Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message | Syracusefan.com

Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message

Thought this deserved its own thread as it goes beyond SU (Admins feel free to delete if you disagree)

The message: Pay us or all top talent will go this route.

Ive seen professional athletes piss away 100 times what the g league offers.

A one and done can feasibly go back to school and finish his degree with the money he makes in the first round.

A g leaguer?

This makes no sense. NONE

Not putting any faith in the NCAA, but the rules need to change. If you commit it has to be for a period of time. Ie. the baseball model. It’s just too disruptive for programs. If you’re going to go pro, go pro. Cut this bs out.

Not putting any faith in the NCAA, but the rules need to change. If you commit it has to be for a period of time. Ie. the baseball model. It’s just too disruptive for programs. If you’re going to go pro, go pro. Cut this bs out.

How would you like the NCAA to implement this?

Ive seen professional athletes piss away 100 times what the g league offers.

A one and done can feasibly go back to school and finish his degree with the money he makes in the first round.

A g leaguer?

This makes no sense. NONE
You don't really think a G-leaguer like Bazely in only going to make $26K? The ancillary payments, "benefits," gifts etc. will put him in such a good position that he can go back to college any pay for it himself.

Not against actions towards positive change but this is dangerous and misinformed.

This leads me to believe Bazely’s spitting out bs an agent fed him.

You don't really think a G-leaguer like Bazely in only going to make $26K? The ancillary payments, "benefits," gifts etc. will put him in such a good position that he can go back to college any pay for it himself.
Its not only about bazely now. It’s about the “movement” he may be spearheading. Bazely may get the gifts etc.

But even at that, how many athletes without an education, or plan to fall back on, have we seen in our lifetimes shi- it all away? No matter the millions.

Thought this deserved its own thread as it goes beyond SU (Admins feel free to delete if you disagree)

The message: Pay us or all top talent will go this route.
Good. Let him go.

Stinks for SU. But in principle I am very much in favor of this. Let player who want to play for pay go directly to work. Let the G league develop as s legitimate minor league for the nba. In the long run, everyone will be better off. It will just take a while. Once again, SU leading the way.

I think you will see more players do this. In the G League, you play more games and you can focus on developing your game without having to go to classes. Yes, the pay is miniminal, but for a top player like Bazely, he will be making money in a number of other ways.

Not all top HS kids will choose this route. Some will want to go to college and get more exposure as well as showcase their abilities against less talent than they would face in the G League.

“I see myself as Ben Simmons and idolize Magic Johnson”

Maybe this is a fed ego.

I'm not against the move or the idea of trying to spark a movement, but why does it have to be our best recruit in a decade? Couldn't Duke sacrifice one of their 25 top 10 players?

This, 1000x this.

Kid with some passion and no life experience getting all pumped up by a manipulative grown man.

I have no problem with this... but of all the top 10 recruits how is it that its the Syracuse recruit breaking ground while the top recruits going to Duke and Kentucky will stay and the ones that go to UNC will somehow stay 4 years?
This is how, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Somehow under the radar, they get away with it would be my guess

Syracuse suffers yet another heartbreaking “first” in hoops.

Awesome.

There actually was a first HS top recruit to the D League in 2009. I think Bazely is the second, but the most visible.

Its not only about bazely now. It’s about the “movement” he may be spearheading. Bazely may get the gifts etc.

But even at that, how many athletes without an education, or plan to fall back on, have we seen in our lifetimes shi- it all away? No matter the millions.
A year of college (now rather than later) is the antidote to that?

There's money somewhere, for whatever reason. Maybe some Buckeye got torqued that he decommitted.

But sports wise, this is a big jump up. I looked at some G League rosters, 225 plus lb 25 year old dudes hungry on the back 9 trying to make it. Not going to be easy.

Well, I have not followed an NBA game in many years. Outside of watching the annual NBA Draft and rooting for college players that I know to get selected, I do not think that I will watch another NBA game. I find the pro games lacking any structure or discipline. In point, pro games are more like yesterday's MacDonald's All Star than college games. I found that game to be poor and not of any interest.

I really believe if they allow High School Seniors sign early and the College 1 and Dones to go to the G-League and to the NBA then it's time for colleges to get tough and only sign recruits that are willing to go to college for 4 years and to get a degree. By allowing the younger players to go pro at these early ages, it will flood these Leagues and there will not be any jobs per se in these years.

Pro Pay standards most likely will come down because of the volume of players going pro. Potential (unproven) versus experienced players will be the criteria.

Feel that Bazley will be missing out an important experience and is definitely naive if he feels that the G league is his best opportunity to go pro. While I do not know, he will probably be playing in front of 1000-5000 people vice playing in front of 20,000 -30,000 people in the Carrier Dome.

I will miss Matt Moyer but will not miss Darius "which way does the wind blow?" Bazley.

I was worried about how this dude would handle ACC size.. He will get straight bodied in the G-League.

I'm sure he's got money coming in from somewhere other that the weak G-League pay scale but this guy isn't Zion, hes a guy nobody knew about until now unless you're a CBB junkie.

Very sketch move. Who is advising this kid.. Denzel Washington's character from "He Got Game"?

Or maybe he already accepted a payment from another source. The NCAA's radar is up for the scouts and sneaker companies. He can take their money and still play basketball. The $26k he gets from the G League is just his pocket money.