Benny Williams | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Benny’s post says everything. Comes from his heart, IMO.

Looking at his post – he knows himself, he’s saying he’s not anywhere near the transfer portal, doesn’t put credence into the rumors and negative opinions expressed and is letting people know that so they can stop the opinions, doesn’t care how the teams season goes, he’s here because he wants to be and the coaches want him to be and trusts that he will be matriculated at SU in a positive way.

He is not the first top player to not get that much playing time. I have been watching since ’62 and there have been many great players who JB has pulled for a mistake to talk to over the years.

JB noted in a post from the PS when we were still in the Big East here that he believes that most players coming out of high school are not ready to contribute. They need to learn how we play. So, unless you are a Carmelo Anthony, Pearl Washington, Dave Bing, Roosevelt Bouie, or an elite player like the aforementioned you will be seeing limited playing time.

An example: Louie Orr was a star player from Cincinnati, Ohio who was the first recruit of new head coach Jim Boeheim. A tall splinter of a player, Orr would combine with Roosevelt Bouie to form the Bouie 'N Louie show at Syracuse, an outstanding four year record of 100-18. Games started as freshman – 0.
Orr started two games as a freshman, regardless he was the 6th man and played a ton.

I said this a couple weeks ago why do we always have the only highly rated recruits that for some reason get on the floor and look like a deer in headlights. This has to be coaching and development at this point. It’s seems like the same thing year after year. JB seems like the only coach who can’t get a top 30 recruit to be game ready.
I guess that’s true if you ignore players like Flynn, green, Malachi, Ennis, fab, etc. but yeah they’re never ready.

I guess that’s true if you ignore players like Flynn, green, Malachi, Ennis, fab, etc. but yeah they’re never ready.
Jonny Flynn and Donte Greene were recruited nearly 15 years ago. I know it can seem like yesterday for those older than 25, but its been a bit and it's not "recent."

Boeheim was also only 62 then.

Also Fab barely played his freshman year. Ennis was recruited 8 years ago, and Malachi was 6 years ago.

Jonny Flynn and Donte Greene were recruited nearly 15 years ago. I know it can seem like yesterday for those older than 25, but its been a bit and it's not "recent."

Boeheim was also only 62 then.
They were also the most recent top 50 players… was your post not claiming an even more extreme that top 30 players in this program are “never ready”

Benny is a 5 star recruit, he needs to get his head out of the clouds and bear down hard.

Head out of the clouds?? Wow. I didn't realize we had colonized Mars yet.

They were also the most recent top 50 players… was your post not claiming an even more extreme that top 30 players in this program are “never ready”
Wasn't my post. But anyone who thinks that what happened in 10-15 years ago covers over issues with the program over the last 5 years or so isn't looking at this objectively.

Wasn't my post. But anyone who thinks that what happened in 10-15 years ago covers over issues with the program over the last 5 years or so isn't looking at this objectively.
How much more objectively can I look at it, if you take all 1 of the top 30 recruits that stepped on campus in the last 5 years then yes, syracuse hasn’t developed them. But if you look back to when syracuse was consistently bringing in top 30 guys they were all successful in their freshman years. Not sure what anyone could be arguing here.

Musk is already living there, starlink phone will work on Mars.

Give you credit for the wit. As for Benny, in the court of public perception that you and most of this board has access to, he has been one of the most humble high rated SU frosh we have had.

Give you credit for the wit. As for Benny, in the court of public perception that you and most of this board has access to, he has been one of the most humble high rated SU frosh we have had.
I think the world of him, but after being in the program for some time now, he needs to get it going. The roster was made with him in mind.

In more recent times, Benny and Jalen Carey….

The roster was made with two other guys in mind. I believe Benny would be playing much better had he been handled differently.
The fans should hold him as accountable as he holds himself.

Orr started two games as a freshman, regardless he was the 6th man and played a ton.
YOU ARE CORRECT! my bad. Two games isn't a lot but he did play. orangehoops.org my source for everything SU basketball does not have minutes played so I cannot post them obviously. A ton I don't know but he was a starter as a soph a great free throw shooter and the other half of the Louie and Bouie show.

Why wouldn't he deflect this question?

Was this part of the post-game presser??

If so, it's been edited out of the presser video that was posted by the athletic department...

[UPDATE] Nevermind, it was part of the ACC weekly coaches' conference call... Jim Boeheim discusses Williams, Torrence, Swider at weekly ACC conference call

Also, on the plus side and based on his positive, repeated comments on Torrence, he seems to have finally come to the realization that Symir needs to be the point guard when Joe can't get the ball up the court against faster players... that means Symir should get a bunch more playing time going forward.

Last edited:

If so, it's been edited out of the presser video that was posted by the athletic department...

[UPDATE] Nevermind, it was part of the ACC wekkely coaches' conference call... Jim Boeheim discusses Williams, Torrence, Swider at weekly ACC conference call

Also, on the plus side and based on his positive, repeated comments on Torrence, he seems to have finally come to the realization that Symir needs to be the point guard when Joe can't get the ball up the court against faster players... that means Symir should get a bunch more playing time going forward.
Oh good, he’s figured that out.

[UPDATE] Nevermind, it was part of the ACC wekkely coaches' conference call... Jim Boeheim discusses Williams, Torrence, Swider at weekly ACC conference call

The whole quote about the starters is even wilder than the snippet on twitter
————————-
But when asked whether there were other scenarios that Boeheim would turn to Torrence, Boeheim’s response was more bleak.

“He’s struggling to score. He’s shooting it poorly from the free throw line, from the field, from the 3,” Boeheim said. “We’d like to see him help us, but we’ve been limited to our starters because they’ve been getting the job done and the guys on the bench haven’t played very well.”
—————————
8-9. Getting the job done.

Last edited:
————————-
But when asked whether there were other scenarios that Boeheim would turn to Torrence, Boeheim’s response was more bleak.

“He’s struggling to score. He’s shooting it poorly from the free throw line, from the field, from the 3,” Boeheim said. “We’d like to see him help us, but we’ve been limited to our starters because they’ve been getting the job done and the guys on the bench haven’t played very well.”
—————————

What job is he referring to? He should of benched his son Jimmy a long time ago it is as clear as day. Williams needs to work through the challenges and be taught how to become better...not sure Boeheim has the patience to do that, but I know assistant coaches are.

————————-

—————————
Would JB rather have MCW or Buddy?

Buddy can shoot better.

Would JB actually play Mookie Jones now? I remember when Mookie couldn’t play in games because he couldn’t play defense but the kid could shoot.

What job is he referring to? He should of benched his son Jimmy a long time ago it is as clear as day. Williams needs to work through the challenges and be taught how to become better...not sure Boeheim has the patience to do that, but I know assistant coaches are.
Fwiw, I’m not suggesting benching Jimmy or that we would be winning if the bench played

I am suggesting the starters are most definitely not “getting it done” and that any suggestion if we played the bench more would result in a loss..kind of falls flat seeing that we are losing anyway...because as far as I know you don’t get more losses if you lose by more points. A loss is a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom