down a free 3's along the way, all the better!

if Barton's okay with only getting 15 mpg, then i would love to add him to our roster. he sounds like exactly the kind of glue guy we need to add clubhouse leadership and solidify our PG spot to make a deep run in the NCAAs this year. and if he can knock down a free 3's along the way, all the better!
Well... who's to say he'd only play 15 a game? We all have high hopes for Ennis, Gbinije and Patterson and are banking on Cooney improving but none of them are sure things really. Barton might get a lot of time for all we know.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well... who's to say he'd only play 15 a game? We all have high hopes for Ennis, Gbinije and Patterson and are banking on Cooney improving but none of them are sure things really. Barton might get a lot of time for all we know.

Agree. Let everyone compete and let the best man play.

3 guard line-up. Don't think that would do well in the zone, but I'm not convinced that our offense is going to be that good with Rac and Coleman on the floor getting a boatload of minutes.

the only concern I have is that it will breed resentment - a lot of newcomers in the backcourt who were expecting to get minutes suddenly see a pal of the team's star jump ahead of them in line.

adding Barton means one of the guards has to at least consider a redshirt. It ain't gonna be Ennis, Gbinje and Cooney have already taken one, and Patterson has spent a season in prep school. That leaves BJ, and we know his family is very opposed to it.

I trust JB to know what he is doing, but this roster is full of guys who expect to play . . . sometimes a bad attitude festering on the bench can hurt a team more than a substandard starter on the court.

the only concern I have is that it will breed resentment - a lot of newcomers in the backcourt who were expecting to get minutes suddenly see a pal of the team's star jump ahead of them in line.

adding Barton means one of the guards has to at least consider a redshirt. It ain't gonna be Ennis, Gbinje and Cooney have already taken one, and Patterson has spent a season in prep school. That leaves BJ, and we know his family is very opposed to it.

I trust JB to know what he is doing, but this roster is full of guys who expect to play . . . sometimes a bad attitude festering on the bench can hurt a team more than a substandard starter on the court.

I don't worry about resentment JB is trying to win another NC and our depth in the backcourt is unknown. Barton isn't going to come here and play 30 mpg we all know that, but maybe if it takes Trevor Cooney 3 years to develop instead of 2 then we need another guard. I have no clue how good Patterson or Johnson are, but if they can't realize a 5 star FR PG who is going to go in the lottery this year MCW waited 1 year before excelling this past year then they aren't team players, and I believe Johnson/Patterson are team players, and if they performed better than Barton JB would play them.

I would think Johnson/Patterson would still get playing time in the non-conference and would be needed for foul trouble in the ACC as we don't know the refs will call our games down there. Right now we have Gbinije, Cooney, Ennis, Patterson, Johnson I would feel more comfortable with 1 more guy with experience, and Barton is a perfect piece for this team.

I'm not saying anything's set in stone or any promises about minutes should be made - of course all the guards should compete and the best players get the most minutes - but from the outset i'd like to first make sure he'd be okay, if other guards demand more minutes, with playing less than 20 himself. that's critical for lockerroom morale.

I don't worry about resentment JB is trying to win another NC and our depth in the backcourt is unknown. Barton isn't going to come here and play 30 mpg we all know that, but maybe if it takes Trevor Cooney 3 years to develop instead of 2 then we need another guard. I have no clue how good Patterson or Johnson are, but if they can't realize a 5 star FR PG who is going to go in the lottery this year MCW waited 1 year before excelling this past year then they aren't team players, and I believe Johnson/Patterson are team players, and if they performed better than Barton JB would play them.

I would think Johnson/Patterson would still get playing time in the non-conference and would be needed for foul trouble in the ACC as we don't know the refs will call our games down there. Right now we have Gbinije, Cooney, Ennis, Patterson, Johnson I would feel more comfortable with 1 more guy with experience, and Barton is a perfect piece for this team.

I agree... I don't care how good you are, if a freshman coming in thinks that by virtue of his high school career and talents he deserves time right off the bat, than screw that... Competition should yield starters... Let the best man win...

I agree... I don't care how good you are, if a freshman coming in thinks that by virtue of his high school career and talents he deserves time right off the bat, than screw that... Competition should yield starters... Let the best man win...
that is short sighted . . . may the best man win is a nice bumper sticker, but in reality, the ones who lose are often resentful. Louie McCroskey and Josh Wright killed good teams with their bad attitudes, which didn't present themselves until they found themselves holding the shjt end of the stick. Hell, even Dion stewed in resentment his freshman year (and, surprise surprise, that was the only season in the last 4 that the team didn't win at least 30 games and advance at least to the Sweet 16).

We all hope it doesn't rear its head again, but it is certainly something to be concerned about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom