Basking in the glow... | Syracusefan.com

Basking in the glow...

Shenexon

All American
It's hard to figure out just how good we are, but I feel pretty safe in saying we're very good...talented, athletic, and deep. As much as I was hoping for an undefeated season, I'd rather lose to ND in January than many other losses I could envision later in the season. I think it was a good reminder for the team of what it feels like to get beaten. Our guys showed spunk in the 4th quarter and think we saw our go-to guys step up. They didn't want to lose again and didn't let that happen.

It hurt to have Fab out, but it was good for Rak to be placed in a situation where we probably will need him again this season, if not all season, and he did well by the second game as our inside presence. We have 2 valid starters for each position and think JB's ability to rotate players constantly will help us especially at the end of the season. I'm hoping less playing time will translate into less wear and tear at tournament time and hope we can stay healthy and focused till then.

I was pleased with how the team played with a couple of exceptions, and that's the marvel of this squad. We can have a number of "exceptions" in any given game and still be very competitive. I'm fine with squeaking out victories, giving Rak some significant experience and giving KJ, Scoop, and BT some confidence that they can make the plays at crunch time. I personally would like them to be peaking at tournament time with all parts working well with no "exceptions". If we can do THAT by the end of the season we'll move from very good to superb. I'd be ok with that too.

Like your optimism, but two problems with this post... Fab out with an injury?

And... our guys showed spunk in the fourth quarter?

Like your optimism, but two problems with this post... Fab out with an injury?

And... our guys showed spunk in the fourth quarter?
I think if Rak plays center for 5-10 games he'd be serviceable by tournament time with BMK as backup. I'm hoping that's not gonna happen, but anything can happen at any time.

My apologies for the confusion. I look at the game in quarters even though it's two halves. We seem to win the 2nd & 4th quarter a lot and lose the 1st & 3rd.

I think the biggest problem with Rak where we lose out is girth and wingspan in taking up space in the zone and while setting picks for the High PNR. On the flip side.. Rak is a bigtime rebounder when his head in is in the game. He instinctively gets good position on the weak side and goes up quickly to get the board. I think we are a better rebounding team with Rak at the 5. Its difficult to assess at this point.. if he gets more games under his belt maybe the chemistry gets better on offense. I did notice as K-Jo settled down there was more room along the baseline for him to operate than when Fab or BMK is in the game. I really like what JB is doing using the centers to throw that pass from the top of the key to cutting guards .. using our size advantage in the backcourt. If Rak can start progressing with getting better position to put the ball in the hoop in the post.. who knows how bad of a loss this really is. Guardplay and the ability to get to the rim is what is going to be a difference maker come tourney time. Both Rak and BMK can protect the rim. Im optomistic for Fab returning as we all should be as an orange family but I think the tank is much fuller than we thought with Rak on our side.

I think the biggest problem with Rak where we lose out is girth and wingspan in taking up space in the zone and while setting picks for the High PNR. On the flip side.. Rak is a bigtime rebounder when his head in is in the game. He instinctively gets good position on the weak side and goes up quickly to get the board. I think we are a better rebounding team with Rak at the 5. Its difficult to assess at this point.. if he gets more games under his belt maybe the chemistry gets better on offense. I did notice as K-Jo settled down there was more room along the baseline for him to operate than when Fab or BMK is in the game. I really like what JB is doing using the centers to throw that pass from the top of the key to cutting guards .. using our size advantage in the backcourt. If Rak can start progressing with getting better position to put the ball in the hoop in the post.. who knows how bad of a loss this really is. Guardplay and the ability to get to the rim is what is going to be a difference maker come tourney time. Both Rak and BMK can protect the rim. Im optomistic for Fab returning as we all should be as an orange family but I think the tank is much fuller than we thought with Rak on our side.
You know it's really crunch time when KJ, Scoop, & Dion take it to the rim and think that's our most effective way to score as the game winds down. It seems that our outside shooting gets better when prefaced by a drive and kick-out as well. I'm really liking this team and hope the next six weeks are as good as the past 6 weeks have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom