Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

Watch Gerry leave too.
I think Gerry is in the JB mold, loves it here and wants to be here. This could just be as simple as Hopkins thinking this is the right situation.
Next man up, Red and GMac and get a young dynamic recruiter. Kids know who GMac is when he comes to see them. Red and GMac are the "Bouncers" and JB is the cooler. It is tough to see anybody from the family leave, but I have faith JB will find a suitable replacement. Time will tell.

I think we will know how long Boeheim will be around based on how many assistants leave with Hopkins. If they leave then they know Boeheim is still leaving after next year and they aren't guaranteed a job with the new coach. If they stick around then it is likely that Boeheim is sticking around for a while.

This is true. I think many of us will be a tad disappointed in the level of coach that will come here. Not saying we're going to have to settle for the OCC coach but if you think we can snap our fingers and get a big name you will be disappointed (I think).
Defeatist attitude. We can (and will) bring in a top flight coach when JB leaves.

This isn't football. Too many people compare our past football coaching searches to what they expect out of our future bball coach search. Completely different circumstances.

This seems to me that JB will have the coaching job as long as he wants it.

It also signals to me that we will have an immediate search for a #1 assistant/head recruiter.

I think Gerry is in the JB mold, loves it here and wants to be here. This could just be as simple as Hopkins thinking this is the right situation.
Next man up, Red and GMac and get a young dynamic recruiter. Kids know who GMac is when he comes to see them. Red and GMac are the "Bouncers" and JB is the cooler. It is tough to see anybody from the family leave, but I have faith JB will find a suitable replacement. Time will tell.
None of these high school kids care about or know who GMac is. Let's be real here.

Wow...if true...body blow...

I think this could explain a lot of the recruiting issues...

Hop wanting to recruit guys who fit his system starting next year...

Boeheim wanting guys who fit his system because he's not going anywhere..

And I can only imagine Hop's frustration if, after playing the good soldier all these years and now being on the verge of getting the team, gets told that JB isn't going to retire as scheduled.

Tension among players this year?

How about coaching staff tension...

There is no way Hop takes off this year even if JB is retiring as planned next year, is there?

Ouch...
For a guaranteed six year deal where he doesn't have to follow a forty-plus year Hall of Fame coach? I think this is absolutely the right move and I don't believe it is necessary to create a dramatic situation out of it...but of course many will, as is their right on a message board.

It was. Hopkins always had the option to leave, though.
I happy because now JB can stay and thus needs to up his recruiting game now.
This addresses why Hop wasn't in all in recruiting the NJ guys Francis was talking about.
Hop can show what he can do in Washington.
If he does well 5 years down the line we can pay the insane buyout and bring him home like Roy Williams-UNC.

We get to see what Hop is.

JB needs to get off this chitpost and bring the energy to recruit.
Hop is never coming back here. You can take that to the bank.

Yes. But he wouldn't come to that conclusion without JB's consent.

Not necessarily.

Look I have no inside info whatsoever so this is simply pure speculation.

Wildhack is an SU guy but he is also a corporate guy.

There is no loyalty in the corporate world.

It is all about the bottom line and who does the brass think is going to do the best job.

And ESPN was in one of the most cutthroat businesses going.

There is no reward for loyalty, longevity or anything else.

If Wildhack decided that Hop wasn't the right guy, he is not going to go to Boeheim and ask his permission, it's Wildhack's call...

For a guaranteed six year deal where he doesn't have to follow a forty-plus year Hall of Fame coach? I think this is absolutely the right move and I don't believe it is necessary to create a dramatic situation out of it...but of course many will, as is their right on a message board.
You don't believe it's dramatic that our "HC in waiting" behind our current HC who was supposed to retire next year just left to coach another school?

You must have a high tolerance for drama.

Hop is never coming back here. You can take that to the bank.
Then there is real tension between JB and Hop.
I never liked giving the keys to Hop after JB.
Win/win for me.

Washington Huskies

"The University of Washington is such a unique place, with a world-class University, an exciting basketball history and unbelievable fan support," Hopkins said. "Together, I believe we can build something very special in Seattle, and I can't wait to get started."

"I can't express enough thanks to Coach Boeheim for so many years of mentorship and guidance," Hopkins said. "The timing is right for me and my family to make this move."

Last edited:
You don't believe it's dramatic that our "HC in waiting" behind our current HC who was supposed to retire next year just left to coach another school?

You must have a high tolerance for drama.
Happened at Texas too. Head coach in waiting is stupid in my opinion. Glad it's over, but deeply concerned at same time.

Good for Hop. Hope he does well at Washington. But we need to start looking for a replacement. Mike Mennenga out of Oregon would be a good fit I think.

Mennenga has NY ties, having lived in Buffalo and worked on staffs at UB and Canisius

Defeatist attitude. We can (and will) bring in a top flight coach when JB leaves.

This isn't football. Too many people compare our past football coaching searches to what they expect out of our future bball coach search. Completely different circumstances.

This seems to me that JB will have the coaching job as long as he wants it.

It also signals to me that we will have an immediate search for a #1 assistant/head recruiter.
We can get any hot mid-major coach we want. This is still a great job but the longer the JB sticks around, the harder it could get.

While this is certainly shocking, it will be interesting to see a new assistant recruiting to prove himself to keep his job. When's the last time we had a staffer in that position?
What hot shot is coming for what could be a 1 or 2 year gig?

Then there is real tension between JB and Hop.
I never liked giving the keys to Hop after JB.
Win/win for me.
It's not tension. Hop made it clear that if he got the USC job, he wasn't coming back. I'm just applying the same standards. That ship has now sailed for both Hop and the school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom