Battle Gone ... per Zags | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Battle Gone ... per Zags

As long as we can get a good center late, I'm OK with him moving on.
I think we just saw his ceiling this year.

Which means we saw it last year. My hope is his % changes even out, he becomes a bit more efficient, and we have a solid 15/8 guy for another year.

Here's the case for Jonny Flynn:

In his first game ever, on November 12, 2007, Flynn scored 28 points which eclipsed former Orange standout Carmelo Anthony's record for most points in a freshman's debut.

Flynn scored 25 points and hit a 3-pointer with 6.4 seconds left in regulation as Syracuse defeated then-No. 23 ESPN/USA Today, No. 22 AP Kansas 89–81 in overtime in the championship game of the CBE Classic. Flynn was named MVP of the Tournament.

Flynn's leaping ability was on display on a January 11, 2009, game against Rutgers. With Syracuse clinging to a 52–48 lead, Flynn drove to the hoop and threw down a monstrous dunk over 6-foot-3 Rutgers guard Michael Rosario as he attempted to draw a charge.

In the quarterfinals of the 2009 Big East Tournament on March 12 and 13, Flynn led the Orange to a 127–117 win in six overtimes over the favored University of Connecticut Huskies. Flynn played 67 out of a possible 70 minutes on the floor that evening, leading the Orange by scoring 34 points, adding 11 assists and making all 16 of his free throw attempts.

The next day, Flynn then played all 45 minutes of Syracuse's 74–69 overtime victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers in the Big East semifinals. He scored 15 points and had 9 assists.

Reading this and reliving all of this in my mind as if it happened yesterday, I have two thoughts. The first is: HOLY CRAP FLYNN WAS A BEAST and we were lucky to get his two years. The second is: this is why Tyus coming back was simply a bonus for us fans given how limited their time to play this game for a living is. Flynn's career was over due to injury at a younger age than Battle is entering the draft at. Get your bag, man, however you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom