Been a fan for 25 years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Been a fan for 25 years

OT, I get the sense that you and I are about the same age and have pretty much the same years under our belt, I certainly feel the pain. At what point, does one just throw in the towel, I came close with GROB. Marrone lost me after UCONN.

I don't think you ever "throw in the towel", but you certainly reprioritize. On Saturday I raked my yard and occassionally checked the score on my phone. I would never apologize for that, this team has not been entertaining to watch for a month, and there was no reason to waste a beautiful day on the off chance we grinded out an ugly 6th win.

If I lived in CNY, while I'd certainly always have season tickets, I might very well have skipped Saturday's game.

I don't blame anyone for being thoroughly discouraged. This is the 3rd straight November where we've totally collapsed. Not just losing, but being non-competitive in too many games. It sucks the joy out of follwng this program.

This is my 51st year of being an SU football fan and I'm looking forward to my 52nd year, (it's got to be better than this).

Goodbye Stern, we'll miss you.
Speak for yourself about the "missing him" part. Well actually it's sometimes good to have an oddball opinion to banter about.

Hi guys,

I'm the director of the SUMB and have been reading this thread and wanted to talk a little bit about the small band that goes into the third tier in the third quarter.

We call it the "Third Quarter Band" and we "stole" the idea from other schools back around 2002, the first year we started doing it. We choose a different part of the third tier each game; it depends upon where there are empty seats/enough room for about 35 kids to go. We always go on the opposite side of the large, full band, so it will always be on the same side of the field as the "Orange" endzone. The kids go to that section and do the traditional cheers and music that the full group does and cheers with the fans up there.

Most of the feedback we get about this is good; that's why we continue to do it. After games like last weekend's, where the outcome is not what we all want, we do occasionally hear some feedback like what some of you are saying. I'm truly sorry if the SUMB made your experience worse in any way. Perhaps we can look into moving around during the third quarter so we are not in one place the whole time in case there are some fans who do not enjoy the small band up there.

Thanks for your thoughts, and Go Orange!

Ok, so I have to ask. And I'm sorry if you've answered it before. I'm 38 so my memory is going. What is the deal with not letting the band play the fight song as the team takes the field. Whose call was that? (I know it isn't the band's choice).

And after TDs, we used to play the entire fight song, not just the Down the Field chorus. Who put the axe to that one? Do you even know or is it just Dome Mgmt?

To each their own on the band going around to the different sections. I actually think it's pretty cool, make the band part of the experience. But it's CNY, so unless you play You Shook Me All Night Long, someone will be complaining.

Ok, so I have to ask. And I'm sorry if you've answered it before. I'm 38 so my memory is going. What is the deal with not letting the band play the fight song as the team takes the field. Whose call was that? (I know it isn't the band's choice).

And after TDs, we used to play the entire fight song, not just the Down the Field chorus. Who put the axe to that one? Do you even know or is it just Dome Mgmt?

To each their own on the band going around to the different sections. I actually think it's pretty cool, make the band part of the experience. But it's CNY, so unless you play You Shook Me All Night Long, someone will be complaining.

Also, I'd love to have them play "The Saltine Warrior" again. The lyrics to the song have nothing to do with native Americans and I prefer it, (slightly) to "Down Down the Field". I'd love to eaer both played, actually.

In the days of old, when knights were bold
Every city had its warrior man.
In the days of new, when fights are few
You will view them from a big grandstand.
In our college town one has great renown
If the game of football he should play.
With his pig-skin ball he is cheered by all,
He's the Saltine Warrior of today.
The Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And his weapon is a pigskin ball,
When on the field he takes a good, firm stand,
He's the hero of large and small.
He will rush toward the goal with might and main
His opponents all fight, but they fight in vain,
Because the Saltine Warrior is a bold, bad man,
And victorious over all.

Speak for yourself about the "missing him" part. Well actually it's sometimes good to have an oddball opinion to banter about.
For a guy with 35 posts on this board, thanks for adding to the discussion in such a positive way :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom