Barton interested in Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Barton interested in Cuse

Why do so many here consider BJ a shooting guard? No way he gets on the court this year over Mike G and Cooney at that position. At 6'7 he seems more suited to the SF position. Although, with CJ there, he's not going to be seeing much time on the court at that position either.

JB rarely redshirts players and BJ does not want to redshirt but I wonder if most won't think that BJ had a wasted year at the end of next season. There is a possibility that we need his 3 point shooting and he gets playing time because of it. But I think there is a stronger possibility that he averages 5 minutes or less a game next year. At 186 lbs from last report, he really needs to get stronger to compete at the next level.

Barton would be a great get because I'm sure JB is just planning on using him as a backup point. He can play the 2 but is not a great fit in our zone at his size at the 2. So I don't see any of our 2's being upset if he comes.

Why do so many here consider BJ a shooting guard? No way he gets on the court this year over Mike G and Cooney at that position. At 6'7 he seems more suited to the SF position. Although, with CJ there, he's not going to be seeing much time on the court at that position either.

JB rarely redshirts players and BJ does not want to redshirt but I wonder if most won't think that BJ had a wasted year at the end of next season. There is a possibility that we need his 3 point shooting and he gets playing time because of it. But I think there is a stronger possibility that he averages 5 minutes or less a game next year. At 186 lbs from last report, he really needs to get stronger to compete at the next level.

Barton would be a great get because I'm sure JB is just planning on using him as a backup point. He can play the 2 but is not a great fit in our zone at his size at the 2. So I don't see any of our 2's being upset if he comes.

Because his father may post in the forum. That pretty much sums up most of the hype surrounding BJ.

Because his father may post in the forum. That pretty much sums up most of the hype surrounding BJ.
Really? That's why people are excited about BJ?

Sure thing, dude. I seem to recall a certain Syracuse quarterback whose grandmother posted frequently, and that didn't stop people from bagging on him. BJ is getting hype because he's a 6-7 athlete who is a very good shooter.

I'm all for Barton coming aboard as long as he's cool with facing a backup PG role with the opportunity to be more than that depending on how the rest of the backcourt shakes out.

Sure thing, dude. I seem to recall a certain Syracuse quarterback whose grandmother posted frequently, and that didn't stop people from bagging on him. BJ is getting hype because he's a 6-7 athlete who is a very good shooter.
Andxddddd... He told us to get ready for a national championship. I've been blasting Queen ever aince.

that is short sighted . . . may the best man win is a nice bumper sticker, but in reality, the ones who lose are often resentful. Louie McCroskey and Josh Wright killed good teams with their bad attitudes, which didn't present themselves until they found themselves holding the shjt end of the stick. Hell, even Dion stewed in resentment his freshman year (and, surprise surprise, that was the only season in the last 4 that the team didn't win at least 30 games and advance at least to the Sweet 16).

We all hope it doesn't rear its head again, but it is certainly something to be concerned about.

No question about it, that one bad egg can kill a team... I'm with you... But I hate entitlement, and I really don't think anything should be promised to an incoming freshman... I also think that our players should be smart enough to know when someone is better than they are, and if one kid sulks, like MCW did his freshman year, it doesn't ruin the chemistry. JB always plays the kids who are better at that moment. I don't think the team thought MCW should have been playing over Scoop, BT, or Dion, so it didn't hurt our momentum. Maybe that's unrealistic today, I don't know. A guy like Barton who has played major D-1 basketball for three years is simply better prepared to run a team next year than most of your incoming players. Perhaps, that's not the case with our kids coming in, but I guess we will find out...

I don't think that's it at all. When its all said and done, BJ might end up being the best player in this class. I think he's going to be an outstanding system fit and a very good player for us down the road.

Athletic wings with his size / versatility thrive in our system. His dad posting here is nice, but it doesn't factor at all into my opinion of what BJ's long term potential is.

I don't think that's it at all. When its all said and done, BJ might end up being the best player in this class. I think he's going to be an outstanding system fit and a very good player for us down the road.

Athletic wings with his size / versatility thrive in our system. His dad posting here is nice, but it doesn't factor at all into my opinion of what BJ's long term potential is.
he certainly looks to have all the qualities that make up the prototypical SU wing, and he looks to be the kind of guy who can have a very productive future here. but, he is going to have to wait his turn. One hopes that he is in the mold of a Demetris Nichols, who was patient and built playing time over the course of a career to finally end up having an all conference season (and not in the mold of a Mike Jones, who had all the potential and coulda/shoulda/woulda but just wasn't willing to wait).

I don't see Barton as a threat to any of the 2G's playing time. He's a PG. Right now all we have at the position is Ennis. Pencil him in for 36 mpg which is not ideal, especially for an inexperienced freshman. If he gets in early foul trouble or rolls an ankle and has to miss a few games we're going to be in big trouble. Mike G or Patterson might be able to play a few minutes at PG but the offense is bound to suffer. Neither is a good option to have to play major minutes at PG. Barton would be a great get.

I could see BJ playing alittle two and Gbinije moving to a Point forward role if we got barton. Unless JB wants to bring a forward off the bench who can really shoot the long ball against something like a zone.

BJ would like to be up to a 190 pounds by next year, and Gbinje will probably be more around 215 with more developed muscles for boarding. Also that would bring opponents pf's out to the perimeter and out of rebounding position in m2m. BJ at 6'7 going against SG's in the paint might not have the strength but he will have the length. And with Gbinijes ability to take a forward off the dribble in the paint they would have to start doubling which would leave BJ open.

At 6'7 its rare for someone to be able to play up top in the zone. And its awfully hard to roll around screens at that height constantly. But maybe JB knows something. :D

Although without Gbinije or Barton playing some guard, we won't get enough scoring from our backcourt imo. As for Bartons 3 point percentage he wasn't exactly going up against good competition at memphis.

I would love this. The more ballhandlers the better. Ennis will be fine most likely but there will be games where he struggles and will need to watch from the bench and learn during stretches of games. Having Barton could be big here. Not that Barton is a mentor-type but you know what I mean. I would think Cooney and Gbinjie at PG would be a rare scenario and frankly one I don't want to see very much. Yes on Barton.

No: JB and staff have told BJ he's likely to see time at the 2 in our system.

Has nothing to do with his dad (and it really is his dad) posting on this forum.

demotivational_poster_Stop----Just-Stop_20120210175635_reg.png

My posting of BJ is simply informative for the Orange Family who may only get bits and pieces of his past season and progress. Of course, I am very excited for my son and his opportunity to play at the CUSE. That's what he wanted and that's what he earned on his abilities. I'm not playing he is. He will be ready to challenge for a spot on the floor next season. I believe that if he continues to work hard as he has starting the second day after winning the CHIP, he will be able to get meaningful minutes and contribute as a Frosh. As a former player, I know what it takes for him to be the best player that he can be. There is no one in the world that is harder on him from a constructive criticism point than me. What don't kill ya only makes you stronger. At this time, BJ is 6'7.5 and 186pds. He continues to lift everyday with football team adding muscle and conduct daily hoops workouts in all phases of the game. Trust me your gonna like the way he looks when you finally see him on the campus. The coaches will make the decisions on who plays, redshirts, etc. based on basketball talent and team needs. We're never scared and always working to be better. Go through and check his brief history and you will see why the coaching staff and others are excited about BJ coming to the CUSE. He was highly recruited by ACC, BE, B10 and other conferences based on what they scouted. Allow me to introduce myself: Mr. and Mrs. OG Bobby Johnson newest SU family members...
proud parents.jpg

The funny thing is Mike G is about a half inch shorter and 15 pounds heavier than BJ and he is a 2G who has been practicing at the one, but the idea of BJ at the 2G seem far fetched to people. Height does not define your position...your game does. An undersized power forward or center is a guy with a PF or C's game but not the height to play it at an elite level. The same is true for big guards, I means we just went to the FF with a 6'-6" PG but 6'-7 1/2" is too tall to be a 2G. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is Mike G is about a half inch shorter and 15 pounds heavier than BJ and he is a 2G who has been practicing at the one, but the idea of BJ at the 2G seem far fetched to people. Height does not define your position...your game does. An undersized power forward or center is a guy with a PF or C's game but not the height to play it at an elite level. The same is true for big guards, I means we just went to the FF with a 6'-6" PG but 6'-7 1/2" is too tall to be a 2G. :rolleyes:
There is not that much difference in playing 2 or 3 as those positions are usually the most difficult positions to play in college and in the league. They are defined by how you play defense and your ability to handle the rock in situations as well as to score off the bounce and catching and shooting off of picks etc. Having significant size at those positions along with the skill set is a plus at either position. Being able to handle the ball as 2 0r 3 just puts the pressure on the defense and also takes the pressure off the team offensively to have the point handle the majority of the time. I think that it is going to be a nice problem to have.

All for Barton...Ennis is going to have his hardships..happens to most freshmen...Barton would be a great get for us for one season

There is not that much difference in playing 2 or 3 as those positions are usually the most difficult positions to play in college and in the league. They are defined by how you play defense and your ability to handle the rock in situations as well as to score off the bounce and catching and shooting off of picks etc. Having significant size at those positions along with the skill set is a plus at either position. Being able to handle the ball as 2 0r 3 just puts the pressure on the defense and also takes the pressure off the team offensively to have the point handle the majority of the time. I think that it is going to be a nice problem to have.
My question as to BJ playing the 2 isn't his body now. Its the potential for growth. As young as he is, is he still growing? You may just be the man to ask if he is lol. Because if in two years he's 6'10 his future might be better served in the frontcourt.

Funny how JB bashed the transfer rules about a month ago at a NCAA tourney presser and now we are on the verge of getting Barton

I'm all in as long as Barton understands he is coming here to be the backup PG and get 12-15 minutes a game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom