Barton interested in Cuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Barton interested in Cuse

Think back to mookie and the joseph experiement at the two. Sliding back and forth and rolling around screens with a 6'7 frame isn't easy. Thats one of the 2-3 strengths in the back you don't need to slide laterally as much as uptop.

Not saying it couldn't work, as JB is a master of the 2-3 zone. With syracuse being a ideal forward school he would have went for it more in the last 15 years I think if he was so confident it would work. Defensive lateral quickness is a rare quality you just can't throw any 6'7 guy up there.
Guys like Dion, Mike freshmen cooney for short minutes and jr triche for short minutes were darn good at it.

My question as to BJ playing the 2 isn't his body now. Its the potential for growth. As young as he is, is he still growing? You may just be the man to ask if he is lol. Because if in two years he's 6'10 his future might be better served in the frontcourt.
He is still growing but with his skill set and ability to handle the ball and defend at this time is a plus for the team. If his is 6'10'' in the next two years, LOOK OUT!!! That might be the type of player that SU has not had in a long time with the skill set and size. A player that size with KD ability to handle and shoot as we look into the crystal ball.

He is still growing but with his skill set and ability to handle the ball and defend at this time is a plus for the team. If his is 6'10'' in the next two years, LOOK OUT!!! That might be the type of player that SU has not had in a long time with the skill set and size. A player that size with KD ability to handle and shoot as we look into the crystal ball.
uh oh . . . you don't know what you've started here. Within a month, your son will be projected as a future 7 footer with 2 guard skills.

No pressure, BJ:)

uh oh . . . you don't know what you've started here. Within a month, your son will be projected as a future 7 footer with 2 guard skills.
The beauty of opinion. Lol

Within a month? I'm projecting that now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ennis is a top notch Fr., but I have been concerned about depth for next year at the point. The last time we had 5 Star Fr. PG (Flynn), we had Scoop to back him up, with Devo and Andy at the 2. Harris was a Soph and could fill a lot of holes.

If Barton decides to come, we will be loaded. Even with a limited time proviso, if he is good enough to be a differnce maker, JB will play him.

Hopefully it will a lot winning and fun times as BJ and his team mature right in front of our eyes.

Some people on the board think half the team is still growing. Soon it will be Ennis and 4 7-footers on the court

Some people on the board think half the team is still growing. Soon it will be Ennis and 4 7-footers on the court
bj workout.jpg
BJ just getting done his evenings workout.

There is not that much difference in playing 2 or 3 as those positions are usually the most difficult positions to play in college and in the league. They are defined by how you play defense and your ability to handle the rock in situations as well as to score off the bounce and catching and shooting off of picks etc. Having significant size at those positions along with the skill set is a plus at either position. Being able to handle the ball as 2 0r 3 just puts the pressure on the defense and also takes the pressure off the team offensively to have the point handle the majority of the time. I think that it is going to be a nice problem to have.
Playing the zone as a 2 is a lot different than a 3 man here. Offensively, I agree with you, not much difference, but playing the top of the zone will be a lot different than the wing. How is your son's lateral quickness? I'm guessing his wingspan is perfect for the top of the zone, but is the footwork there too?

Playing the zone as a 2 is a lot different than a 3 man here. Offensively, I agree with you, not much difference, but playing the top of the zone will be a lot different than the wing. How is your son's lateral quickness? I'm guessing his wingspan is perfect for the top of the zone, but is the footwork there too?
His athletic ability and versatility has allowed him to play the top of the zone in the 2-3 as well as on the point of the press along with playing the wing. He was able to defend multiple positions because of his lateral quickness.

His athletic ability and versatility has allowed him to play the top of the zone in the 2-3 as well as on the point of the press along with playing the wing. He was able to defend multiple positions because of his lateral quickness.
With his length and quickness, he is going to be a HUGE asset in the zone. Perfect fit for SU.

There was a great scene in Blue Chips where they add like 3 inches to every player's height. Man, that was a great movie.

With his length and quickness, he is going to be a HUGE asset in the zone. Perfect fit for SU.
While he is training hard at this point increasing his strength and skills, he is only going to enhance his strength and skill set when he gets there working with the coaches and fitness trainers. He is looking forward to getting there in July. Looking into the SU crystal Ball SUball. At this rate of progress, BJ could be approximately 6'8 and 195-200. He has gained 15pds of muscle in the last 1 1/2 months.

Barton would be a valuable pick up. We don't want a repeat of 1996-97 when we had one PG on the roster who just so happened to be a freshman (Hart) with no one to challenge him and a shaky 6-5 shooting guard (Cipolla) having to back him up simply because we had no one else.

View attachment 3400 BJ just getting done his evenings workout.

Next Fall if you are a football fan please stop by our tailgate in the Fine Lot. You can bring some Tastykake from Philly to share. We are also doing a roadtrip to MD if interested. Contact me offline for more details.

Remember unlike the others on the team, The good thing is BJ is 17.5 yrs. old at this point and will not be 18 until December. The others are 1 to 4 yrs. older than he is and may have hit there ceiling in height/weight, mainly the upperclassmen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom