Benny...... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Benny......

Good info. I remember Igor telling me that Stevie Thompson could hit 15-20 consecutive FTs in practice with excellent form….but could never replicate his practice routine in games.

For all if us golfers, it’s the difference between the range….and the course.

Stage fright!

I can relate. I'm a Grammy level singer in the shower, however, in front of folks, I retreat to practically cringe worthy level. ;):)

Good info. I remember Igor telling me that Stevie Thompson could hit 15-20 consecutive FTs in practice with excellent form….but could never replicate his practice routine in games.

For all if us golfers, it’s the difference between the range….and the course.
You can see why the coaches think they have the next Wes or Jeremi or Hakim but as you have said before Bennys hands are just not strong so he fumbles a lot of balls and his head is in a different universe so often - adult friends swear that adoral is a game changer for them as far as focus - I’m no Dr but there has to be something to get Benny back into our world

You can see why the coaches think they have the next Wes or Jeremi or Hakim but as you have said before Bennys hands are just not strong so he fumbles a lot of balls and his head is in a different universe so often - adult friends swear that adoral is a game changer for them as far as focus - I’m no Dr but there has to be something to get Benny back into our world

Can't imagine that would be legal to have a player taking an amphetamine

Ive said the same all along….but the meltdowns in back to back games is starting to sway me. If he’s going to be a distraction, then I might change my mind. He’s going to be mentally lost either way it appears- and that’s the only reason to start him.
That and they need to make sure he doesn't rip all the shirts.

Adderall ..

Benny's demeanor is concerning to me also. Last year, I really admired him because even through the frustrating, he kept saying the right things to the media after the game.

I'm sure it's frustrating, but there's a way to handle the frustration and a way not to handle it. Quite frankly, JB would be crazy not to give Maliq heavy minutes now and I think to offset Maliq's lack of outside game, Taylor or Bell are better fits to play alongside him.

It'll be interesting how it plays out, but I wish I could say I was more optimistic. But weirder things have happened - heck Otis Hill and LeRon Ellis left the bench in the middle of games and they both stayed.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a practice and JB isn’t wrong about Benny - his shot is much better (higher arc with smooth shot vs flat and stiff in games) and he jumps through the roof in drills etc which is hard not to like - he absolutely shows a different level of athleticism vs anyone else. He does get yelled at for not being in good defensive position which is the same as games.

Brown is same quiet demeanor (same with JT) where they get things done but nearly as flashy and exciting! Copeland is two hours of crazy energy and could easily see how he could come across as having great practices.

We all know the issue with Benny - his highlight reel athleticism and decent shooting and passing in practice isn’t translating to games - yet.

Thanks for sharing this first hand practice perspective. When I lived in syracuse, I used to love going to practice to watch our players day after day, and get a true gauge of their capabilities.

This situation with Benny is difficult. He was a five-star recruit, but couldn't get off the bench last year and was a negligible contributor, perhaps outside of the Duke game. For a five star, that's a complete bust of a year.

And there are several issues with his game and play. First of all, he's a tweener forward. He's got the height to play power forward, but he's too slender and doesn't have the requisite physicality. But by the same token, he lacks the ball handling, driving, and perimeter capabilities required to be a three in our system. The net results is a gangly, skinny player not suited to do the dirty work inside, who gets pushed around because of his lack of bulk, and if they can't get shots consistently.

I think JB 100% did the right thing by starting him. The objective was to let him play through mistakes, have some success, and gain confidence. Intermittently, he's produced. But as many others have pointed out in this thread, he's wildly inconsistent. And at the high major college level, that doesn't get it done.

Juxtapose that with Brown, who steadily produces, has a terrific feel for the game, and appears to be a plus rebounder. At some point, you have to just go with the guy who plays better, and the high school rating doesn't matter anymore.

My fear all along has been at Danny has million dollar athleticism (as you describe) but a 10 cent feel for the game that will inhibit him from ever actualizing anywhere close to his full potential.

Would love to be wrong, would love to see him power through the setbacks and continue to improve over the course of his career, but I'm afraid that this is turning into the beginning of an implosion.

My fear all along has been at Danny has million dollar athleticism (as you describe) but a 10 cent feel for the game that will inhibit him from ever actualizing anywhere close to his full potential.
Danny?

But he’s really not. He’s not that big and he’s not physical either. After meeting him at a football tailgate he appeared shorter and lighter than listed.
He looks big during games versus other guys on the floor. He is a very explosive athlete and if he could get deep in the paint, he could dunk over a lot of guys and draw fouls and rebound with Jesse/Mo. This would get him some plays where he could be effective and get him going in the game.

Yeah, I mean - we’ve seen guys like Jalen Carey & Matt Moyer have 1-2 really good games, and then that be the extent of their impact.

One of the biggest reasons Maliq is so effective and efficient, is that he knows he’s a 4, so he positions himself and plays like a 4.
So many of his boards & points were on putbacks, because he was in the paint.
Ditto for the dimes that get dropped to him.

Benny is like Robey (unplugged) or Quincy in that he wants to showcase his perimeter skills (which are meh, at best) instead of doing the dirty work that his PF position requires for the TEAM to be successful.

When guys like Robey (plugged in) and QG did what JAB asked them to, they were remarkably effective.

Brown doesn’t need to be asked.
That’s his game, and he knows his role.
DC pretty much played inside, and rebounded at Syracuse, because that is what JB said the team needed from him.
When he got to the NBA he showed he had all the skills to play at that level.

I just think Benny isn’t a great fit for the system we run. If JB is going to return next year it would benefit both parties if he utilized his option and hit the portal. His skill set might be better utilized in a different system.
Not disagreeing but what system would suit him?
He can't shoot, dribble, or want to work in the paint? His skill level doesn't translate to college

Not disagreeing but what system would suit him?
He can't shoot, dribble, or want to work in the paint? His skill level doesn't translate to college
Lower level D1 where he’s stronger and bigger than the opponents he’s playing

To be honest and I defend Benny a lot. I’m not sure we can really defend Benny when he is jogging and hanging around the three point line. He’s not a good enough three point shooter. This has QG written all over it. I like Benny but when he is pouting on the bench it’s very noticeable…Brown understands what he needs to do in that position and Brown probably realizes eventually he will develop to take shots from the outside. Idk why but this has been what Boeheim expects from forwards for the past 40 something years. Benny needs to be a team player and figure this out because we have all these games coming up which will determine our fate soon.
I agree that Benny should not hang around the 3pt line, but it should be noted that he is making 40% of his 3pt attempts.

vs ND he had 5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist in 11 minutes

per 40 - 18pts, 10.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists

All he needs to do is keep doing what he's doing.

I think Brown and Benny could play well together but JB thinks he needs one forward to be a shooter.

benny probably realizes its either him or mailq in the game and thats where the melt downs are coming from...he is good enough to play at this level.

Benny is a big physical athlete at this point, he should back guys down instead of shooting the 10 footer and then board with Jesse on misses.
He doesn't have a post up game and he doesn't play physical

Maybe Coach should try Benny as the 1st guy off the bench. Perhaps seeing the game for several minutes before stepping in will help and take some pressure off. It shouldn't matter if he starts but how many minutes played.

If he continues to get opportunities and doesn't improve by season's end, Benny should definitely transfer. A fresh start with a program tailored to his style of play (whatever that is) might be what he needs. It should also be a team where there isn't great expectations or where he will need to be the top 1 or 2 guy.

When he got to the NBA he showed he had all the skills to play at that level.

DC was the #1 Overall Pick correct. NBA knew what they were getting. A great player.

He was the reason noone pressed us as he could bring the ball up against anyone guarding him. He had the inside moves of Kevin McHale and the toughness of Rick Mahorn. Its not when he got into the NBA, we saw for for years his talent level at Syracuse. The fact that he did not get the Big East player of the year still befudles me. Went to that no talent GTown guard who went undrafted.

Lets be carefull in comparing Bennie to Coleman. We can hope he emulates Coleman. But there is only one Derrik. LOL

Bennie will come around. Many post were all over Bell and one good game and he is untouchable?. Bennie will come around and do well for us if he can maintain his composure. He reminds of a teenager still coming to grips of having someone telling him what to do. It seems like he is being stubborn. If he focuses on defence and rebounding, the rest of the game could come to him and he would do well. I'm viewing his progress like our 401K/IRA, if we look at it daily (each game) it would drive us mad. Lets see by end of January where this goes. No need to judge.

Also, teams will adjust to Brown and we will see if he can be successfull in adjusting his game when teams are geared for him. I hope he does and I hope Benny contributes for us this year.

Go CUSE

1673816343273.png

I think Benny is the opposite of hulk. When he is relaxed, calm and collected during practices he does great, when he is all tensed up during games, vein popping and shirt bursting he is a mess. JB needs to stop motivating him before games and sing lullabies to him instead.

Disagree.
It's not a quick hook in the literal sense. Benny has gotten every opportunity to win the job, and he just...hasn't. I've been down on jb for his rotations but he's been more than fair w/Benny. And now even the frosh are starting to lap him.
Something has been "off" w/ Benny's game from the beginning. He's had flashes, but that's all...just flashes. Maliq has a feel for the game that jumps off the screen, while w/ Benny you never get the sense he's in rhythm or control. That's just facts.
Benny is the kid with the golden arm who is wild. When he does it right, he’s on the plate, throwing strikes, but that only happens once is a while. Must be maddening for a coach, and equally bewildering for the player.

Listen his relationship with JB is awful. They are at odds all the time. I’m surprised he’s here this year. I do not expect him on the team next year if JB is the coach
How is it JB’s fault that Maliq is playing more consistently right now? Results matter. And Benny should understand that coach has to play the guys who are producing and doing the things he asks of them. He’ll get more opportunities this season and his time will come. JB is hard on him because his potential is sky high. Yes, I wish JB would mix in more positive encouragement with guys like Benny who really need it, but that’s just not the way he operates.

Last edited:
Benny refused to enter the huddle a couple of times. Literally just stood outside and hung his head. This type of behavior is so frustrating
This is where Hop made all the difference. I love Autry and Griff but it feels Iike they’re resigned to the situation. Hop never gave up on pulling a kid back from the brink, and he had the force of personality to make it work.

This is where Hop made all the difference. I love Autry and Griff but it feels Iike they’re resigned to the situation. Hop never gave up on pulling a kid back from the brink, and he had the force of personality to make it work.
Hop has been an average coach at Washington but I still root for him to be our next coach. I believe his experience will help him be better than average at SU along with his excitement and passion for Orange. He developed deep and trusting relationships with high school and AAU coaches on the East Coast and should be able to bring some kids from the west coast.

He's a great motivator and would find a way to get Benny going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom