Class of 2016 - Being short of 85 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Being short of 85

Say we get no new recruits this year...If you take 1 of the early enrollees this year and add him to last year's numbers, that leaves us with 19 incoming recruits. That means if they have big attrition numbers plus graduates we could bring in 6 early enrollees next winter and a full 25 more...potential for 31 new recruit in 2017.

I think the substantial upgrade in our walk on talent over the past few years -Mahoney, Cam, Charles, Shanley, Hill type players - certainly mitigates the issues inherent with being under 85 by giving us emergency depth and practice bodies. And, as noted, with a small senior class (13 scholarship players by my count) having a few extra slots for this staff to work with for their first full class may prove to be wise.

One thing to keep in mind about a smaller roster size is there are fewer bodies to take reps in practice. Positive= more reps to expedite improvement. Negative= more wear and tear on the body. If we're down one or two, it shouldn't matter, but if we see 5-10 players leave before Fall camp as some have projected, it may become an issue regardless of whether those players were game day contributors.

I think the substantial upgrade in our walk on talent over the past few years -Mahoney, Cam, Charles, Shanley, Hill type players - certainly mitigates the issues inherent with being under 85 by giving us emergency depth and practice bodies. And, as noted, with a small senior class (13 scholarship players by my count) having a few extra slots for this staff to work with for their first full class may prove to be wise.

+Kleinberg - who played with Ellison at Don Bosco Prep, one of the powerhouse football programs in the Northeast.

We have walkon talent but not like the state schools or some other P5s. They can have rosters well over 100.

I think the NCAA limits walkons to 20. State schools low tuition really helps them...in fact Alabama USC and Oregonhad quite a few 3 star kids walking on.

One thing to keep in mind about a smaller roster size is there are fewer bodies to take reps in practice. Positive= more reps to expedite improvement. Negative= more wear and tear on the body. If we're down one or two, it shouldn't matter, but if we see 5-10 players leave before Fall camp as some have projected, it may become an issue regardless of whether those players were game day contributors.
Already can add 2 to that list. Check out the football board.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/qaad...missed-from-program.99665/page-2#post-1647316

We have walkon talent but not like the state schools or some other P5s. They can have rosters well over 100.

No question about that. Private school tuition certainly limits the potential walk on pool for us, but I can't recall a past season where walk-ons have played such a visibly prevalent role.

We need a few "waterboys" to walk on after that hit...able bodied not weakened by the demon weed.

No question about that. Private school tuition certainly limits the potential walk on pool for us, but I can't recall a past season where walk-ons have played such a visibly prevalent role.
They definitely did last season but I am not sure that wasn't due to lack of depth at certain positions.

Did his son sign anywhere CL?
No he didn't sign anywhere. He's looking at all D3 schools and quite honestly he would never play here. He has all the measurables just doesn't have the smarts to play qb at the college level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom