Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message

Or maybe he already accepted a payment from another source. The NCAA's radar is up for the scouts and sneaker companies. He can take their money and still play basketball. The $26k he gets from the G League is just his pocket money.

I'm thinking this is the most reasonable explanation I've heard yet !

Just doesn’t seem like the right kid to make this move. He does NOT have a pro basketball body. Nowhere close.

Going to be tough for him to be successful against grown men. He had a pretty nice likely path to being a 1st round NBA pick next year. Not sure he does anymore.

Thought this deserved its own thread as it goes beyond SU (Admins feel free to delete if you disagree)

The message: Pay us or all top talent will go this route.
I'm waiting to see the Duke, Kansas, UK, UNC top recruits do this. I think the coaching/development they receive and the exposure they get is worth a lot more than the $26k they will make in obscurity in the G league.

Well.. so when does Oshae and Marek leave as well and put us right back where we were...

Thought this deserved its own thread as it goes beyond SU (Admins feel free to delete if you disagree)

Other players have gone overseas to kickstart their paychecks. It’s the G League, not Europe or China. Same principal just different leagues.

Last edited:
Breaking new ground is fine- it’s the doing it at our expense that suc ks!
The kid just doesn’t wanna have to trudge to class and go through the hypocritical motions, and honestly you can’t fault him for that.
Delayed gratification is not a common trait w/ today’s “cell phone generation”. They’re used to getting what they want w/ a touch of their finger. Becoming a pro player and getting even a little money to start with, is a smart move. Endorsement possibilities, and perk-filled agent agreements should be more than enough to tide him over until the next draft. If this starts a new trend, then so be it...it’s about time, IMO.
Its the smart move for him, albeit at our expense.:mad:

You don't really think a G-leaguer like Bazely in only going to make $26K? The ancillary payments, "benefits," gifts etc. will put him in such a good position that he can go back to college any pay for it himself.

Less than 10% of ex-NBA players go back to college.

A year of college (now rather than later) is the antidote to that?
You go to the g league, you’re promised a salary or maybe eventually a shoe deal.

You get drafted after one year of college, you get a million dollars guarenteed from the 1st round

Well, I have not followed an NBA game in many years. Outside of watching the annual NBA Draft and rooting for college players that I know to get selected, I do not think that I will watch another NBA game. I find the pro games lacking any structure or discipline. In point, pro games are more like yesterday's MacDonald's All Star than college games. I found that game to be poor and not of any interest.

I really believe if they allow High School Seniors sign early and the College 1 and Dones to go to the G-League and to the NBA then it's time for colleges to get tough and only sign recruits that are willing to go to college for 4 years and to get a degree. By allowing the younger players to go pro at these early ages, it will flood these Leagues and there will not be any jobs per se in these years.

Pro Pay standards most likely will come down because of the volume of players going pro. Potential (unproven) versus experienced players will be the criteria.

Feel that Bazley will be missing out an important experience and is definitely naive if he feels that the G league is his best opportunity to go pro. While I do not know, he will probably be playing in front of 1000-5000 people vice playing in front of 20,000 -30,000 people in the Carrier Dome.

I will miss Matt Moyer but will not miss Darius "which way does the wind blow?" Bazley.

In order for colleges to get tough as you say the colleges would need to be free of the NCAA. That would give them the greatest freedom to design programs that offer the most competitive athletic programs that work for a college environment. NCAA has no incentive to make that happen, only the colleges themselves

No 5 star will be playing college ball 3 years from now...G League will take them all. 90% of the top kids could give a flying Yuck about college. NBA rules forced them until G became a viable option. Intern year for draft while getting paid getting loans and not worrying about classes and NCAA "rules". Eventually this will hit Duke Kentucky and Kansas the hardest. It will make the college game a little cleaner...

The fact is a large segment of the lower class, which is where the majority of the top basketball talent comes from, doesnt care about education. And thats why theyll stay in the lower class.

I wish I could like this 1,000 times.

He's leaving for $26,000???

I don't get it.

Any chance he learned that he wouldn't qualify academically?

He's leaving for $26,000???

I don't get it.

Any chance he learned that he wouldn't qualify academically?

Don’t get it as well. That’s what I asked earlier re: academics. At times he was overmatched in the McD game. Now he’s going to the G-League against former college stars and grown men. He’s going to get pummeled, IMO.

I have not followed an NBA game in many years. Outside of watching the annual NBA Draft and rooting for college players that I know to get selected, I do not think that I will watch another NBA game. I find the pro games lacking any structure or discipline. In point, pro games are more like yesterday's MacDonald's All Star than college games. I found that game to be poor and not of any interest.

Not sure if you meant to be funny, but it is. Lacking structure and discipline? Have you watched any Golden State, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Houston, Cleveland games, for starters?

And college ball is a better product?

Well, I have not followed an NBA game in many years. Outside of watching the annual NBA Draft and rooting for college players that I know to get selected, I do not think that I will watch another NBA game. I find the pro games lacking any structure or discipline. In point, pro games are more like yesterday's MacDonald's All Star than college games. I found that game to be poor and not of any interest.

I really believe if they allow High School Seniors sign early and the College 1 and Dones to go to the G-League and to the NBA then it's time for colleges to get tough and only sign recruits that are willing to go to college for 4 years and to get a degree. By allowing the younger players to go pro at these early ages, it will flood these Leagues and there will not be any jobs per se in these years.

Pro Pay standards most likely will come down because of the volume of players going pro. Potential (unproven) versus experienced players will be the criteria.

Feel that Bazley will be missing out an important experience and is definitely naive if he feels that the G league is his best opportunity to go pro. While I do not know, he will probably be playing in front of 1000-5000 people vice playing in front of 20,000 -30,000 people in the Carrier Dome.

I will miss Matt Moyer but will not miss Darius "which way does the wind blow?" Bazley.
There is very little in this post I agree with.

People, suck it up - the NBA is not the problem here. It's not.

I'm sure his agent has already secured him a shoe deal worth at least 100K.
you think shoe companies just hand out 6 figure deals to kids who have proven nothing? why would they do that? these companies didn't get to where they are by being stupid with money. As good as this kid is, there's a more than even chance he isnt even an average NBA player. The talent level is a different stratosphere. All Americans in college cant crack a second division lineup .

Now I'm sure SOMEONE was in his ear claiming big deals were there for the taking, but the reality of it is another story.