Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bazely - You may not like it, but he was sending a message

At the end of the day, there's a right way and wrong way to go about things.

The timing of this makes it the wrong way.

Add to that, that's he's out there touting his move as an important trail blazing moment for high school players.

Let me tell you about me.

If you read through general Twitter comments from most non-SU NBA fans, it's "He screwed Syracuse?? Meh, they have a HOF coach, they'll be fine. Who cares?"

Quite honestly, maybe he'll be a success but I hope he falls flat on his face and becomes a cautionary tale on what not to do.

Karma's a bitch.

Last edited:
Not putting any faith in the NCAA, but the rules need to change. If you commit it has to be for a period of time. Ie. the baseball model. It’s just too disruptive for programs. If you’re going to go pro, go pro. Cut this bs out.
Nobody has any power to enforce a commitment. It's not uncommon for this same thing to happen in baseball all of the time. If you follow college baseball, top baseball teams get commits that then enter the draft and ultimately skip college. You're right, it does play havok with coaches managing rosters from year to year, but there's nothing they can do to change it. The players hold the cards until they get on campus, when the 3 year rule kicks in. Coaches have to decide whether it's worth the risk to pursue the guys that could go either way.

Thought this deserved its own thread as it goes beyond SU (Admins feel free to delete if you disagree)

The message: Pay us or all top talent will go this route.

The idea that Bazely is doing this for anything other than self indulgent reasons is laughable to me.

Some of his quotes indicate delusions of grandeur. “I am as mature as they come, if not more mature, than guys in the G League and some guys in the NBA.”

Tell that to some 25 yr old power forward in Reno who is playing for his life.

Nobody has any power to enforce a commitment. It's not uncommon for this same thing to happen in baseball all of the time. If you follow college baseball, top baseball teams get commits that then enter the draft and ultimately skip college. You're right, it does play havok with coaches managing rosters from year to year, but there's nothing they can do to change it. The players hold the cards until they get on campus, when the 3 year rule kicks in. Coaches have to decide whether it's worth the risk to pursue the guys that could go either way.
At least with that model the options are spelled out. Causing the player to make a more informed choice. The way college basketball is now, there seems to be a lot of confusing options which we are seeing. Until it is more clear, more guys will tempted in many different directions, causing further chaos.

The idea that Bazely is doing this for anything other than self indulgent reasons is laughable to me.

Some of his quotes indicate delusions of grandeur. “I am as mature as they come, if not more mature, than guys in the G League and some guys in the NBA.”

Agree 100%. This is not about blazing a trail. This is about him getting paid now.

There is very little in this post I agree with.

People, suck it up - the NBA is not the problem here. It's not.
Whereas that may generally be true, they are certainly not helping either.

Whereas that may generally be true, they are certainly not helping either.
I think an argument can be made that generally they do - the NBA is the carrot.

In any event, the NCAA doesn't make the rules here, but the NCAA can control what it controls, and it leaves itself vulnerable all the time.

Not sure if you meant to be funny, but it is. Lacking structure and discipline? Have you watched any Golden State, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Houston, Cleveland games, for starters?

And college ball is a better product?
Not sure if you meant to be funny, but it is. Lacking structure and discipline? Have you watched any Golden State, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Houston, Cleveland games, for starters?

And college ball is a better product?

We are all entitled to our opinions. You disagree with mine and I disagree with yours. You enjoy the NBA run up and down, whoever has the ball shoots individual type of a game where I enjoy the more of a team oriented game where lesser talented teams can be competitive and actually beat the more highly stacked teams.

Yup. Or a 25yr old responsible dude feeding his family. Bazely just became a target. He’s going to get destroyed anyways there but when you say stuff like that? Some hard screens and hard fouls coming.

There is very little in this post I agree with.

People, suck it up - the NBA is not the problem here. It's not.

So you don't believe that NBA is a problem, it is a way of living where representatives or team will pay skilled, semi to no experienced selected players to play for them. These players are then discarded if they fail to produce or to realize their potential. You are right, it is a way of life.

Regarding agreeing with my post or not, that is your right not to. Our opinions differ and my views are my views and yours are yours.

At least with that model the options are spelled out. Causing the player to make a more informed choice. The way college basketball is now, there seems to be a lot of confusing options which we are seeing. Until it is more clear, more guys will tempted in many different directions, causing further chaos.
That rule wouldn't have had any impact on this situation. Baseball players sign with schools and then wait to see where they're drafted before they decide what they're doing. The baseball rule only benefits schools once the player starts school. That's when they have to wait the three years. It would have no impact on someone in Bazley's position since he's going to the g-league and not the draft.

No. This is about paydays.

What pay days?

Has an agent agreed to advance him $200,000.00?

Does he have an apparel or shoe deal?

I guess I was surprised by the $26,000.00 G-League salary - he makes more money going to college - in terms of room, board, schooling.

So you don't believe that NBA is a problem, it is a way of living where representatives or team will pay skilled, semi to no experienced selected players to play for them. These players are then discarded if they fail to produce or to realize their potential. You are right, it is a way of life.

Regarding agreeing with my post or not, that is your right not to. Our opinions differ and my views are my views and yours are yours.
College programs discard under performing players too. Even SU

We are all entitled to our opinions. You disagree with mine and I disagree with yours. You enjoy the NBA run up and down, whoever has the ball shoots individual type of a game where I enjoy the more of a team oriented game where lesser talented teams can be competitive and actually beat the more highly stacked teams.

Your opinion's fine, it's just not based in reality. You say you don't watch the NBA, end of story. It's like saying you don't like a movie without seeing it.

I went from a 'Cuse game recently where all I saw was milking the shot clock and not a lotta assists to an NBA game where guys kept passing the ball, giving up good shots, sharing, breaking down, playing the game at the highest level. Doc Naismith woulda be beaming.

BTW, despite my youthful appearance in my profile pic, I I'm an old man, numbers-wise, hit the big 7-0 if I make it to the Winter Solstice, I've watched hoops since the final days of the Rochester Royals and Syracuse Nats and wish the college game were what you say it is.

I can't call the employer the problem in this case.

What pay days?

Has an agent agreed to advance him $200,000.00?

Does he have an apparel or shoe deal?

I guess I was surprised by the $26,000.00 G-League salary - he makes more money going to college - in terms of room, board, schooling.
G-leaguers also get room and board, insurance, etc.

That rule wouldn't have had any impact on this situation. Baseball players sign with schools and then wait to see where they're drafted before they decide what they're doing. The baseball rule only benefits schools once the player starts school. That's when they have to wait the three years. It would have no impact on someone in Bazley's position since he's going to the g-league and not the draft.
I’ll start by saying I fully sympathize with SU fans and how justifiably angry you are about his rotten behavior. That said, this situation is basically the same as a HS baseball player going to the minors instead of college. No one says anything when a white kid from Nebraska goes to minor league baseball. There’s no “he’s throwing away an education,” or similar. Why is anyone saying these things about Bazeley?

I’ll start by saying I fully sympathize with SU fans and how justifiably angry you are about his rotten behavior. That said, this situation is basically the same as a HS baseball player going to the minors instead of college. No one says anything when a white kid from Nebraska goes to minor league baseball. There’s no “he’s throwing away an education,” or similar. Why is anyone saying these things about Bazeley?
You'll notice I haven't said that. He has the right to do what he wants.

I think there are three reasons you don't hear about it in baseball and it has nothing to do with whether it is a white kid from Nebraska.

1. It's assumed the elite prospects are skipping college.
2. It's gone on long enough that it's common place and accepted. 2a. Baseball's minor league system is much more extensive, developed, and respected.
3. Nobody really cares about college baseball.

How many regular season college baseball games are televised nationally and what is the attendance at college baseball games?

Believe me though, you hear it locally when you live in a town with a school that has some baseball tradition and it's happened to them. Tennessee lost a few commits to the baseball draft recently and it was a hot topic on local radio and in the newspaper.

Interestingly my wife has a cousin that had to make this choice. He had a baseball scholarship lined up (I don't know to where) and he also had interest from pro baseball with regards to the draft. His mom encouraged him to go pro. My wife believes he wanted to go to college but I think they were lower income and mom saw the quick money. He was drafted, I'm not sure how high. Fast fwd, he never made it big and never made it to college. Thankfully, he didn't end up some destitute sob story or anything. I believe he has a good job, but only he knows if he feels like he missed out on an opportunity.

G-leaguers also get room and board, insurance, etc.
So room/board is a wash. SU tuition/cash stipend > g-league salary. I believe college athletes get medical insurance through the school if it's not available from their parents.

Your opinion's fine, it's just not based in reality. You say you don't watch the NBA, end of story. It's like saying you don't like a movie without seeing it.

I went from a 'Cuse game recently where all I saw was milking the shot clock and not a lotta assists to an NBA game where guys kept passing the ball, giving up good shots, sharing, breaking down, playing the game at the highest level. Doc Naismith woulda be beaming.

BTW, despite my youthful appearance in my profile pic, I I'm an old man, numbers-wise, hit the big 7-0 if I make it to the Winter Solstice, I've watched hoops since the final days of the Rochester Royals and Syracuse Nats and wish the college game were what you say it is.
I have seen numerous NBA games in the past (Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Washington and Orland) and a lot more on tv but stopped attending them years ago because of the way the teams play. There is no real spirit or sense of teamwork. You can like the NBA but by saying you recently saw one game and based your opinion on that one game, I don't know where you are coming from.

He may see himself as Ben Simmons, but if he ever gets close to that point it will be a miracle.

What Bazley did was unprecedented. Never been done before. Your comparison is ridiculous attempt to make this somehow about race? Holy hell.

Breaking new ground is fine- it’s the doing it at our expense that suc ks!
The kid just doesn’t wanna have to trudge to class and go through the hypocritical motions, and honestly you can’t fault him for that.
Delayed gratification is not a common trait w/ today’s “cell phone generation”. They’re used to getting what they want w/ a touch of their finger. Becoming a pro player and getting even a little money to start with, is a smart move. Endorsement possibilities, and perk-filled agent agreements should be more than enough to tide him over until the next draft. If this starts a new trend, then so be it...it’s about time, IMO.
Its the smart move for him, albeit at our expense.:mad:

If he's going to the G-league because he sees himself as some kind of trend setter he's maybe got an over inflated sense of his abilities and influence. The three guys who skipped college to go to Europe, China and Australia before the NBA haven't exactly set a trend. How Bazley thinks he's gonna be the leader who other top players follow is beyond me.

Last edited: