Benny Williams to return | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams to return

Playing M2M will help JT the most tbh. He was kind of in no mans land on D in the zone. Two slow/not enough ball skills to be at the top and a little too small right now to play the wings. Playing m2m and he can match up perfectly with kids his size will keep him on the court longer imo

I don't think it's a hot take.

Diversity of skill matters. Copeland does some stuff other guys just can't and don't.
Yeah, Cope has a really high ceiling, no guarantee he gets there, but he's got good basketball intelligence and he's super athletic. It's really a speed of the game thing for him, IMO. He moves a little too fast when he really doesn't need to.

Benny coming back is a big win for Red.

When Benny gets it going he is a pretty good player - but he needs to really improve his consistency.

I think some time in the weight room might help.

Benny coming back is a big win for Red.

When Benny gets it going he is a pretty good player - but he needs to really improve his consistency.

I think some time in the weight room might help.

Yes he needs to get stronger and more consistent and dialed in from the opening tip. Aggressive team style will probably help. If we play a 3 guard set then Benny has to rebound very well to stay on the court. 15 additional lbs and added strength will be required.

Cuse

I didn't say he didn't have the tools. My point was that zone was a waste of his strengths.

In either case, zone has no place in the modern game as anything other than a change of pace to buy a few minutes to get your offense back into a game.
Coach: “Ok guys, we are going to change things up for a bit and play zone.”

Player: “I’m being miscast as a zone defender!”

Lol

He has all the tools to be great and I expect a huge jump in production. No more JB at the helm I think is good for Benny. Hopefully the mental side is better. Confidence is so key in any sport, especially basketball. heck even in my beer league hockey games when I lose confidence I make stupid decisions with the puck.
Honestly the way JB has been the last few years, does anyone think he wouldn't have been able to keep players like DC, Sherm, and Rony from transferring?

I'm gonna need a cross-check on this thread for all of the Benny can go kick rocks posters after he took his mental health day earlier this year. ;)

So glad he's back. I think he will absolutely thrive next year.
Have DC come in and tell him you can make a living in the NBA by scoring inside and out, and rebounding the ball.

Fair. It was also the weakest freshmen class this year in some time. I know he has potential. 11ppg is nice. The advanced metrics are concerning.
Well we are locked in on JJ being our savior.

I’m honestly crushed at how low our standards are you read this forum and get the feeling people can’t wait to book a flight to Vegas and a room at the Orleans for the NIT finals next year.

Has Benny Williams had 1 good game where we weren’t getting blown out and he put up some stats? Over 2 years.

Regardless I just want 1 really good wing added.

Last years team plus JJ and a starting wing better than Benny and I’ll roll with that.

Just scared honestly at how low people’s expectations are.

Not playing Debbie Downer but if Jesse and Judah return you essentially have the same team as last year, with the addition of the trade of Joe for JJ.

JJ will fit better into what we will be doing next year. If you bank on JJ’s potential vs Joes production then we get a little better.

Assuming all the returnees show the normal year on year improvement then each are a little better.

We all are believing in Autry, but his coaching is a total question mark at this point. He’ll work extremely hard, relate to players and run a Better style but time will tell about managing a game, refs, coaching etc.

The schedule will also be tougher so these gains may not result in a much better season.

Of course this all changes if we land some of the transfer players being discussed.

Cuse
I think (hope) there will be renewed enthusiasm and verve for the team and a more up tempo style. Offensive possessions will not have to be perfect to achieve results. That is my hope.

Benny will have a longer leash and looser collar this upcoming season.
I hope we play uptempo and look to run as often as possible.
Coach Autry...'RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!"
zach galifianakis film GIF

That was also my initial response.

However...

JJ was an All-ACC Frosh team 1st team dude.
Along with Judah, and the requisite 3 Dook dudes.
I think he was 4th OA in votes. Judah was 2nd.

Given that he played on an epicly bad ND team, with a lame-duck coach playing out the string, and he also apparently was dealing w/ an injury - making 1st team All Frosh is pretty damn impressive.

AND...

JJ is ranked at the TOP of the Transfer Portal guys for 2023.
ON3 has him #1.
Too Fo Se7en has him #3.

It's kinda hard to believe that ALL of those people are just hardcore JJ Stans, and he actually isn't very good at basketball.
I love when you go all in on the fonts.

DC got a lot of those also, Dave Johnson was on a no fly zone.
Imagine if Benny could become a hybrid of DC and Stevie.
He would need to up the aggressiveness around and above the rim considerably though.

I know but it's the off season and I can dream.
DC was a baaad man in his youth and nobody was going to out rebound him.
He really could do it all by the time he was done here. One of the best rebounders in NCAA history, could score inside, could step out and hit a jumper, could handle the ball and pass. Highly skilled and played with an edge. Strong argument can be made for him being the best Orangeman ever. He’s gotta be top 3 at the very least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom