Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

There was once a post on this board that would give a lot of support to this logic. And it was straight from the horse's mouth.

A take solace in the likelihood that we are in GREAT hands, whatever direction this takes.

I agree but I think he knows he would be successful here and I think Wright has aspirations that can't be filled at Nova. There's certain things he could do and be part of coaching at Syracuse in the ACC that he can't at Nova.

The ACC is basically the CBB Mecca of Coaching.

See people mentioning Beilein. Wouldn't mind that either.
And with Wright, he'd usher in and be new the face of ACC coaching. Gotta think within the next 5 years (or sooner) that JB, K, and Roy will all be gone. No idea what Pitino's plans are though

JB can't retire after next year now or Hop really hated the situation.

Hop had the job in writing after next year. He must know JB is staying on or he really has a behind the scenes issue.

either way I am happy. We getting some new blood in next year.

I am okay with JB eating some spinach and kale and becoming reenergized as he better bring energy or he is still gone after next year and Hop had issues behind the scenes.

Imagine this place if we land old Tommy Boy
tom-crean-gif.gif

No. I think that Hop did know that he wasn't this A.D.s choice. and that isn't a good feeling to have. And throw in a 6 year deal and lots of $$, it was an easy choice for Hop.
Right, and I'm saying JB was completely sympathetic to Hop and urged him to jump on the next p5 opportunity to pop up. I'm saying that this is the Wildhack/Syverud plan and it's a plan that didn't include any input or blessing from JB or Hop.

I guess he couldn't wait one more year.
Makes no sense. SU 100x better job than Washington. It's not close to southern CA. I could see if he went to Cal but not Washington. What?

I personally think Joe Dooley would be a better hire. Jersey guy, and is headed for a big job sooner rather than later. Great defensive minded coach.
That's something I hadn't even considered, but would be open too. There is a lot of speculation that Dooley leaves after this year since he interviewed for a few jobs last year and has had four straight successful seasons down here. However, he will have his most talented roster next season and could be looking at one more season at FGCU. So if he doesn't take a job somewhere this year AND JB retires next year it is possible.

Right, and I'm saying JB was completely sympathetic to Hop and urged him to jump on the next p5 opportunity to pop up. I'm saying that this is the Wildhack/Syverud plan and it's a plan that didn't include any input or blessing from JB or Hop.
And I'm telling you that Hop was the next coach at Syracuse. Period. That was set in stone and I believe Syverud confirmed that. Hop was going to leave for USC. That was before Wildhack. The Washington deal was just too good to pass up.

We didn't have to pay Boeheim more though.

SU football is not SU basketball...especially by 2004, 2008, 2012, etc.

SU bball job has never been open since it became an elite program in the 1980s.

We'll see soon enough how important basketball is to the university.

I sense they'll step up, but they've been lucky to have JB for so many years.

A coach with his success would be paid twice what JB makes.

And I'm telling you that Hop was the next coach at Syracuse. Period. That was set in stone and I believe Syverud confirmed that. Hop was going to leave for USC. That was before Wildhack. The Washington deal was just too good to pass up.
If we really wanted Hop, we would've offered more money and an iron-clad promise that he takes over after next year, no?

I believe you've addressed this but all I gather from what's gone down is that we weren't that high on Hop taking over.

Not really.

The Dome, the conference, the school's commitment to hoops, the proximity to recruiting hot spots, the tradition, the fan support - none of that is changing.

We're the definition of a selector school for getting a coach. That's true now and will be 10 years from now.

This is a joke. We're not a selector school in any aspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom