BC may have blocked UConn to the ACC | Syracusefan.com

BC may have blocked UConn to the ACC

Why would BC, SU or Pitt want them in? The longer they wait the better.

Combine a much lamer BE with P and his rancid offense, boneheadedness, and sideline persona and they are headed down.

ACC should hold out for ND and the more remote chance of TX until its a HELL NO.

Doesn't surprise me. BC already plays 2nd fiddle to UConn in the New England area for college hoops. They sure as hell don't want to play 2nd fiddle to them in their own conference...

Ri-val-ry! Ri-val-ry! Ri-val-ry!

I agree on protecting school recruiting turf, but it makes for a compelling setup if they do join ;)

That is, unless UConn pees in SU's pool.

No UConn or RU to ACC is fine for me, I would hate to lose the basketball wars, but you gotta give a little to get a little, and there football I don't feel is a true rival. We basically are trading 1 game every 2 years in East Hartford, CT for 1 game every 2 years in Boston,MA. The city of Boston > city of East Hartford. Why would BC want UConn in the conference and potential harm their . With Pitt, SU, in the ACC along with Maryland BC's travel will be reduced to basically 1 or 2 long road trips a year. While Coach Spaz is doing an awful job this year BC's recruiting is pretty decent and chances are an upcoming MAC coach or a Bud Foster type assistant coach could turn Boston College around.
The ACC probably won't expand to 16 until the Pac-12 does it first, there was an article somebody referenced where nobody wants to kill other conferences and going to 16 will kill one of the BCS conferences whether it be the Big 12 or Big East.

Herbst: "... but that was a long time ago. The school president has been replaced, we're getting a new athletic director. Hell (oops, did I say that?), even the state's attorney general is different. You've just got to let us in."

Et Tu, Jim Calhoun to Boston College
"We won't play BC after they leave here. I have no desire to play Boston College. Nor for the fact that they are leaving, but how they did it. I will not play Boston College as long as I'm here.''
-- UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun (Hartford Courant, Oct. 20, 2003)

Don't think BC will bulge unless the ACC forces them too, but right now the ACC doesn't need 16. Also, you gotta think Donna Schala won't forget the lawsuit. That is 2 NO votes are there 2 other to prevent them?

Assume the rest of the conference is divided on the issue and it would keep UgotConned out.

BC stance right now is irrelevant. ACC move was defensive to match SEC at 14 teams. "Hey ESPN you are increasing SEC contract, we have the same number of teams, increase our $$$ as well". In addition to protecting itself against possibly losing VTech and/or FSU.

SEC is sitting quiet so probably will just invite 14th team and not go to 16. The rest of the conferences that matter are staying as are. UCONN will be back on the table in a couple of years when the next moves start to happen.

Herbst: "... but that was a long time ago. The school president has been replaced, we're getting a new athletic director. Hell (oops, did I say that?), even the state's attorney general is different. You've just got to let us in."

I don't know what Fr. Healy is going to say in response, but he might think:

This is the University that sued me (personally, I think) BC and the ACC, driven by that scumbag Blumenthal, who was the AG but who is now a US Senator from Connecticut. That's hardly "gone".

This is the same University whose students pelted that BC student bus with bottles after our last game at their place.

This is the same crowd that has been calling me a liar and worse for 8 years.

This is the same University whose Hall of Fame basketball coach said he'd never play BC again.

My experience with the Irish --- and Healy is Irish -- is that they aren't real big on "letting bygones be bygones" Irish Alzheimers is where you forget everything but the grudges.

After their last game in the Big East, their AD said it had been an extremely difficult time that he wouldn't want to go through again. He laughed at the prospect of ever scheduling UConn again.

You reap just what you sow.

I don't know what Fr. Healy is going to say in response, but he might think:

This is the University that sued me (personally, I think) BC and the ACC, driven by that scumbag Blumenthal, who was the AG but who is now a US Senator from Connecticut. That's hardly "gone".

This is the same University whose students pelted that BC student bus with bottles after our last game at their place.

This is the same crowd that has been calling me a liar and worse for 8 years.

This is the same University whose Hall of Fame basketball coach said he'd never play BC again.

My experience with the Irish --- and Healy is Irish -- is that they aren't real big on "letting bygones be bygones" Irish Alzheimers is where you forget everything but the grudges.

After their last game in the Big East, their AD said it had been an extremely difficult time that he wouldn't want to go through again. He laughed at the prospect of ever scheduling UConn again.

You reap just what you sow.
Good Post. business 101- never burn a bridge, pretty basic rule. UCONN made their bed

If the other 11 ACC members want UConn in, then UConn gets in.

Why would BC, SU or Pitt want them in? The longer they wait the better.

Combine a much lamer BE with P and his rancid offense, boneheadedness, and sideline persona and they are headed down.

ACC should hold out for ND and the more remote chance of TX until its a HELL NO.
Agree that holding out for ND is the strategy, at least for the time being. Since none of the other potential superconferences are at 16 or look like they are goin there any time soon there is no rush. It is pretty apparant that the jump from 14 to 16 wo ND can be done at any time. I would view UConn as the next best available school out there in the geographical area, but they have nowhere near the clout of the Irish, and if we eventually lost them it would be no big deal.

There is simply no reason to go past 14 at this time.

If the other 11 ACC members want UConn in, then UConn gets in.
What's the likelihood of the other ACC members rising up in support of adding UConn? Pretty small I think.

There's also this question of territorial rights. Hasn't USF been blocking CFL to the Big East because of the impact that would have on their "territory"?

Swofford is the guy who is most likely calling the shots. And UConn named him individually and personally in that Law Suit.

I'd prefer UConn to Rutgers ... but I think UConn has a uphill battle because of the history. You reap what you sow.

What's the likelihood of the other ACC members rising up in support of adding UConn? Pretty small I think..

Forget football.

Who in ACC hoop is secure enough to bring in a 3 time NCAA hoop winner, who won last year, with all the great NBA players. U Conn could repeat in 11-12. Add the UConn women and its tough to think big picture.

In the big pic, tough for ACC admin to resist adding such a hoop power to ACC, but they arent voting

This is old news. There's no question that BC wanted no part of UConn the first time around. That's one of the reasons it joined the ACC, and it's one of the reasons why SU is joining the ACC now; SU wants to separates themselves from UConn and Rutgers. However, I don't think it's as big of factor as it was when BC left for the ACC.

Good, good point.

The ACC basketball powers are certainly not going to want to see UConn in addition to SU and Pitt. SU and Pitt are bad enough.

I can imaging the conversation between Swofford and Roy Williams or Mike K now. "John, think about what you are doing to us. This isn't like adding BC or VT or Miami. These are serious, National Power teams you are letting in here. It's conceivable that SU, Pitt and UConn could finish 1 - 2 -3 in the ACC relegating Duke and UNC to 4th and 5th or worse. You have admitted SU and Pitt, so there's no going back on that. But no UConn too, please!"

what have we learned boys and girls?? You never burn bridges! you never know what will happen down the road.

what have we learned boys and girls?? You never burn bridges! you never know what will happen down the road.

They couldn't help themselves, oldpinepoint.

It was too much fun to villify BC, to pelt buses with bottles and to tell a few jokes about priests as pedophiles.

Learning to control your base instincts and and even smile when everything inside you is screaming for you to do the opposite is a life long journey. The sooner you learn the skill, the better off you will be.

Act in haste. Repent or regret at leisure.

This is old news. There's no question that BC wanted no part of UConn the first time around. That's one of the reasons it joined the ACC, and it's one of the reasons why SU is joining the ACC now; SU wants to separates themselves from UConn and Rutgers. However, I don't think it's as big of factor as it was when BC left for the ACC.
So SU leaving the BE because they want no part of Uconn...hmmmm...I think not.

What's the likelihood of the other ACC members rising up in support of adding UConn? Pretty small I think.

There's also this question of territorial rights. Hasn't USF been blocking CFL to the Big East because of the impact that would have on their "territory"?

Swofford is the guy who is most likely calling the shots. And UConn named him individually and personally in that Law Suit.

I'd prefer UConn to Rutgers ... but I think UConn has a uphill battle because of the history. You reap what you sow.

What's the likelihood that if the ACC wants UConn that BC has enough pull to stop it?

I don't see the ACC inviting UConn anytime soon, unless there is a reason to (ND addition, Big Ten adds teams, etc). But to think that BC can actually "block" UConn is silly. Duke & UNC couldn't block expansion in 2003 (they could F it up, but not block it!).

I seriously doubt any of the southern schools want UConn, from a fans perspective they would like to have added a football school and I think they would have preferred WVU over Syracuse.

A definite NO for UConn.

The ACC thinks of itself pretty highly academically. Cuse and Pitt fit better than UConn in that regard. BC may want to block UConn because of New England competition and the lawsuit, but I seriously doubt that has happened yet. The ACC took Pitt and Cuse (who I strongly believe were the top 2 targets in this go-around) to get to 14 to keep pace with the SEC and enable a restructuring of the TV contract. Beyond 14 is uncharted territory. Obviously if Texas or ND want in, you do it ASAP and grab UConn or whoever they want as the last team. But it's not really known how a 14 team all-sports conference functions yet. If the big fish doesn't want to jump yet, the ACC will sit back and see how they do financially with 14 schools... this will tell them if it makes sense to go to 16 even if they can't get a Texas or ND. FWIW, BC's AD wants Nova over UConn... which I think is crazy unless they build a 40K+ stadium and make a big commitment to go FBS hard.