Benny Williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Great great news to come out of the wood works. I’m certainly willing to change my mind on Benny with this report and if he truly is day 1 ready.. which sounds like he is. We need Benny playing at a high level if we want to reach our ceiling and play to our max potential, thus really surprise some people this year. I still think it’s possible as Waters alluded to, that Jimmy gets the nod early in the season solely based off experience against those really good teams, but I also think it’s possible that Benny gets in and shows that he needs to be starting in the first few games and JB makes the switch. I think we have our best recruit in a long time right now, I just hope he stays for year 2!

"...but man, I'm hearing Benny's playing well in practice."

The way Waters says that has to get you pretty excited.
Yes, but...
Freshmen are a crapshoot. We've had some high level recruits that weren't great and some lightly recruited guys that were tremendous.

Gave this a like for correct use of the word. It's actually become a rarity to see it, and not "man" for plural. Glorious. Well done
easy.png

Great great news to come out of the wood works. I’m certainly willing to change my mind on Benny with this report and if he truly is day 1 ready.. which sounds like he is. We need Benny playing at a high level if we want to reach our ceiling and play to our max potential, thus really surprise some people this year. I still think it’s possible as Waters alluded to, that Jimmy gets the nod early in the season solely based off experience against those really good teams, but I also think it’s possible that Benny gets in and shows that he needs to be starting in the first few games and JB makes the switch. I think we have our best recruit in a long time right now, I just hope he stays for year 2!
I'm reassured by reports on the scrimmage re: both Jimmy B and Benny W.

First of all, I'm reassured to hear that Jimmy is gonna be a big contributor to this team's success, that he's ready right now to start making plays for the team.

At the same time, while I didn't hear anything about Benny being a scoring dynamo in the scrimmage, it was reported that he was earnest in going after offensive rebounds, that he "seemed to know where to be."

While I do expect him to become a major offensive weapon eventually, he really doesn't need to do that early on for him to have a crucial impact on games. My early impression is that he's willing to let his scoring opportunities "come to him" in due course.

No pressure.

We also heard he was making an effort to pass the ball into the paint, reflecting his 'point guard' instincts on distributing the ball.

Indeed, if he's content early on to just get rebounds and assists and exploit his "4th option" scoring opportunities when they come, he could end up filling up the stat sheet on a regular basis right out of the gate, even if coming off the bench.

Boeheim has been consistently talking about Benny as a 2-yr guy & I see no indications that Benny has any problem with that plan, whatsoever. He knows he's gonna be in the spotlight next year, so he's not worried about it...

What I don't know is when Cole comes out of the game, who is going to play the power forward position? Jimmy or Benny?

I'm reassured by reports on the scrimmage re: both Jimmy B and Benny W.

First of all, I'm reassured to hear that Jimmy is gonna be a big contributor to this team's success, that he's ready right now to start making plays for the team.

At the same time, while I didn't hear anything about Benny being a scoring dynamo in the scrimmage, it was reported that he was earnest in going after offensive rebounds, that he "seemed to know where to be."

While I do expect him to become a major offensive weapon eventually, he really doesn't need to do that early on for him to have a crucial impact on games. My early impression is that he's willing to let his scoring opportunities "come to him" in due course.

No pressure.

We also heard he was making an effort to pass the ball into the paint, reflecting his 'point guard' instincts on distributing the ball.

Indeed, if he's content early on to just get rebounds and assists and exploit his "4th option" scoring opportunities when they come, he could end up filling up the stat sheet on a regular basis right out of the gate, even if coming off the bench.

Boeheim has been consistently talking about Benny as a 2-yr guy & I see no indications that Benny has any problem with that plan, whatsoever. He knows he's gonna be in the spotlight next year, so he's not worried about it...

What I don't know is when Cole comes out of the game, who is going to play the power forward position? Jimmy or Benny?
Honestly since it doesn’t always matter who’s the 3 or 4 in our scheme and because I see our three main forwards so interchangeably in the lineup, it shouldn’t matter who’s technically the 3 or 4.. but if I had to say I would think Benny is the 3, Cole/Jimmy at the 4 and then Cole at the 3 when him and Jimmy are out together. Just because Cole should be spending more time on the perimeter, where as I see Jimmy banging inside and playing on the high post more often than not.

I’m so excited to see how things are going to look in our first exhibition, just a few more days!!!

Honestly since it doesn’t always matter who’s the 3 or 4 in our scheme and because I see our three main forwards so interchangeably in the lineup, it shouldn’t matter who’s technically the 3 or 4..
It doesn't matter at all who is the 3 or 4 in JB's system at either end. One of the benefits of playing 100% zone - you don't have to worry about match ups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom