Been a fan for 25 years | Syracusefan.com

Been a fan for 25 years

I've been a fan of SU football for more than 45 years. 1969 through 1978 stunk too -- 43 wins and 64 losses. But yes, the past decade has been even worse. Today was unfortunately no surprise. I'll be shocked if we beat Pitt in their house.

Going to the games isn't fun anymore. Been a season ticket holder for around 15 years now. It isn't fun anymore, it hasn't been fun in a while but now the novelty has totally worn off. I can put up with the bad parking situation, the overpriced beer, crappy food, the band playing over the PA music so I can't hear anything. I can deal with that. But the team sucks and the games are boring. Started under Coach P, got worse with GRob and is about the same with Clueless Doug.

Going to SU football games aren't a fun experience. Period! This might be it for me. Never thought I would be "that guy" who gave up his seats and stopped going, but why go? They have given me NO reason too in a decade. Even last year, yeah they made a bowl but all the "big wins" came on the road.

I attended the Cherry Bowl, those were the days. At least you could see some progress.

Stern - I completely agree with your comment on the experience not being fun. I usually make 1 SU game a year at a minimum and go to other games around the east coast. The experience at other venues is multiple times better regardless of the team.

Not sure how much is on Marrone now but I have said it before and I will say it again, the Robinson hire was one of the worst in college football history. Set the program back light years.

There were long time season ticket holders next to me today that left at the half. They just couldn't watch it any more. I have to admit, it's very hard to watch this team play. There is no single player worth coming to watch next year either. The offense has ZERO playmakers and no one is coming in to help. How are you suppose to improve in this conference when you continunally get beat in recruiting. When this game started I didn't think Cincy could score 10-14 points. There quarterback is below average at best. Unfortuanately, our below average quarterback doesn't have a single BCS player on offense. On defense, enough said.

There were long time season ticket holders next to me today that left at the half. They just couldn't watch it any more. I have to admit, it's very hard to watch this team play. There is no single player worth coming to watch next year either. The offense has ZERO playmakers and no one is coming in to help. How are you suppose to improve in this conference when you continunally get beat in recruiting. When this game started I didn't think Cincy could score 10-14 points. There quarterback is below average at best. Unfortuanately, our below average quarterback doesn't have a single BCS player on offense. On defense, enough said.

Nassib is at least an average QB. The problem is that many of the players around him are no more than average. If he had better playmakers, he would look a lot better.

My Syracuse fan life started in my freshman year - 1972 - the first losing season since about 1949. The Orangemen then stunk for several years under Ben, Frank and Mac. The waiting for success was much worse than now. We'll be up next year, but I sure had my hopes up a month ago.

The worst thing - the ing worst - is when you're in the Dome and SU goes three and out three times in a row and you're thinking, this can't get much worse.

And then behind you, half the goddamn band shows up and starts dancing around carefree and playing the Blues Brothers theme.

I'm not excusing going psycho and running amok like in Falling Down, but I can definitely relate better after today.

The worst thing - the ******* worst - is when you're in the Dome and SU goes three and out three times in a row and you're thinking, this can't get much worse.

And then behind you, half the goddamn band shows up and starts dancing around carefree and playing the Blues Brothers theme.

I have had the same season tickets for close to 15 years. 300 level middle of the field behind the SU bench. I said in another post I am leaning towards giving them up. A large part is because of that mother band. We have 7 home games a year, for 5 of them the entire 3rd quarter they are behind me blaring that music. I can't hear the refs calling a penalty, I can't hear anything on the PA system, I can't even enjoy the game for the entire 3rd quarter, not to mention it gives me a headache. Now I could move my seats, but at this point why bother. Aside from the team sucking, a LARGE part in me probably giving up my tickets will be because of the band annoying me and making the experience even worse up there.

I have had the same season tickets for close to 15 years. 300 level middle of the field behind the SU bench. I said in another post I am leaning towards giving them up. A large part is because of that mother band. We have 7 home games a year, for 5 of them the entire 3rd quarter they are behind me blaring that music. I can't hear the refs calling a penalty, I can't hear anything on the PA system, I can't even enjoy the game for the entire 3rd quarter, not to mention it gives me a headache. Now I could move my seats, but at this point why bother. Aside from the team sucking, a LARGE part in me probably giving up my tickets will be because of the band annoying me and making the experience even worse up there.

Have you let the band director know your feelings? He posts in this site (I think his handle is SUMB) and has asked for feedback from posters on what would make their experience better. I was very surprised when I saw where those band members were sitting. I had heard that a group headed up to the third level in the third quarter, but I have no idea why.

Have you let the band director know your feelings? He posts in this site (I think his handle is SUMB) and has asked for feedback from posters on what would make their experience better. I was very surprised when I saw where those band members were sitting. I had heard that a group headed up to the third level in the third quarter, but I have no idea why.

I have said it a million times here on this site and the old site. I got an SU survey a year or two ago and I said it there and wrote like a novel to them why I hate it. Honestly, this is common sense stuff they shouldn't have to be told. And I'm to tired to argue with SU over this anymore. If the team was winning I might not care as much about the damn band blowing my ear drums out, but as they are losing year after year its just another straw on the camels back. And much like the team...I QUIT! They win.

This is my 51st year of being an SU football fan and I'm looking forward to my 52nd year, (it's got to be better than this).

Goodbye Stern, we'll miss you.

This is my 51st year of being an SU football fan and I'm looking forward to my 52nd year, (it's got to be better than this).

Goodbye Stern, we'll miss you.
Didn't say I was going to stop being a fan. Just probably a paying/supporting fan. They have lost my entertainment dollar. They will always have the chance to win it back

Didn't say I was going to stop being a fan. Just probably a paying/supporting fan. They have lost my entertainment dollar. They will always have the chance to win it back
I thought you were made of sterner stuff than that!

I thought you were made of sterner stuff than that!

jees, this has taken on a life of its own. For the record: I stated I am LEANING towards giving up my tickets. Hadn't made up my mind yet. But I gotta be honest not much has changed in damn near a decade and its wearing on me. I'm not gonna lie. As well as the other side shiitt (ie the band) that just makes the whole experience not fun anymore. We will see when they send me my renewal in a few months.

Why not look at it as an investment, rather than Christmas shipping?

Hard to ignore the atmosphere and other crap when the game is so tough to watch.

Yeah, I expect someone in the band to pay attention to the game. Don't follow a terrible kickoff coverage and a quick, demoralizing Cincy TD with Gimme Some Lovin.' Just... put the instruments down for a second.

The family friendly section is trying to start a wave down two touchdowns. It died out a quarter of the way around the Dome. The fifth time was not the charm, aaaaand they kept trying it.

A weeks-old video showing off the Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2011 with "coaching legend Bernie Fine." Oooooops. Quite a murmur through the crowd there.

We do so many things right for basketball, but we have no feel for making a college football game seem like a college football game.

Im as down as I have ever been. but I'll be back Its in my blood. Cant help it

Why not look at it as an investment, rather than Christmas shipping?

Investment in what? I don't have faith what I am investing in though. Nothing ever changes. The product on the field hasn't improved much if any. I am seeing a coach making in-game mistakes no Div IA coach should make. The atmosphere in the stands around me has gotten much worse, I got a band blowing my eardrums out for the entire 3rd quarter of about 5 games each year. It's just not a fun time anymore. I'm just not feeling it anymore. This is supposed to be fun, nothing about these games are fun. Not when I got a 60 inch flat screen and I can watch every game in HD. And I can hook up my computer to it and watch the internet games on the TV now as well.

What I will probably do is end up buying b'ball season tickets. Which means I will be forking over MORE money to SU as they cost a lot more. They make out in the end and get more $$$ out of me. And I will have a more enjoyable time at the games.

i now hate going to the dome-

its just not a fun thing anymore-

and why should i spend money when i get no enjoyment?

even at the end of the p&d years i still walked in thinking we could win the game-

i havent had that feeling in 7 years now

at least when im home and the games on tv i can turn it off-

i now hate going to the dome-

its just not a fun thing anymore-

and why should i spend money when i get no enjoyment?

even at the end of the p&d years i still walked in thinking we could win the game-

i havent had that feeling in 7 years now

at least when im home and the games on tv i can turn it off-

If you dont enjoy it, you need a break.

I tried a break... but I love the SU game experience no matter what. We did get rid of seasons, and were back the next year.

Investment in what? I don't have faith what I am investing in though. Nothing ever changes. The product on the field hasn't improved much if any. I am seeing a coach making in-game mistakes no Div IA coach should make. The atmosphere in the stands around me has gotten much worse, I got a band blowing my eardrums out for the entire 3rd quarter of about 5 games each year. It's just not a fun time anymore. I'm just not feeling it anymore. This is supposed to be fun, nothing about these games are fun. Not when I got a 60 inch flat screen and I can watch every game in HD. And I can hook up my computer to it and watch the internet games on the TV now as well.

What I will probably do is end up buying b'ball season tickets. Which means I will be forking over MORE money to SU as they cost a lot more. They make out in the end and get more $$$ out of me. And I will have a more enjoyable time at the games.

Do you think fans at Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Flroida, Alabama, Texas or Oklahoma stop going to games when they go through a rough patch, (and all of them have). You're like George Washington's doctors, who throught the cure for a cold was to drain the blood from him to get rid of the "bad humors". If we filled the Dome for every game, we'd get top coaches and top players, even after losing streaks and bad seasons. Empty stands and no money are just a recipe for more losing.

Do you think fans at Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Flroida, Alabama, Texas or Oklahoma stop going to games when they go through a rough patch, (and all of them have). You're like George Washington's doctors, who throught the cure for a cold was to drain the blood from him to get rid of the "bad humors". If we filled the Dome for every game, we'd get top coaches and top players, even after losing streaks and bad seasons. Empty stands and no money are just a recipe for more losing.

Their rough patches don't go this long. And even in their down years more times than not they are respectable or at least but on an entertaining product. Christ, you can lose and still play an exciting brand of football. SU is bad and boring to watch.

And don't blame the empty stands on me, I have been to every game for 15 years now. I wasn't the 1st one off this sinking ship, I stuck around longer than most in this area.

Their rough patches don't go this long. And even in their down years more times than not they are respectable or at least but on an entertaining product. Christ, you can lose and still play an exciting brand of football. SU is bad and boring to watch.

And don't blame the empty stands on me, I have been to every game for 15 years now. I wasn't the 1st one off this sinking ship, I stuck around longer than most in this area.

I blame the empty stands on people who think like you. The fact that you didn't think that way until later doesn't make it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom