Been a fan for 25 years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Been a fan for 25 years

I blame the empty stands on people who think like you. The fact that you didn't think that way until later doesn't make it right.

Blame the fans for everything. CTO blames the fans for recruiting because high school kids read the board and they shouldn't read negative stuff the fans are saying about the program. You are blaming the empty seats because fans don't want to spend money to watch the team lose week after week, year after year. Nothing to do with the fact the team isn't any good nor has been for damn near a decade now.

Everything bad with SU football is the fans fault. I get it now! We are on the same page!

I've been a fan of SU football for more than 45 years. 1969 through 1978 stunk too -- 43 wins and 64 losses. But yes, the past decade has been even worse. Today was unfortunately no surprise. I'll be shocked if we beat Pitt in their house.
Come on, At least in 70 they beat Penn State on the Road and Pitt at Home and had a Great Comeback Season despite the Black Boycott

I have said it a million times here on this site and the old site. I got an SU survey a year or two ago and I said it there and wrote like a novel to them why I hate it. Honestly, this is common sense stuff they shouldn't have to be told. And I'm to tired to argue with SU over this anymore. If the team was winning I might not care as much about the damn band blowing my ear drums out, but as they are losing year after year its just another straw on the camels back. And much like the team...I QUIT! They win.
I said the same thing in 1973 when we beat Holy Cross 5-3, 2-9 Record "But I endevered to perservere " Chief Dan George The Outlaw Josey Wales

one of those movies that you've seen a hundred times but still stop to watch when flipping around.
unlike the su/cincy replay which i can't stomach a second time.
"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."

Blame the fans for everything. CTO blames the fans for recruiting because high school kids read the board and they shouldn't read negative stuff the fans are saying about the program. You are blaming the empty seats because fans don't want to spend money to watch the team lose week after week, year after year. Nothing to do with the fact the team isn't any good nor has been for damn near a decade now.

Everything bad with SU football is the fans fault. I get it now! We are on the same page!

I'm not "blaming the fans for everything". I'm just saying that removing the financial and emotional underpinnings of the program won't solve the problem.

I'm not "blaming the fans for everything". I'm just saying that removing the financial and emotional underpinnings of the program won't solve the problem.
correct it won't solve it but they will have to earn my entertainment dollar back. Season tickets are probably going away and I will go to a game or two a year maybe. But as a season ticket holder I think I am done. That's just me. I can't do it anymore. It's like throwing money down the toilet.

Do you think fans at Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Flroida, Alabama, Texas or Oklahoma stop going to games when they go through a rough patch, (and all of them have). You're like George Washington's doctors, who throught the cure for a cold was to drain the blood from him to get rid of the "bad humors". If we filled the Dome for every game, we'd get top coaches and top players, even after losing streaks and bad seasons. Empty stands and no money are just a recipe for more losing.

Actually, the fans of those teams do stop going to games during the extended rough patches, since the empty seats are one of the only things that the administration will notice. The fans may keep their season tickets because they want to keep their priority positioning once the program recovers, but they'll stop going to games. And the loss of paying customers on game day is eventually felt on the bottom line, especially when a 90,000 seat stadium is only a third full.

Nebraska has sold out every home game since 1962. Michigan had had crowds of 100,000 every year since 1975. These schools change coaches just because they want to win, not because the fans force them to by not showing up.

Nebraska has sold out every home game since 1962. Michigan had had crowds of 100,000 every year since 1975. These schools change coaches just because they want to win, not because the fans force them to by not showing up.

I think it's more the case that the big donors start telling the administration that they are getting fed up and are about to spend their funds elsewhere that ignites change. This just seems to happen at about the same time the Regular Joe fan starts to let his seats go empty rather than show up once the slide of the program has started. I've seen that at several of the big SEC schools that went through their difficult periods in the last 10 years.

Come on, At least in 70 they beat Penn State on the Road and Pitt at Home and had a Great Comeback Season despite the Black Boycott
bens best coaching performance of all time

Hi guys,

I'm the director of the SUMB and have been reading this thread and wanted to talk a little bit about the small band that goes into the third tier in the third quarter.

We call it the "Third Quarter Band" and we "stole" the idea from other schools back around 2002, the first year we started doing it. We choose a different part of the third tier each game; it depends upon where there are empty seats/enough room for about 35 kids to go. We always go on the opposite side of the large, full band, so it will always be on the same side of the field as the "Orange" endzone. The kids go to that section and do the traditional cheers and music that the full group does and cheers with the fans up there.

Most of the feedback we get about this is good; that's why we continue to do it. After games like last weekend's, where the outcome is not what we all want, we do occasionally hear some feedback like what some of you are saying. I'm truly sorry if the SUMB made your experience worse in any way. Perhaps we can look into moving around during the third quarter so we are not in one place the whole time in case there are some fans who do not enjoy the small band up there.

Thanks for your thoughts, and Go Orange!

Hi guys,

I'm the director of the SUMB and have been reading this thread and wanted to talk a little bit about the small band that goes into the third tier in the third quarter.

We call it the "Third Quarter Band" and we "stole" the idea from other schools back around 2002, the first year we started doing it. We choose a different part of the third tier each game; it depends upon where there are empty seats/enough room for about 35 kids to go. We always go on the opposite side of the large, full band, so it will always be on the same side of the field as the "Orange" endzone. The kids go to that section and do the traditional cheers and music that the full group does and cheers with the fans up there.

Most of the feedback we get about this is good; that's why we continue to do it. After games like last weekend's, where the outcome is not what we all want, we do occasionally hear some feedback like what some of you are saying. I'm truly sorry if the SUMB made your experience worse in any way. Perhaps we can look into moving around during the third quarter so we are not in one place the whole time in case there are some fans who do not enjoy the small band up there.

Thanks for your thoughts, and Go Orange!

For 3 years I have wrote letters, posted on this board and the scout board, and even called the school athletic department once a few years back complaining. I go to watch a football game. I pay good $$$$ to watch a football game. I don't want a band behind me for a quarter blowing my eardrums out. I'm sorry, but it sucks! People in my area groan when they see you guys walking up. They might smile to not be mean to the kids, but you don't hear the initial groan among the fans in the area. Don't take this personally but if the band was at the game or not, I wouldn't care. I'm not paying to see a band. Stick to your endzone seats and play. And I don't care if other schools do it, I don't care. I'm guessing those are OUTDOOR stadiums that are much larger most likely. Inside a tiny dome the sound is unbearable. I can't hear the ref make a penalty call (which is the game, the thing I am actually paying $$$ to see). If the guy on the PA is saying anything I can't hear that. I can hardly talk to the person next to me. Godforbid I want to talk to someone 2 or 3 seats down from me. It's annoying!

Now I know you are just doing what your told, I don't want to take this out on you. But a large part why I am not renewing my season tickets is not because the team loses, I can sorta deal with that. But because the "Dome Experience" for football is no longer fun. And the band in the 3rd quarter making me def is a very large part of it...for me!

Good Luck, Best Wishes, Happy Holidays!

But a large part why I am not renewing my season tickets is not because the team loses, I can sorta deal with that. But because the "Dome Experience" for football is no longer fun. And the band in the 3rd quarter making me def is a very large part of it...for me!

From your first post in this thread:

"I can put up with the bad parking situation, the overpriced beer, crappy food, the band playing over the PA music so I can't hear anything. I can deal with that. But the team sucks and the games are boring."

"I can put up with the bad parking situation, the overpriced beer, crappy food, the band playing over the PA music so I can't hear anything. I can deal with that. But the team sucks and the games are boring."
the guys a longtime fan and paying customer and he's venting - lighten up with the holier than thou bs

Sorry, I will have my proof-reader go over everything before I hit submit so I don't confuse you next time. I will make sure I paint a perfect picture for you.

For the record:
1) Team is boring and doesn't improve much
2) Band is annoying and hurts my eardrums 5 out of 7 times a year when they march up behind me for a quarter for no good reason

Top 2 reasons why I am not renewing my season tickets after 15 years. Get it. Got it. GOOD!

I didn't say it- he did.

get over it and get over your self. If you want to go through posts with a fine tooth comb go ahead and waste your time...99.9% of the people here understood what I was saying.

Besides you are wrong anyway, I said in my original post I can put up with the band playing over the PA music, which I can. I was bitching about the band in the 3rd quarter walking behind me and blaring my eardrums out for no good reason. UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE?!?! It's pretty simple!

I think we can all learn a lesson from the Blues Brothers.

Gimme Some Lovin' just brings out the angry redneck in some of us.

You're musicians, you have to read the crowd. When you're a fan watching your team getting their asses kicked, to hear that right after an easy Cincinnati touchdown, it's infuriating. My first thought is that no one in the band is even paying attention or gives a crap about what's happening on the field.

I dunno, play the Dudley Do-Right theme there or something. Just not farking We're Not Gonna Take It.

:)

get over it and get over your self. If you want to go through posts with a fine tooth comb go ahead and waste your time...99.9% of the people here understood what I was saying.

Besides you are wrong anyway, I said in my original post I can put up with the band playing over the PA music, which I can. I was bitching about the band in the 3rd quarter walking behind me and blaring my eardrums out for no good reason. UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE?!?! It's pretty simple!

The problem with venting is that your emotions can get the best of you and you don't really analyze what you are saying.

I get it that you really don't like anything about being at the Dome for football games anywmore so you won't be there but you like coming here to complain about it.

The problem with venting is that your emotions can get the best of you and you don't really analyze what you are saying.

I get it that you really don't like anything about being at the Dome for football games anywmore so you won't be there but you like coming here to complain about it.
And you like responding to every single one of my posts like some sick freak. As I said, get over it! Everyone else has!

I have been consistent in everything I said. Go back an re-read, better yet, DON'T! nobody cares

And you like responding to every single one of my posts like some sick freak. As I said, get over it! Everyone else has!

I have been consistent in everything I said. Go back an re-read, better yet, DON'T! nobody cares

I agree that we've gone as far as this needs to go. On to other subjects.

quote="Stern, post: 98263"]And you like responding to every single one of my posts like some sick freak. As I said, get over it! Everyone else has!

I have been consistent in everything I said. Go back an re-read, better yet, DON'T! nobody cares[/quote]

I agree that it's time to move on to other subjects. You have every right to go or not go to the games as you please and it would probably be a better idea for the band to restrict it's playing to the more joyous moments.

Why don't you move your seats to the opposite corner?

OT, I get the sense that you and I are about the same age and have pretty much the same years under our belt, I certainly feel the pain. At what point, does one just throw in the towel, I came close with GROB. Marrone lost me after UCONN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom