Benny...... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Benny......

I literally said in my post JB used as motivation.

im “caught up on JB saying it” not because JB said it but some people here take JBs words as gospel making it difficult to debate when the argument is “he’s better in practice, you don’t know”
Who cares?

I just think Benny isn’t a great fit for the system we run. If JB is going to return next year it would benefit both parties if he utilized his option and hit the portal. His skill set might be better utilized in a different system.
He could be if he played the right way.

He could be if he played the right way.

Maybe he is just unable to play the “right” way for Syracuse. I think Benny needs to be in a more wide open game to be successful I don’t think our style is a good fit for his skill set no harm in that but both parties need to realize that and stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and move on from each other.

Maybe he is just unable to play the “right” way for Syracuse. I think Benny needs to be in a more wide open game to be successful I don’t think our style is a good fit for his skill set no harm in that but both parties need to realize that and stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and move on from each other.

Benny needs to be a scorer and shooter when Girard is out and Brown is at the 4 and at times a square in a round hole, agreed. It's a tough to score lineup then but vs a man to man we'd think it wouldn't be such a struggle but too many defensive players are in the paint when that lineup is on the floor thus hurting Mintz as well..

I literally said in my post JB used as motivation.

im “caught up on JB saying it” not because JB said it but some people here take JBs words as gospel making it difficult to debate when the argument is “he’s better in practice, you don’t know”
I get that. I was trying to further your point rather than refute it. Probably wasn’t clear about that. It just cracks me up because people hate when he’s too honest but then he says something about practice to try and give Benny some rope and people are furious about that too.

I just think Benny isn’t a great fit for the system we run. If JB is going to return next year it would benefit both parties if he utilized his option and hit the portal. His skill set might be better utilized in a different system.
Maybe, but he is a good enough fit so that he has shown JB what JB wants to see in practice. I think that JB's frustration comes from knowing that Benny CAN do what he is supposed to, but all too often DOESN'T do it in games.

We have said the same thing about other forwards "being a better fit for another system": Bras left, dropped down a level, and never did set the world on fire. Newton still isn't a starter and doesn't do much when he gets off the bench. Guerrier was a starter for a long time, never improved from his days at SU, and yesterday lost his starting job (not injury related). He did come off the bench in a big win, got good minutes, but scored only 2 points. Sometimes it isn't the system, it's the player.

So, the grass isn't always greener and if a guy has shown the coach that he has the skills to start but doesn't utilize those skills in the game, the solution is actually up to Benny. No more complicated than that.

That said, despite the fixing JB's collar and patting him on the back the first time he was taken out, Benny's demeanor on the bench in the second half was very, very poor. You act engaged and cheer for your teammates. You don't pout. If you have a problem with your own situation, you don't take it out on the guys who stand up and cheer for YOU when you are in the game. Heck, Frank Anselem (another guy who isn't doing much at his new school) was as big a bench cheerleader as we have ever had last year. Benny is an emotional kid on the court at times, and he is letting those emotions impact him too much on the bench as well.

Last edited:
Maybe, but he is a good enough fit so that he has shown JB what JB wants to see in practice. I think that JB's frustration comes from knowing that Benny CAN do what he is supposed to, but all too often DOESN'T do it in games.

We have said the same thing about other forwards "being a better fit for another system": Bras left, dropped down a level, and never did set the world on fire. Newton still isn't a starter and doesn't do much when he gets off the bench. Guerrier was a starter for a long time, never improved from his days at SU, and yesterday lost his starting job (not injury related). He did come off the bench in a big win, got good minutes, but scored only 2 points. Sometimes it isn't the system, it's the player.

So, the grass isn't always greener and if a guy has shown the coach that he has the skills to start but doesn't utilize those skills in the game, the solution is actually up to the Benny. No more complicated than that.

That said, despite the fixing JB's collar and patting him on the back the first time he was taken out, Benny's demeanor on the bench in the second half was very, very poor. You act engaged and cheer for your teammates. You don't pout. If you have a problem with your own situation, you don't take it out on the guys who stand up and cheer for YOU when you are in the game. Heck, Frank Anselem (another guy who isn't doing much at his new school) was as big a bench cheerleader as we have ever had last year. Benny is an emotional kid on the court at times, and he is letting those emotions impact him too much on the bench as well.

Last night , albeit against a bad defensive team, feels like a turning point. This team has 3 other forwards busting through the door production wise, all of them warranting the opportunity to have sets run with them as at least a secondary option. That in a point of the season where if those guys produce the wins can keep stacking and this year's outcome retains hope.

Benny has to get on board next game. We can't have a player too focused on himself right now. Everyone else is now playing for their teammates and trusting their teammates while cheering them on too.

To be honest and I defend Benny a lot. I’m not sure we can really defend Benny when he is jogging and hanging around the three point line. He’s not a good enough three point shooter. This has QG written all over it. I like Benny but when he is pouting on the bench it’s very noticeable…Brown understands what he needs to do in that position and Brown probably realizes eventually he will develop to take shots from the outside. Idk why but this has been what Boeheim expects from forwards for the past 40 something years. Benny needs to be a team player and figure this out because we have all these games coming up which will determine our fate soon.

Benny is the physically the exact type that always shines at Syracuse. If it's not working here I don't know where it will work. Honestly it's not about offense. His offense is progressing and it's good enough. The problem is when his side of the zone is overloaded it takes him too long to process who he should guard and he often ends up in no-mans land guarding nobody. In addition sometimes he just doesn't put in enough effort on the boards or like last night where he didn't run back on D two times in a row and gave up 4 easy transision points. That will get you benched at any college in the country.

I still think they need Benny to give some kind of consistent effort if they are going to become a good team. I absolutely love Bell's offensive game, if he could play 35 min every night he'd be averaging 15ppg right now. But Bell just isn't strong enough yet. Bigger stronger guys really push him around bad. Notre Dame is a pretty small team and more finesse so Bell could play the whole game, but he's not going to be able to play big minutes against teams like North Carolina and Duke. We are going to need both Brown and Williams in those kinds of games.

I absolutely love Bell's offensive game, if he could play 35 min every night he'd be averaging 15ppg right now. But Bell just isn't strong enough yet. Bigger stronger guys really push him around bad. Notre Dame is a pretty small team and more finesse so Bell could play the whole game, but he's not going to be able to play big minutes against teams like North Carolina and Duke. We are going to need both Brown and Williams in those kinds of games.
Nice seeing Bell do his thing by going 5/8 on 3's.
Agree Bell needs to get stronger-
Also needs to start putting numbers in other stat columns and improve D if he wants 34" every game.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a practice and JB isn’t wrong about Benny - his shot is much better (higher arc with smooth shot vs flat and stiff in games) and he jumps through the roof in drills etc which is hard not to like - he absolutely shows a different level of athleticism vs anyone else. He does get yelled at for not being in good defensive position which is the same as games.

Brown is same quiet demeanor (same with JT) where they get things done but nearly as flashy and exciting! Copeland is two hours of crazy energy and could easily see how he could come across as having great practices.

We all know the issue with Benny - his highlight reel athleticism and decent shooting and passing in practice isn’t translating to games - yet.

If he said Hima was better than Jesse in practice...like what’s the line you would believe based on what you see in the games...
I would certainly be skeptical, but haven’t heard him say that. Specific to this conversation I have seen Benny do things in games that Maliq hasn’t shown. He is a much better perimeter and three point shooter. I have also seen him excel at the attributes Maliq brings, specifically rebounding. So I can accept that he has been the best forward in practice. I can also accept that unless he consistently contributes in the parts of the game that we demand from a 4 when the lights go on, he has been passed in the rotation.

I don’t take everything JB says as gospel. But I accept that we don’t know what goes on in practice. I also think the comment about Benny in practice is a statement of frustration, not some justification or deliberate prevarication. Don’t get the diatribe to spin it otherwise

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a practice and JB isn’t wrong about Benny - his shot is much better (higher arc with smooth shot vs flat and stiff in games) and he jumps through the roof in drills etc which is hard not to like - he absolutely shows a different level of athleticism vs anyone else. He does get yelled at for not being in good defensive position which is the same as games.

Brown is same quiet demeanor (same with JT) where they get things done but nearly as flashy and exciting! Copeland is two hours of crazy energy and could easily see how he could come across as having great practices.

We all know the issue with Benny - his highlight reel athleticism and decent shooting and passing in practice isn’t translating to games - yet.
THX for your behind-the-scenes on practice-
Brown may not be flashy, but I find watching him play VERY exciting!

Maybe the Duke and BC games were just flukes.

Yeah, I mean - we’ve seen guys like Jalen Carey & Matt Moyer have 1-2 really good games, and then that be the extent of their impact.

One of the biggest reasons Maliq is so effective and efficient, is that he knows he’s a 4, so he positions himself and plays like a 4.
So many of his boards & points were on putbacks, because he was in the paint.
Ditto for the dimes that get dropped to him.

Benny is like Robey (unplugged) or Quincy in that he wants to showcase his perimeter skills (which are meh, at best) instead of doing the dirty work that his PF position requires for the TEAM to be successful.

When guys like Robey (plugged in) and QG did what JAB asked them to, they were remarkably effective.

Brown doesn’t need to be asked.
That’s his game, and he knows his role.

Benny is a big physical athlete at this point, he should back guys down instead of shooting the 10 footer and then board with Jesse on misses.

To be honest and I defend Benny a lot. I’m not sure we can really defend Benny when he is jogging and hanging around the three point line. He’s not a good enough three point shooter. This has QG written all over it. I like Benny but when he is pouting on the bench it’s very noticeable…Brown understands what he needs to do in that position and Brown probably realizes eventually he will develop to take shots from the outside. Idk why but this has been what Boeheim expects from forwards for the past 40 something years. Benny needs to be a team player and figure this out because we have all these games coming up which will determine our fate soon.

Agree.

In my opinion, I think one can draw similar parallels to Guerrier and Williams. Both came in as very highly heralded recruits (unlike Brown), along with the thinking they'd be one or two and dones at the time. Both probably see themselves as threes at the next level, albeit, clearly lacking the skill set to be that even at the college level, at least consistently.

Benny, based upon what many have commented here relative to his behavior last night, etc., seemingly isn't a team player, at least not unless he's actually contributing/producing in some significant way on the court, placing himself above all else.

Since Q left so he could free lance more, shoot 3's, etc. (bettering/chasing his NBA dreams/aspirations) hanging out on the wing, and not being that old school type 4 in JB's system as desired, I think the same fate is in the cards here for Benny.

Yeah, I mean - we’ve seen guys like Jalen Carey & Matt Moyer have 1-2 really good games, and then that be the extent of their impact.

One of the biggest reasons Maliq is so effective and efficient, is that he knows he’s a 4, so he positions himself and plays like a 4.
So many of his boards & points were on putbacks, because he was in the paint.
Ditto for the dimes that get dropped to him.

Benny is like Robey (unplugged) or Quincy in that he wants to showcase his perimeter skills (which are meh, at best) instead of doing the dirty work that his PF position requires for the TEAM to be successful.

When guys like Robey (plugged in) and QG did what JAB asked them to, they were remarkably effective.

Brown doesn’t need to be asked.
That’s his game, and he knows his role.
I think the Quincy comparison is legit ..... Bennie's skillset and team needs say in the paint but Bennie wants to be more of a wing player. Looking at some of Oregon's games and Quincy was a much better player here

I know this is a hot take, but I want Benny to continue to start. We all saw his talent in the BC game. He can be a game-changer. His skill sets are the opposite of what brown brings to the table. Benny is starting to find range. I like what Jim is doing now; see if Benny has it. If not, ride the hot hand of brown.

Benny is a big physical athlete at this point, he should back guys down instead of shooting the 10 footer and then board with Jesse on misses.
But he’s really not. He’s not that big and he’s not physical either. After meeting him at a football tailgate he appeared shorter and lighter than listed.

Good info. I remember Igor telling me that Stevie Thompson could hit 15-20 consecutive FTs in practice with excellent form….but could never replicate his practice routine in games.

For all if us golfers, it’s the difference between the range….and the course.

I know this is a hot take, but I want Benny to continue to start. We all saw his talent in the BC game. He can be a game-changer. His skill sets are the opposite of what brown brings to the table. Benny is starting to find range. I like what Jim is doing now; see if Benny has it. If not, ride the hot hand of brown.
Ive said the same all along….but the meltdowns in back to back games is starting to sway me. If he’s going to be a distraction, then I might change my mind. He’s going to be mentally lost either way it appears- and that’s the only reason to start him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom