BC Postgame Thoughts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

BC Postgame Thoughts

Taylor can’t guard Ingram on Saturday. I worry about Brown being in foul trouble. We have no one who can guard Davis either. I guy like Tremble will probably go off on Saturday. This could get ugly early. I’m not sure where any roads wins are coming.
We can beat Pitt, NC State, Ga Tech and a few others on the road. I’m not saying we will win those, but we have shots in those games. Clemson might be a harder pull.

Last edited:
Absolutely true and they played a tough(er) schedule to start. Unfortunately, the schedule IMO only gets tougher in the 2nd half of the season. They have 8 conference road games and 8 home games remaining. Of those remaining road games, only two are against teams that are ranked appreciably lower than Syracuse in most metrics (KP, NET, Evan Miya, SRS, etc): @Louisville and @G-Tech. At BC is going to be a tough one, as is @Pitt and @NC State. They have 7 remaining games that are going to be incredibly tough to win: UNC x 2, Clemson x 2, @Wake, Miami, and @Pitt and 5 games that are probably going to be pick-ems: VT, NC State x 2, FSU, and @BC.

Syracuse is 2-4 against teams with better metrics with their two wins being at home against Pitt and and in Sioux falls against short-handed Oregon team. The four losses have been blowouts. 4-12 to end the season is not that unlikely, especially given the state of the roster.
After this weekend’s away game at UNC, none of the remaining games scare me. Most ACC teams are as mediocre as we are.

What a dumb comment that the team played better without Judah. He didn’t have his usual scoring night but still made significant contributions. Made big free throws down the stretch, got three steals and played good defense, and made the assist to Bell on his timely 3 ball late in the game. I’m so tired of all you Judah haters out there and will be glad when he leaves, even if he doesn’t get drafted, which he probably will. But if he doesn’t I’d want to see him go to the portal to a tournament contention team like Joe did. Judah is still the best player in the team but is undervalued and under appreciated by all you haters out there. Happy to see Maliq come on. He’s got so much potential and is a great kid. Same goes for Q. But the numbers don’t lie. Judah leads team in scoring, steals, assists, free throws attempted/made and free throw %. Plus he’s a leader on this team and well thought of by coaching staff and teammates. Do really think they are better without him? If so, That’s freaking nuts!
You left out that he also leads the team in turnovers. I guess you missed the first 9 minutes of the game and saw how we dominated BC on both ends of the court.
There's no need to insult every poster that points out the obvious flaws in Judah's game.
SU is not a top 25 team and your grandson is part of the team. Everyone on the TEAM including your grandson needs to improve.

You left out that he also leads the team in turnovers. I guess you missed the first 9 minutes of the game and saw how we dominated BC on both ends of the court.
There's no need to insult every poster that points out the obvious flaws in Judah's game.
SU is not a top 25 team and your grandson is part of the team. Everyone on the TEAM including your grandson needs to improve.
Perfect reply! Apparently he doesn’t realize or read all of the constructive criticism that we, as fans, give to ALL of the players. The entire TEAM needs to improve, and continue working as ONE to achieve their ultimate goals!

I'm with you on a lot of this but it also feels thin to me in a way. Defensively our numbers are better but it's been ugly against good teams. Jury is still very much out on this team and Red (and believe me, I'm rooting for Red and I'm not criticizing him here -- simply saying it's early and we just don't know).

I will say this is a more entertaining brand of basketball than the past several years.

Fair points. I think , and I was wrong about it , that the Jesse mishap can’t be understated at this point. You put him next to Maliq and it’s a top 5 ACC frontcourt as a unit. Also Judah is a major talent but like any player has his flaws and they have been laid bare at times with JJs struggles and the inconsistency from Bell and Taylor as well as Benny. I’m optimistic it’s only year 1 and we are better in some phases. That’s a good sign. We need shooting and have a deadeye coming in.. etc etc

What a dumb comment that the team played better without Judah. He didn’t have his usual scoring night but still made significant contributions. Made big free throws down the stretch, got three steals and played good defense, and made the assist to Bell on his timely 3 ball late in the game. I’m so tired of all you Judah haters out there and will be glad when he leaves, even if he doesn’t get drafted, which he probably will. But if he doesn’t I’d want to see him go to the portal to a tournament contention team like Joe did. Judah is still the best player in the team but is undervalued and under appreciated by all you haters out there. Happy to see Maliq come on. He’s got so much potential and is a great kid. Same goes for Q. But the numbers don’t lie. Judah leads team in scoring, steals, assists, free throws attempted/made and free throw %. Plus he’s a leader on this team and well thought of by coaching staff and teammates. Do really think they are better without him? If so, That’s freaking nuts!
“I’m so tired of all you Judah haters out there and will be glad when he leaves, even if he doesn’t get drafted, which he probably will. But if he doesn’t I’d want to see him go to the portal to a tournament contention team like Joe did.”

How is this helpful? I suggest ignoring the boo birds and haters. Not worth your time. There are a lot less of them out there than Judah Mintz fans.

Fair points. I think , and I was wrong about it , that the Jesse mishap can’t be understated at this point. You put him next to Maliq and it’s a top 5 ACC frontcourt as a unit. Also Judah is a major talent but like any player has his flaws and they have been laid bare at times with JJs struggles and the inconsistency from Bell and Taylor as well as Benny. I’m optimistic it’s only year 1 and we are better in some phases. That’s a good sign. We need shooting and have a deadeye coming in.. etc etc
It would be interesting to see Jesse and Maliq play together but I don't think it would be all that smooth. spacing would be an issue.

FWIW, I agree that saying the team is better off without JM is in fact a dumb comment. The reason he did not start had nothing to do with strategy. Opponents game plan for him. Red does not think we would be better off without him and I think he knows more than you.

If your posts are a reflection of what Judah thinks, and how he sees his teammates, then it would probably be better if we didn't know about it, and you let them keep that within the team, with all this "I'm the best player on this team" and "I wish I was on a team that's going to play in the NCAAs".

MAKE IT SO, IF YOU ARE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM.

Judah's a very talented young man, but what's going to get him a pro career is the ability to create easy shots for others, and to be honest, we're still not seeing very much of that.

Judah, the guy with the ball in his hands most of the time, has not led the team in assists in even HALF of our 15 games so far.

when we’re not getting steals we’re out of position and give up too many easy looks. Defense overall is very much a work in progress.
Very bad timing for this take. Our defense was never better than last night.
[/QUOTE]
the issue vs BC was getting the steals and breakouts and not scoring on them.. Steals on the backend stop the other team. We got steals in scoring areas and have 1/2 of them away. You need be scoring at like 80%+ when you get steals in the spots we did not 50%. We could have been up 30 in the first if we knew how to run a fast break.

FWIW, I agree that saying the team is better off without JM is in fact a dumb comment. The reason he did not start had nothing to do with strategy. Opponents game plan for him. Red does not think we would be better off without him and I think he knows more than you.

I reread my post and couldn't find any anything saying the team would be better off without Judah.
I stated that all players need to improve and there was no need to insult other posters every time they critique one particular player.
I know that Judah violated team rules are he didn't start but you're blind if you didn't see the drop-off in team play after the first 9 minutes.
Of course we need every player on the team, different players have big games on different nights.
He called 2 other posters dumb, not me.

The reason he didn't start was likely disciplinary, just like it was with Benny.

I don't think "comfortable with" is the phrase you meant; I think you wanted to say he only has maybe 3 guys he can depend on.

I would agree with that. But when you have a group of limited players, if you play them more than Boeheim did (which Autry is clearly doing ...), then you have players like Copeland having an occasional 20 point game, and really becoming a more important piece of the team.

He has given Taylor and Bell every opportunity. Neither one is enough of a threat from three, but at least Taylor knows he has to defend, rebound, and stick his nose in there - and he does, and that is useful for us. He's very solid on the defensive end.

Bell is pretty one dimensional, but against BC, it all clicked, and he had a great game. That doesn't happen, if he doesn't know whether or not he's getting off the bench in any particular game.

You have to encourage kids to get out of them what they can give you. Boeheim wasn't so patient, wasn't so good at giving young players a chance. One bad mistake and you could be done for the night. You don't develop a bench that way; you drive players away.
Bell has been trending up on D for awhile.. Its his rebounding thats a killer. the Duke game he got aggressive and drew some quick fouls.

I get it, he's family so I'm sure that's why you're super sensitive to anything that appears to be criticism. That's why I wouldn't spend time on an internet board if my son or grandson was playing at this level. However, each to his/her own.

As for the dumb comment you referenced, with all due respect, the only thing I've read that is dumb is calling people on this board "Judah Haters". Many of us offer critiques of EVERY player. We ALL know that without Judah this year, we would be in a bad spot. We are also all very happy to have him on the team and wish we could have him for another year. That all said, do remember, this is an internet forum where people share opinions.

Game thread as the first 10 mins of game are happening: Yikes. Should be up by way more. This is ugly. Thank god BC sucks etc.

Post game analysis: We we’re winning before Judah came in that must mean we are better without Judah

Lol. Lmao. He is our best player. Please use your brain people. We need Judah

Judah's the most talented guy the program has had in forever.

Yeah, it's weird that he's not appreciated more.

It's similar to Jesse last season. Lots of talk then about his weaknesses, yet he was the best 2 way center we've had since Rak Christmas and would have been a tremendous difference maker for us this season.

Post game analysis: We we’re winning before Judah came in that must mean we are better without Judah

Lol. Lmao. He is our best player. Please use your brain people. We need Judah
I've read through this thread and don't recall anyone making that claim. Maybe I missed it. What I've read is that sometimes ball movement isn't as good as it could be with Judah and the first 9 minutes of the BC game sort of showed that. However, that doesn't mean we're better without him. Cleary not. He's our best player followed quickly by Brown.

It's similar to Jesse last season. Lots of talk then about his weaknesses, yet he was the best 2 way center we've had since Rak Christmas and would have been a tremendous difference maker for us this season.
I agree with your comment about Jesse. I didn't get that last year at all. He was such a good center for us and we would be on another level with him this year.

No doubt that Copeland is our starting point guard next year. His decision making tonight was really good. He knows how to make plays and where to take the ball. Moving forward, Bell is the key. We have to have his shooting. You can’t count on Taylor or Benny to make shots.
Justin is falling away(backwards) on all his shots, it would help his percentage if he would stop doing that.

I've read through this thread and don't recall anyone making that claim. Maybe I missed it. What I've read is that sometimes ball movement isn't as good as it could be with Judah and the first 9 minutes of the BC game sort of showed that. However, that doesn't mean we're better without him. Cleary not. He's our best player followed quickly by Brown.

I agree with your comment about Jesse. I didn't get that last year at all. He was such a good center for us and we would be on another level with him this year.
Even saying the team played better without Judah in those first minutes is misleading, and that is something several people are saying here. It was not like it was a pretty first 10 mins where everything was going smoothly. It was more BCs errors that were keeping us in the lead. People are talking about the start of the game like it is a sign of something bigger. It ain't.

Why do you find it strange that our most talented players receive the most praise/criticism? Fans aren't going to spend as much time critiquing players who do not have the talent or ability to overcome the critique. If anything its a compliment to both Mintz and Edwards. Its an admittance of their physical gifts and the potential players they could be. This is only accentuated by NIL money. If they are being compensated more than other players then naturally they will be held to a higher standard.

I'm not saying all criticism is fair or all players are properly appreciated. I'm just pointing out that its very easy to see why certain players who are more productive than others may receive a greater amount of critiquing. This is pretty basic human behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom