Baseball scandal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Baseball scandal

Boston media - scourge of the free world. :rolleyes:
two world championships. If you win, you are forgiven for a lot of sins.
Oh, I get it. But involved with both teams that will end up suspending managers and GM's for a full year? The case could be made he's the key player here.

If I'm an owner, not sure I would take the chance. Would I want to take the heat many fans would provide?
1578954434943.gif

If you think those guys hammer the team, I don't know what to say to you. Tom E Curren? Does he hammer them too? Those guys are all Pats home boys. They are all fans and want the team to win.
When they deserve criticism those guys give it to the team. Look at how the team has performed.

The troll coverage drums up everything for drama. They treat the team like they are the freaking Cleveland Browns.
Sorry but I am telling you this is a generational thing.

There are all types of cheating Kelly. the yanks allowed Pineada to go out and pitch against the Red Sox with gobs of Pine tar on his neck. That is cheating. Pineada was caught and thrown out of the game. pitchers have doctored balls for over 100 years. Hitters have doctored bats for over 100 years. Guys played with roids. MLB hasn't really caught up with the technology. That is what happened here. I agree that any team caught doing this crap has to face the music. the Astros did today. the Red Sox will in a few weeks. Not as bad as the Astros, but bad enough. Cora will never manage another game for the Red Sox.
yes, there are all types of cheating or trying to get an edge. Remember the apple watch red sox fiasco of 2017? Using cameras to steal signs is on a whole other level though in my opinion. The pine tar incident got the pitcher thrown out of the game, the roid's issue is partly on Bud Selig for not doing something about it sooner. Look at what happened after all those players got named as using illegal substances? They're forever tainted because of the cheating as it should be.

yes, there are all types of cheating or trying to get an edge. Remember the apple watch red sox fiasco of 2017? Using cameras to steal signs is on a whole other level though in my opinion. The pine tar incident got the pitcher thrown out of the game, the roid's issue is partly on Bud Selig for not doing something about it sooner. Look at what happened after all those players got named as using illegal substances? They're forever tainted because of the cheating as it should be.
This is why the team deserves harsher penalties than the Astros.
They are habitual cheaters.
They broke the rules with the Apple IPhone in 2017 and then the broke the international signings in South America with the agents.
They got penalized for both cases.
Thus they are on probation.
Give John Henry a massive fine and take a ton of draft picks.

I recall that when MLB instituted the rule to review plays in 2016 that the Yankees and Astros were watching the video replay to figure out the signs. MLB told them both to knock it off and then created a new rule that no team could use the video replays to decipher signs. I'll see if I can find the original article I read about it.

As a diehard Yankees fan, if MLB accuses them of doing the same thing as the Red Sox and Astros I would want the manager and GM fired. What's the point of investing yourself in sports if the teams cheat to win? It's bad enough with some of the horrible officiating that prevalent in all sports.

yeppers. Several teams, including the Yankees, were doing this in 2016. MLB found out told everyone to stop it and implemented a rule. Looks like a couple teams said screw it and ignored the rule.

This is why the team deserves harsher penalties than the Astros.
They are habitual cheaters.
They broke the rules with the Apple IPhone in 2017 and then the broke the international signings in South America with the agents.
They got penalized for both cases.
Thus they are on probation.
Give John Henry a massive fine and take a ton of draft picks.
Worse than the Astros? That is funny. Look, you can't no matter how hard you try, try to lump the Red Sox in with the pats for cheating. Just can't be done. But I appreciate the effort. By the way, Steven Wright teaming up with Evan couldn't be more perfect. Roids cheater...suspended 50 games check , wife beater suspended again, check, teams with Evan D to avenge the Astros check

The general manager claims to have not known what was going on. Not sure how I feel about this, deny all you want but then you're pretty damn bad at your job for not knowing what your coaches and players are doing while being paid by the Astros. No integrity with this statement, at all.

The general manager claims to have not known what was going on. Not sure how I feel about this, deny all you want but then you're pretty damn bad at your job for not knowing what your coaches and players are doing while being paid by the Astros. No integrity with this statement, at all.

there is a video of the trash can banging. He knew

When you think about it, this has been a couple of tough days for the city of Houston

When you think about it, this has been a couple of tough days for the city of Houston
To be fair ... there was one quarter of glory where it looked like a home conference championship game would be had

There are too many connections to the Cardinals for them not to be one of the other teams implicated.

If they wait until after he is suspended, they won't have to pay him. I don't blame them one bit for waiting

Fair point. I dont blame them. Frankly they have too much dead money as it is

what's not mentioned in the thread is Altuve cheating his way to an MVP, Judge came in 2nd in voting in 2017

The last time the Yankees had a player win Rookie of the Year and MVP was Thurman Munson. Judge won Rookie of the Year in 2017.

I recall that when MLB instituted the rule to review plays in 2016 that the Yankees and Astros were watching the video replay to figure out the signs. MLB told them both to knock it off and then created a new rule that no team could use the video replays to decipher signs. I'll see if I can find the original article I read about it.

As a diehard Yankees fan, if MLB accuses them of doing the same thing as the Red Sox and Astros I would want the manager and GM fired. What's the point of investing yourself in sports if the teams cheat to win? It's bad enough with some of the horrible officiating that prevalent in all sports.
8.5 million per game win in the World Series. That’s the value to teams. Just spent the last couple hours with a guy I know who works for the dodgers. He told us about how he witnessed Milwaukee cheating back in the nlcs a few years ago. They all do it.

and the dodgers are pissed.

8.5 million per game win in the World Series. That’s the value to teams. Just spent the last couple hours with a guy I know who works for the dodgers. He told us about how he witnessed Milwaukee cheating back in the nlcs a few years ago. They all do it.

and the dodgers are pissed.
the okay to do that has to come from the head office. I don't doubt what you're saying, when a couple teams cheating is so blatant and nothing is done to stop them I can see why other teams would start doing the same. I'm really interested to see if other clubs are outed for the same. There is a good opinion piece about it in Washington Post today

"This scandal is a perfect illustration of why cheating in professional sports is so bad. It ruins everything. There is no way to fix the damage. And that scar across a sport’s visage is permanent, as with the World Series 101 years ago that is still known by just two words: Black Sox.

That is why it is so important to make every effort to catch cheaters and crush those who get caught with penalties that get the attention of the next person who is tempted to do the same. We never seem to understand the true weight of the phrase “integrity of the game” until some team or player tries to rip it to shreds to win.

At moments such as this, we vaguely realize that the entire construct of organized pro sports is artificial, almost a tenuously balanced house of cards. You don’t have to knock down much of the edifice before fans, also known as customers, have reason to say, “Remind me again why am I paying attention to this.”

Logan Morrison says he has first hand knowledge of the Astros, Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers all cheating.

“I know from first hand accounts that the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, and Red Sox all have used film to pick signs. Just want you guys to know the truth. I personally think it’s a tool in a tool belt to pick signs, but if we are going to be punishing people for it. Don’t half ass it”

We got our next rat.

There are parallels here to the NFL situation in that everyone steals signs. Everyone steals plays. And its completely fine. But the second technology is brought into the mix, it crosses some weird inexplicable line.

I dont like any of it, but its bizarre to me how the guy and 2nd stealing signs is gamesmanship but use of a camera makes it a death sentence

Its hilarious to me that the scandal is an Astros scandal first and a Sox scandal second and the thread is named Red Sox scandal.
The title is appropriate considering the content of the 1st post in the thread.

You missed the Houston thread.

The title is appropriate considering the content of the 1st post in the thread.

You missed the Houston thread.

I stand by fire Cora!!
Fire Sam Kennedy!!!
Take all their draft picks!!!
Prevent them from international signings!!!
Force John Henry to sell the team!!!

The team deserves more punishment than Houston. I had this take January 7th before the Astros penalties were announced.

Logan Morrison says he has first hand knowledge of the Astros, Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers all cheating.

“I know from first hand accounts that the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, and Red Sox all have used film to pick signs. Just want you guys to know the truth. I personally think it’s a tool in a tool belt to pick signs, but if we are going to be punishing people for it. Don’t half ass it”

We got our next rat.
that article is lacking in quite a bit of substance

Tom Verducci wrote about sign stealing and the rule change for Sports Illustrated in Feb 2019

"About six teams last year were commonly understood to have installed in-house cameras in centerfield that were trained on opposing catchers’ signs, according to one general manager. Several other teams were under heavy suspicion. The sign stealing forced most teams to adopt multiple sets of signs even with the bases empty. Those signs were changed often, even within at-bats, which slowed the pace of play. "

In addition to banning all in-house cameras from foul pole to foul pole, the rule provides that:
• The only live feed of a broadcast will be the one provided to each team’s designated replay official.
• A specially trained monitor, not a Resident Security Expect, will be assigned to each designated replay official to make sure that person has no communication with team personnel regarding signs, either in person, by phone or any other device.
• All other bullpen and clubhouse television monitors will receive game broadcasts on an eight-second delay.
• No television monitors are permitted in the tunnels or auxiliary rooms between the dugout and the clubhouse.
• Each club must provide to MLB an audit of every in-house camera, detailing its purpose, its wiring and where its signal can be viewed."