Best TV Show of the Decade? | Syracusefan.com

Best TV Show of the Decade?

Shawn91111

Starter
Going off of the best movie of the decade, this is best TV show/series of the decade. The show has to have started in the last decade, so Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec would be out.

No order for me but..

Veep

Silicon Valley

The Americans

Better Call Saul

Boardwalk Empire

Placing an additional restriction on my list: Minimum of three seasons (Sorry, Westworld and Barry).
  1. Stranger Things
  2. Glow
  3. Better Call Saul
  4. Black-ish
  5. Silicon Valley
  6. The Good Place
  7. Justified
  8. Big Mouth
  9. Broad City
  10. The Goldbergs

Better Call Saul
Atlanta

I’m one of those who tries shows out and gives up quickly...but when I get into a show, I go all in and will watch the whole thing multiple times. The above two are the only new shows this decade that really pulled me in.

edit: Throw in Boardwalk Empire at #3. I enjoyed that quite a bit, but forgot it started this decade.

Santa clarita diet
homeland
Spartacus

Succession
The kominski method

FAR behind thrones....will need to watch all the others mentioned here, at some point

Succession
The kominski method

FAR behind thrones...will need to watch all the others mentioned here, at some point
Kominski is good. I liked Succession, season 1, but haven't seen 2.

so many shows the only I have really watched on any of these lists is Justified which I really liked.
want to see Peaky blinders though
gave up on stranger things
hated game of thrones almost made it thru 1 episode
VEEP I have seen pieces of episodes and it was solid

really its OTA tv vs cable
OTA
Superstore
big bang
NCIS
Community
Parks and recreation
Person of Interest

Cableish
Sherlock
12 monkeys
Mandalorian
walking dead
Banshee
Psych
Burn Notice
Suits
Leverage

For me, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead are the two top shows. Both of these shows felt unparalleled in terms of interest and quality, but I do believe that both have been discounted / lowered in the eyes of many due to later-seasons not living up to the incredible standard these programs set initially.

Better Call Saul is another show that is just captivating. For this to be a spin-off, and in some ways be even BETTER than the amazing original show is a testament to the amazing writing, acting, and plot.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see 12 Monkeys in the post above -- it is rare that any ScyFy network shows would ever come up in these type of discussions for best show. It meandered a bit in the middle, but really pulled it together for a satisfying closing of the intricate story arc loop over the last two seasons.

I also really liked Mr. Mercedes -- the acting was just superb.

The show I was probably looking forward to the most and was most disappointed by was probably Twin Peaks: The Return.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see 12 Monkeys in the post above -- it is rare that any ScyFy network shows would ever come up in these type of discussions for best show. It meandered a bit in the middle, but really pulled it together for a satisfying closing of the intricate story arc loop over the last two seasons.

Also, wasn't this the show that Cali's son was prominently involved with?

It's not something that's come across my radar apart from that, but it's cool that some people recognize and enjoy it.

For me, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead are the two top shows. Both of these shows felt unparalleled in terms of interest and quality, but I do believe that both have been discounted / lowered in the eyes of many due to later-seasons not living up to the incredible standard these programs set initially.

Better Call Saul is another show that is just captivating. For this to be a spin-off, and in some ways be even BETTER than the amazing original show is a testament to the amazing writing, acting, and plot.

I also really liked Mr. Mercedes -- the acting was just superb.

The show I was probably looking forward to the most and was most disappointed by was probably Twin Peaks: The Return.
Fully agree on Twin Peaks. I loved the original. Even read the Laura Palmer Diary back in 1990 or whenever it was. But, the new Showtime series sucked out loud. Maybe another one of those instances where an 'auteur/genius' is actually given too much freedom.

I have been disappointed in Better Call Saul. It's just. So. Slow. I think the last season was better, but right now, i can't remember any of it, so i guess it didn't make much of an impact. Wait, what? How is Saul better than Breaking Bad?

I liked Walking Dead a lot initially, and then—maybe around the time Rick died or just before(?)—my interest began to wane. The whole Neegan thing got to be too much. I stopped watching a season ago, and even stopped watching the spin-off sometime last year. You're right—i didn't even think to include them in my top shows of the decade purely because my feelings about them were so totally changed by the last few seasons.

when did Rick Die?
Sorry - i didn't mean rick. Haven't seen it in a long time. What was the guy's name? I dunno. I'm not even sure which series i'm talking about. Wasn't there a cross-over?

Sorry - i didn't mean rick. Haven't seen it in a long time. What was the guy's name? I dunno. I'm not even sure which series i'm talking about. Wasn't there a cross-over?
Glenn?

Fully agree on Twin Peaks. I loved the original. Even read the Laura Palmer Diary back in 1990 or whenever it was. But, the new Showtime series sucked out loud. Maybe another one of those instances where an 'auteur/genius' is actually given too much freedom.

I have been disappointed in Better Call Saul. It's just. So. Slow. I think the last season was better, but right now, i can't remember any of it, so i guess it didn't make much of an impact. Wait, what? How is Saul better than Breaking Bad?

I liked Walking Dead a lot initially, and then—maybe around the time Rick died or just before(?)—my interest began to wane. The whole Neegan thing got to be too much. I stopped watching a season ago, and even stopped watching the spin-off sometime last year. You're right—i didn't even think to include them in my top shows of the decade purely because my feelings about them were so totally changed by the last few seasons.
Count me in as someone who didn’t care for the new Twin Peaks. Just awful television. I criticized QT and Scorsese for being self-indulgent with their latest. The same applies to Lynch.

Agree to disagree on Saul.

TWD is in the midst of a rebound this season. Glad I stuck with it. Just missed the cut on my list.

Some other honorable mentions (in no particular order):
The Handmaid’s Tale
Ray Donovan
Grace and Frankie
Transparent
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
House of Cards

Count me in as someone who didn’t care for the new Twin Peaks. Just awful television. I criticized QT and Scorsese for being self-indulgent with their latest. The same applies to Lynch.

TWD is in the midst of a rebound this season. Glad I stuck with it. Just missed the cut on my list.

The Handmaid’s Tale
Ray Donovan
Grace and Frankie
Transparent
House of Cards
Ray was a guilty pleasure. Plus I really liked his watch collection.

I’m pretty shocked. I can honestly report that I have never seen a single episode of any show mentioned in this entire thread!! (Aside from the office which I think was mentioned as an aside).

1: Game of Thrones. It's not even close.

2-12, not in order: Broad City, Boardwalk Empire, Veep, Homeland, Fargo, Catastrophe, The Crown, Master of None, PEN15, Barry, Peaky Blinders.

Catastrophe! Very underrated, and I feel like I never run into many people that watched it - although we only watched S1 and S2 for some reason. So, I'll blame myself as well for the underappreciation.

Otherwise, I'm going with...….Karate Kid and Dateline NBC. Dateline had a really strong decade.

The Handmaid’s Tale
Ray Donovan
Grace and Frankie
Transparent
House of Cards
I forgot House of Cards and Transparent.
I liked Ray Donovan, too, but didn't think it was 'genius' enough to include. But, it was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom