Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message

Nobody has any power to enforce a commitment. It's not uncommon for this same thing to happen in baseball all of the time. If you follow college baseball, top baseball teams get commits that then enter the draft and ultimately skip college. You're right, it does play havok with coaches managing rosters from year to year, but there's nothing they can do to change it. The players hold the cards until they get on campus, when the 3 year rule kicks in. Coaches have to decide whether it's worth the risk to pursue the guys that could go either way.

Baseball is a totally different animal. The baseball draft is 40 rounds and 1,200 players. Baseball players take way longer to develop than basketball players. It's ridiculously difficult to make it to the show. Less than 1 percent of high school players even get drafted. On average guys stay in the minors for 5-6 years before getting a call up. Guys go to the minors out of high school because it takes so long to mature as a baseball player.

This is objectively incorrect. The teamwork in the NBA right now is at an incredible level, on both ends of the floor.
Granted You may correct for right now but, not for a good part of the decades before right now. Some teams have played better than others but overall, the team concept has been lacking and yields to the "Me" concept.

I think you will see more players do this. In the G League, you play more games and you can focus on developing your game without having to go to classes. Yes, the pay is miniminal, but for a top player like Bazely, he will be making money in a number of other ways.
Like what? Is he going to get an off-season job? What other ways is he going to make meaningful money? How much endorsement money are the top G league players making?

Granted You may correct for right now but, not for a good part of the decades before right now. Some teams have played better than others but overall, the team concept has been lacking and yields to the "Me" concept.
I don't understand. So you concede that the NBA is doing better now, but your holding the way they used to play against them?

Like what? Is he going to get an off-season job? What other ways is he going to make meaningful money? How much endorsement money are the top G league players making?
He just landed an endorsement deal with Phoenix University.

The fact is a large segment of the lower class, which is where the majority of the top basketball talent comes from, doesnt care about education. And thats why theyll stay in the lower class.

Are you saying that Bazley coming to SU for one year and putting on a facade of being a student would constitute "caring about education?"

Are you saying that Bazley coming to SU for one year and putting on a facade of being a student would constitute "caring about education?"

No i said the exact opposite—he doesnt care about education. Hence his decision.

Your post seems rather unresponsive to mine.

I don't understand. So you concede that the NBA is doing better now, but your holding the way they used to play against them?
No, I was giving you your point that they are better now but their play still does not appeal to me.

No i said the exact opposite—he doesnt care about education. Hence his decision.

Your post seems rather unresponsive to mine.

I understood what you said. So are you implying that if he did in fact go to SU for one year, then that would constitute caring about education on his part?

I understood what you said. So are you implying that if he did in fact go to SU for one year, then that would constitute caring about education on his part?

Classic denying the antecedent. But regardless, your point lacks any merit. Not even sure what were discussing.

Classic denying the antecedent. But regardless, your point lacks any merit. Not even sure what were discussing.

You said that Bazley doesn’t value education. How can you possibly make that claim without knowing he or his family on a personal level?

You said that Bazley doesn’t value education. How can you possibly make that claim without knowing he or his family on a personal level?

Your last two posts inferred that even if bazley went to cuse, it doesnt mean he cares about education. Now, youve subtly changed your theme to me not having any right to conclude that bazley doesnt care about college. Either way, Im again not sure of your point. That being said, to answer your new question, i never spoke to bazley. I think he doesnt care about education, or i should say, he doesnt care considerably about it, because hes passing up free college to play in the g league. Do we not judge actions these days?

Btw- not even challenging the kid’s decision. Its his life. Just saying education isnt a priority or even a factor to him. Not really that profound or unreasonable of a conclusion.

Your last two posts inferred that even if bazley went to cuse, it doesnt mean he cares about education. Now, youve subtly changed your theme to me not having any right to conclude that bazley doesnt care about college. Either way, Im again not sure of your point. That being said, to answer your new question, i never spoke to bazley. I think he doesnt care about education, or i should say, he doesnt care considerably about it, because hes passing up free college to play in the g league. Do we not judge actions these days?

Btw- not even challenging the kid’s decision. Its his life. Just saying education isnt a priority or even a factor to him. Not really that profound or unreasonable of a conclusion.

My underlying point: just because a 17 year old kid has decided he doesn’t want to entertain you for free next year doesn’t mean he doesn’t value education. It also doesn’t mean he’s a “low class” person will “stay low class” as a result of his decision.

My underlying point: just because a 17 year old kid has decided he doesn’t want to entertain you for free next year doesn’t mean he doesn’t value education. It also doesn’t mean he’s a “low class” person will “stay low class” as a result of his decision.

So now its about entertaining me and not wanting to do it for free? Thats the reason now? Weak pivot.

I never said baz would stay low class. The guy is a round 1 pick no matter whether he comes to cuse or goes g league, so thatd be a clearly erroneous statement. I just said some segments of the population dont value education as much as others? Do you disagree with this?

Lastly, stop insinuating low class means im calling him a scum bag or something. Im not.

Last edited:
So now its about entertaining me and not wanting to do it for free? Thats the reason now? Weak pivot.

I never said baz would stay low class. The guy is a round 1 pick no matter whether he comes to cuse or goes g league. Hes a year away from being a multi millionaire no matter what. I just said some segments of the population dont value education as much as others? Do you disagree with this?

Lastly, stop insinuating low class means im calling him a scum bag or something. Im not.
So, to extrapolate- if a kid goes the minor league or professional tennis/skateboarding/dirt bike/musician routes and forgoes college to follow the money and/or pursue his dreams, does that constitute not “caring” or valuing education? I just don’t get the point you’re trying to make here. Bazley is a smart kid w/ good grades, so he’s not exactly struggling. His decision has absolutely nothing to do w/ how much or how little he cares about education. It’s more about whether he “needs” college to get what he wants, or can he skip college & still achieve his goals. Additionally, tying his individual circumstances & choice to a value judgement on how certain “segments of the population” view education, displays an overreach of epic proportions. JMHO

So, to extrapolate- if a kid goes the minor league or professional tennis/skateboarding/dirt bike/musician routes and forgoes college to follow the money and/or pursue his dreams, does that constitute not “caring” or valuing education? I just don’t get the point you’re trying to make here. Bazley is a smart kid w/ good grades, so he’s not exactly struggling. His decision has absolutely nothing to do w/ how much or how little he cares about education. It’s more about whether he “needs” college to get what he wants, or can he skip college & still achieve his goals. Additionally, tying his individual circumstances & choice to a value judgement on how certain “segments of the population” view education, displays an overreach of epic proportions. JMHO

Is there a skateboarding option to get free room and board, food, school, and cost of attendance plus pell grants that provides same opportunity if not better to get to top level— then yes.

So assuming a person thinks and acts in conformance with their immediate surroundings is an “epic” overreach. I think that statement is an epic hyperbole.

Again, baz will be fine either way. Just dont think he gives two shits about education.

I should add, not sure why people get so triggered about the not caring about education. Id care less too if i could play ball as well as he does, although id value education enough to make a different decision, but my background is different.

Last edited:
Baseball is a totally different animal. The baseball draft is 40 rounds and 1,200 players. Baseball players take way longer to develop than basketball players. It's ridiculously difficult to make it to the show. Less than 1 percent of high school players even get drafted. On average guys stay in the minors for 5-6 years before getting a call up. Guys go to the minors out of high school because it takes so long to mature as a baseball player.
That wasn't even the discussion.

Is there a skateboarding option to get free room and board, food, school, and cost of attendance plus pell grants that provides same opportunity if not better to get to top level— then yes.

So assuming a person thinks and acts in conformance with their immediate surroundings is an “epic” overreach. I think that statement is an epic hyperbole.

Again, baz will be fine either way. Just dont think he gives two shits about education.
Skateboarders are recruited in their midteens by sponsors who pay them money to conduct exhibitions and enter contests as opposed to going to a formal college. Teens in other sports forgo college to pursue their athletic goals as well.
IOW, they don’t need school to get to where they want to go. Pell Grants and free dorms are irrelevant in this example, so i don’t see why you keep stressing that.
And yes, it’s a massive overreach to somehow suggest that because Bazley is black and/or poor, and let’s keep it real...that is your implication, that somehow he is more likely to dismiss his educational “opportunities” and choose to go another route. That’s patently presumptive, and totally negates his individual choices, based solely on his individual circumstances. The education angle you’re pushing, seems misplaced. You have no idea how he or the people in his societal circle view education, so why forward a value judgement based on ignorance? JMHO

Skateboarders are recruited in their midteens by sponsors who pay them money to conduct exhibitions and enter contests as opposed to going to a formal college. Teens in other sports forgo college to pursue their athletic goals as well.
IOW, they don’t need school to get to where they want to go. Pell Grants and free dorms are irrelevant in this example, so i don’t see why you keep stressing that.
And yes, it’s a massive overreach to somehow suggest that because Bazley is black and/or poor, and let’s keep it real...that is your implication, that somehow he is more likely to dismiss his educational “opportunities” and choose to go another route. That’s patently presumptive, and totally negates his individual choices, based solely on his individual circumstances. The education angle you’re pushing, seems misplaced. You have no idea how he or the people in his societal circle view education, so why forward a value judgement based on ignorance? JMHO

You gloss over my response, which says that if some white skateboarder was pulling same move (even if your anology was somehow on point but its so far off base its almost not worth responsing to) then i would have same opinion. But i know you were in a rush to call me a racist so cool.

To play along with your very poor analogy though, do skateboarders have an option to get the functional equivalent if not better training, room/board/food, and money plus education while attending college for a year, or no? I dont remember the skateboarding scholarship but maybe im off there. Again, if they did that in this nonexistent comparison, then if say that person doesnt value education.

You seem to know bazleys grades, so curious what courses did he take and what was his gpa?

Last edited:
You gloss over my response, which says that if some white skateboarder was pulling same move (even if your anology was somehow on point but its so far off base its almost not worth responsing to) then i would have same opinion. But i know you were in a rush to call me a racist so cool.

To play along with your very poor analogy though, do skateboarders have an option to get the functional equivalent if not better training, room/board/food, and money plus education while attending college for a year, or no? I dont remember the skateboarding scholarship but maybe im off there. Again, if they did that in this nonexistent comparison, then if say that person doesnt value education.

You seem to know bazleys grades, so curious what courses did he take and what was his gpa?
You seem overly defensive about this & im not sure why. I’m seriously trying to decipher what you’re expousing here, and honestly, if i wanted to go the easy & simplistic route, I’d just call you a racist and be done with it. Btw- i also cited his being poor as maybe being one of your criteria, which you convienently ignored in your rush to flout the “ I’m not racist, but” card.
To put it simply- you mentioned in general terms some of the reasons why Bazley might not value education. You used the fact that he decided to forgo his scholarship as an example of same. I think that’s being presumptuous and judgmental, ie: You have no earthly idea, and neither do i, why he chose to skip SU, other than that he decided it wasn’t necessary for him to reach his avowed goals...at this time! As for the straw man about his grades- by all accounts the kid is intelligent and had good grades. If the opposite was true, as your assumption seems to imply, we would have surely heard about it by now. Anyway, I’m done w/ this. Peace out.

Last edited:

If one were to project, without first hand knowledge, the

Without knowing any one person's actual values, I don't think it is s stretch to say that someone who goes to college, if even for a short time, is more likely to value education than one who does not.

"You have no earthly idea, and neither do i, why he chose to skip SU"

Bit of a stretch. there are a finite number of likely reasons. I'm sure he's not skipping and going to the G league because he believes they have a better political science department.

"You have no earthly idea, and neither do i, why he chose to skip SU"

Bit of a stretch. there are a finite number of likely reasons. I'm sure he's not skipping and going to the G league because he believes they have a better political science department.
Fair enough. But to jump to the conclusion that his decision was based on how much he “values” education or not, is being presumptuous, IMO.
Suppose he places a high value on his education but simply decided that at this time, going the G-League route was the better option?
If he makes a $100 million over the next few years, takes classes online and earns his degree, would that suffice as to whether he values education? Or is the only determining criteria that he goes to SU for a year, play acts the role of student, and then goes to the Association?
Point being we don’t know- so why assume that his decision was based on educational values, or lack thereof, at all?

*Note: Oh, and now I’m really finished. This time i mean it! ;)

Fair enough. But to jump to the conclusion that his decision was based on how much he “values” education or not, is being presumptuous, IMO.
Suppose he places a high value on his education but simply decided that at this time, going the G-League route was the better option?
If he makes a $100 million over the next few years, takes classes online and earns his degree, would that suffice as to whether he values education? Or is the only determining criteria that he goes to SU for a year, play acts the role of student, and then goes to the Association?
Point being we don’t know- so why assume that his decision was based on educational values, or lack thereof, at all?

*Note: Oh, and now I’m really finished. This time i mean it! ;)

LeBron always says his biggest regret is not going to college. Kobe, too.

OK, I made that up.

One piece of advice for all college basketball players and recruits: never read a team's fan board. Never, ever.