Battle Gone ... per Zags | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Battle Gone ... per Zags

Love Tyus but I think he is a better 1B than 1A. He needs to be the Robin not the Batman. Problem is this year we had a team full of Robin's and Alfred's and no Batman.

Love Tyus but I think he is a better 1B than 1A. He needs to be the Robin not the Batman. Problem is this year we had a team full of Robin's and Alfred's and no Batman.

Not sure if that's viable -- Battle predominates the ball. If he were capable of playing like a 1B, then I think our overall offensive movement wouldn't have bogged down so much with him out there.

And the hits just keep on coming.

are you really surprised. Leaving last year, this year, or next year changes nothing. He's a fringe NBA guy who will end up overseas. Might as well earn money a year quicker.

Well, I think Andy Rautins, Jonny Flynn and Eric Devendorf are up there, too.

Battle had:
-buzzer beater vs Clemson, 2017
-game winner with a couple seconds left vs Georgetown, 2019
-game clinching shot vs Michigan State in tourney, 2018
-game clinching three vs Maryland, 2018
-the three to seal the lead with a minute left in OT vs. Arizona State in the tourney last year
-and everyone remembers Gillon's buzzer beater vs Duke in 2017, but frosh Tyus made a ton of elbow jumpers in the final few minutes to hold the score steady.

I know I'm missing some more.

Battle had:
-the three to seal the lead with a minute left in OT vs. Arizona State in the tourney last year
-and everyone remembers Gillon's buzzer beater vs Duke in 2017, but frosh Tyus made a ton of elbow jumpers in the final few minutes to hold the score steady.

Yes, he was terrific. No argument.
Saying he was better than all those other guys, well, I'm not sure.
We've had some great teams just in the last 10 years or so who accomplished so much more than the teams Tyus was on. That also has something to do with how "clutch" someone is.

Saying he was better than all those other guys, well, I'm not sure.

Specifically talking volume of clutch moments over the course of their SU career. Nothing more than that.

Battle had:

Here's one game from Andy that I know we all remember:

Rautins had 20 points, and made six 3-pointers in the epic six overtime game against Connecticut in the Big East tournament. Rautins made a crucial 3-pointer in the final seconds of the third overtime, forcing a fourth. Rautins also made the go-ahead 3-pointer in the sixth overtime, giving Syracuse their first lead since the end of regulation to help lead to the historic win.

Plus a couple other noteworthy performances:

On November 20, 2009, Rautins would lead Syracuse to an 87–71 upset of then-No. 4 North Carolina with 11 points, seven rebounds, seven assists and seven steals.

On December 10, 2009, Rautins played 39 minutes and scored 16 points and handed out five assists as Syracuse knocked off then-No. 10 Florida 85–73.

Specifically talking volume of clutch moments over the course of their SU career. Nothing more than that.

Here's the case for Jonny Flynn:

In his first game ever, on November 12, 2007, Flynn scored 28 points which eclipsed former Orange standout Carmelo Anthony's record for most points in a freshman's debut.

Flynn scored 25 points and hit a 3-pointer with 6.4 seconds left in regulation as Syracuse defeated then-No. 23 ESPN/USA Today, No. 22 AP Kansas 89–81 in overtime in the championship game of the CBE Classic. Flynn was named MVP of the Tournament.

Flynn's leaping ability was on display on a January 11, 2009, game against Rutgers. With Syracuse clinging to a 52–48 lead, Flynn drove to the hoop and threw down a monstrous dunk over 6-foot-3 Rutgers guard Michael Rosario as he attempted to draw a charge.

In the quarterfinals of the 2009 Big East Tournament on March 12 and 13, Flynn led the Orange to a 127–117 win in six overtimes over the favored University of Connecticut Huskies. Flynn played 67 out of a possible 70 minutes on the floor that evening, leading the Orange by scoring 34 points, adding 11 assists and making all 16 of his free throw attempts.

The next day, Flynn then played all 45 minutes of Syracuse's 74–69 overtime victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers in the Big East semifinals. He scored 15 points and had 9 assists.

Here's one game from Andy that I know we all remember:

Rautins had 20 points, and made six 3-pointers in the epic six overtime game against Connecticut in the Big East tournament. Rautins made a crucial 3-pointer in the final seconds of the third overtime, forcing a fourth. Rautins also made the go-ahead 3-pointer in the sixth overtime, giving Syracuse their first lead since the end of regulation to help lead to the historic win.

Plus a couple other noteworthy performances:

On November 20, 2009, Rautins would lead Syracuse to an 87–71 upset of then-No. 4 North Carolina with 11 points, seven rebounds, seven assists and seven steals.

On December 10, 2009, Rautins played 39 minutes and scored 16 points and handed out five assists as Syracuse knocked off then-No. 10 Florida 85–73.
On March 22, 2019, IthacaMatt and Eric 13 had a back and forth about players everyone loves. Cuseinseattle was just releaved to not be discussing the state of the program with people who only seem to surface after losses and have less than 1000 posts.

In his first game ever, on November 12, 2007, Flynn scored 28 points which eclipsed former Orange standout Carmelo Anthony's record for most points in a freshman's debut.

Flynn scored 25 points and hit a 3-pointer with 6.4 seconds left in regulation as Syracuse defeated then-No. 23 ESPN/USA Today, No. 22 AP Kansas 89–81 in overtime in the championship game of the CBE Classic. Flynn was named MVP of the Tournament.

Flynn's leaping ability was on display on a January 11, 2009, game against Rutgers. With Syracuse clinging to a 52–48 lead, Flynn drove to the hoop and threw down a monstrous dunk over 6-foot-3 Rutgers guard Michael Rosario as he attempted to draw a charge.

In the quarterfinals of the 2009 Big East Tournament on March 12 and 13, Flynn led the Orange to a 127–117 win in six overtimes over the favored University of Connecticut Huskies. Flynn played 67 out of a possible 70 minutes on the floor that evening, leading the Orange by scoring 34 points, adding 11 assists and making all 16 of his free throw attempts.

The next day, Flynn then played all 45 minutes of Syracuse's 74–69 overtime victory over the West Virginia Mountaineers in the Big East semifinals. He scored 15 points and had 9 assists.

Maybe we are operating off different definitions of clutch. I think of it as critical baskets in the final minutes/moments of games. Flynn’s dunk over Rosario was awesome (I saw it in person), but that’s a not a clutch play.

are you really surprised. Leaving last year, this year, or next year changes nothing. He's a fringe NBA guy who will end up overseas. Might as well earn money a year quicker.

Nope. Battle is already a top college player and has NBA size. He can guard 3 positions in the NBA. He’s on their radar. If he improves his game and outside shooting NBA teams will notice he’s not a prospect that will need to develop. A monster senior season with Syracuse on top of the ACC will get him drafted.

NBA has already written you off if you stay four years.

Flynn and Rautins were ridiculous in the 6 ot game. Battle was really clutch. So was Gmac. Some of our other better players didn’t get a chance to be clutch because we blew out teams 2009-2013.

Gbinije, Mali, Lydon and Cooney all had their moments as well in 2016.

No for the 10th time I was 99 pct sure he was gone. I said it was a hit not the same thing.

As long as we can get a good center late, I'm OK with him moving on.
I think we just saw his ceiling this year.
He needs to understand his strengths and stop trying be all around player ( for nba) shootings 3s and hurting team

He’s wreckless

great individual talent . but does tyus battle make the players around him better ?

Battle had:

Wow, that’s damn good. Thanks for that. I forgot about a couple of those. You could also give him credit for turning the tide against Virginia in the Dome his freshman year. He took Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome to ankle-break school using his dribble getting to the basket and pulling up for jumpers, and they couldn’t stop him at all.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I wish he did it before Senior night for him.

Taking the charge from Blake Griffin cements it.

Not necessarily. It all depends on chemistry and complimentary skill sets.

I have zero doubt that people said the same thing about Eric Devendorf leaving, or Johnny Flynn.
Do you think we wouldn't have been as good if Flynn came back? I always wondered what a team with Flynn and Johnson together would have been like.

Maybe we are operating off different definitions of clutch. I think of it as critical baskets in the final minutes/moments of games. Flynn’s dunk over Rosario was awesome (I saw it in person), but that’s a not a clutch play.

6.4 seconds left to beat Kansas in OT to win a tournament at the Garden?
Come on, man. You're not being fair!

6.4 seconds left to beat Kansas in OT to win a tournament at the Garden?

Now that’s a clutch moment. You’re getting better at this. ;) (and that game was in Kansas City)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom