Best public golf courses in NYS | Syracusefan.com

Best public golf courses in NYS

I've only played 5 out of 20 and 2 out of 5 in Vermont so I have some work to do.

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/best-public-golf-courses-new-york-2012
Interesting list. I have played 9 of these, soon will play Bethpage Black to get 10, might hit Grossingers on the way back on that trip to get to 11.

I am not a big fan of Ravenwood. The last time I played there, I had to wait more than 30 minutes past my tee time to tee off, the last time I went there I waited 90 minutes past my tee time before I gave up and left. Not a very interesting layout either.

Would add Inlet to the list, along with En-Joie. Shenendoah is too high, Kaluyat is too low. Would move Greystone up a few slots as well.

Interesting list. I have played 9 of these, soon will play Bethpage Black to get 10, might hit Grossingers on the way back on that trip to get to 11.

I am not a big fan of Ravenwood. The last time I played there, I had to wait more than 30 minutes past my tee time to tee off, the last time I went there I waited 90 minutes past my tee time before I gave up and left. Not a very interesting layout either.

Would add Inlet to the list, along with En-Joie. Shenendoah is too high, Kaluyat is too low. Would move Greystone up a few slots as well.
Mill creek is better than Ravenwood i think. Greystone is too. Ravenwood helps my index though, the slope and rating are way too high

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mill creek is better than Ravenwood i think. Greystone is too. Ravenwood helps my index though, the slope and rating are way too high

Agree. Mill Creek is, I think, just outside the top 20...very nice course with a number of memorable holes. Wish they didn't turn #10 into a par 3. I hope that is a temporary change.

Agree. Mill Creek is, I think, just outside the top 20...very nice course with a number of memorable holes. Wish they didn't turn #10 into a par 3. I hope that is a temporary change.
I didn't know that. Goes to show how little I'm playing. Hoping that the one year old gets into golf so i can justify a membership somewhere and make up for lost time

Ive played 19 of the ones in NYS and only have not played Pound ridge. Here is my opinion on this list...

Bethpage Red should be in the top 7. GREAT track and the state mid am in being held there next year. Ravenwood at 5? Good lord. I wouldnt even put that in my top 20. Seven Oaks should be higher and Shenendoah should be lower. Kaluhyat is just a stupid layout and I dont see how anyone can have an enjoyable round there. Conklin is nice and condition well but the greens are way too slow there for that good of a layout.

1. Bethpage (Black), Farmingdale
2. Atunyote at Turning Stone, Verona
3. Shenendoah at Turning Stone, Verona
4. Leatherstocking, Cooperstown
5. Ravenwood, Victor
6. Pound Ridge, Pound Ridge
7. Hiawatha Landing, Apalachin
8. Saratoga National, Saratoga Springs
9. Montauk Downs, Montauk
10. The Sagamore, Bolton Landing
11. Seneca Hickory Stick, Lewiston
12. Kaluhyat at Turning Stone, Verona
13. Conklin Players Club, Conklin
14. Long Island National, Riverhead
15. Seven Oaks at Colgate, Hamilton
16. Greystone, Walworth
17. Bethpage (Red), Farmingdale
18. Timber Banks, Baldwinsville
19. Grossinger, Liberty
20. Mansion Ridge, Mansion Ridge, Monroe

Kaluhyat is just a stupid layout and I dont see how anyone can have an enjoyable round there.

The pros played Monday qualifier's there, they don't like the course but do say it is tougher than Atunyote.

I've only played 5 out of 20 and 2 out of 5 in Vermont so I have some work to do.

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/best-public-golf-courses-new-york-2012
I have played nine of those. My favorite is Conklin because an average guy can score well on that course and the elevation changes are wonderful. They do a great job of landscaping too. Tom and I played in a tournament there against some Ped State whack-a-loons. That was the day Iowa beat the abusers who were positioned to be ranked #1 with a win.

Ravenwood has no business being on that list, they must have paid someone off. I would have En Joie on there instead. What's the last PGA tour event Ravenwood hosted?

The pros played Monday qualifier's there, they don't like the course but do say it is tougher than Atunyote.

Atunyote is very playable I think. I have had the pleasure of playing it 5 times and even from the tips I was able to break 80 twice. Not overly difficult and it pretty much is right in front of you. Kaluhyat is just a stupid layout and not fun to play.

En Joie is a nice track as well and should probably be on the list. Ravenwood should not. I agree. Conklin is very nice but there are too many goofy holes out there and the greens are too slow.

I've only played #1 - once. I guess no need to play the rest since it would only get worse.

I'm going to be out in Rochester and I see that Eagle Vale has some pretty good fall specials. Is that course any good?

Atunyote is very playable I think. I have had the pleasure of playing it 5 times and even from the tips I was able to break 80 twice. Not overly difficult and it pretty much is right in front of you. Kaluhyat is just a stupid layout and not fun to play.

This is about as perfect as you can describe these courses in relation to each other. The experience at Atunyote is just awesome, from the practice facilities to the bottles of Fiji on ice (which conveniently keeps the beers I bring cold as well), to the pristine course. One of my favorite things is probably that there are more workers on the course than there are golfers at any given time so you can play at whatever pace you want.

This is about as perfect as you can describe these courses in relation to each other. The experience at Atunyote is just awesome, from the practice facilities to the bottles of Fiji on ice (which conveniently keeps the beers I bring cold as well), to the pristine course. One of my favorite things is probably that there are more workers on the course than there are golfers at any given time so you can play at whatever pace you want.

No doubt about the # of workers comment. Pretty funny!

Atunyote is very playable I think. I have had the pleasure of playing it 5 times and even from the tips I was able to break 80 twice. Not overly difficult and it pretty much is right in front of you.

"Not overly difficult"

That depends on your point of view & handicap. For most of us mere mortals it is overly difficult. ;)

I will be playing #1 this Sunday. Cant freaking wait. 7 rounds in 4 days starting Thursday morning. Giddyup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom