Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

True. If they're sticking with the retirement plan, use this year to identify candidates and be ready to pounce when the season ends. I'm not convinced that Hop leaving necessarily means Boeheim staying but we'll see.
Yeah but doing this puts you one to two years behind in recruiting. Why would anyone commit to 2018 not knowing who is coaching the team?

This is all on JB.

Hop is bringing Gerry with him and Hart is joining him from USC.

Some major disagreements between Hop and JB on the future of the program, including JB basically refusing to speak with any 2018 recruits.

If true, not good at all.

If Boeheim intends to coach 2 or 3 more years, then Hopkins getting HC experience elsewhere is good for Cuse.

Honestly, this worries me a ton. Makes me wonder what Hop thinks of the direction we're heading. Makes me also wonder how attractive this job really is. I think both legit concerns considering everything the past season.
I was not convinced that Hopkins was the man for the job after his 4-5 performance last season. What solidified it for me was the fact that they became a Final Four team. He was never able to bring that level of play out of them. I don't believe he is ready to coach at this level. I was hoping that with Wildhack coming in, the coaching search for a more established guy would commence. Can anyone say Jay Wright? One can only hope.

Sure, one can say that things are in a bit of disarray right now, but this is honestly the first of many steps in the right direction. Best of luck to Hop at UW. Great guy, loved by all, and I hope he proves me wrong.

now I'm starting to feel sick about this and about the state of the program
Starting to feel like the Titanic if Boeheim doesn't step down in the next few weeks.

We need to rip the band-aid off and move in a new direction.

With no succession plan in place, what is the point of JB staying on when everyone knows his time is basically up?

On the topic of new coaches..

Can we get someone like Pitino's style. Heading into halftime and he's talking about wearing out Michigans point guard. "We don't care about turning him over, we just want to wear him out".

Ugh, my kingdom for an aggressive Head Coach at Syracuse.

As an aside, Brissett, Sidibe and Moyer seem like the types of frontcourt players Louisville gets and turns into studs who stay for more than 1 or 2 years.
there is only one Pitino. I honestly believe that if he had stayed at Kentucky, he would be considered the greatest college hoop coach of all time.

Yeah but doing this puts you one to two years behind in recruiting. Why would anyone commit to 2018 not knowing who is coaching the team?

As others have said, our recruiting is already screwed by the uncertainty. I doubt if any long-term deal with Boeheim will solve that. They could also try the WVU-Bill Stewart method and bring on an assistant as coach-in-waiting.

"He wants to build a legacy, felt like the opportunity was special at Washington, and also wanted to make sure he did right by his mentor and father figure, Jim Boeheim," a source close to situation told Goodman.

How does leaving now for the HC at Washington "do right" by his "mentor?" The answer to that question should give us a clue as to the new succession plan.
Hop thought that there was more pressure on JB to retire with him around..

This is all on JB.

Hop is bringing Gerry with him and Hart is joining him from USC.

Some major disagreements between Hop and JB on the future of the program, including JB basically refusing to speak with any 2018 recruits.
If Gerry is going then Boeheim will probably be going too and we will have a national coaching search.

Starting to feel like the Titanic if Boeheim doesn't step down in the next few weeks.

We need to rip the band-aid off and move in a new direction.

With no succession plan in place, what is the point of JB staying on when everyone knows his time is basically up?
No, Jb stepping down would be a disaster. We still have sanctions. We need some sort of stability.

Dean finished his career in the final four...
And many of us think that if Dean had returned in 1998, we would have won it all. Guthridge got the team to the FF, but he clearly lacked that something to win it all.

now I'm starting to feel sick about this and about the state of the program
It doesn't look good. Only saving grace is that they announce the JB will not be retiring anytime soon. Throw another wrench into the equation, go back to Coach K's comments that "we don't know what a treasure we have." Is it possible Jim filled him in on the plan and this was Coach K's way of coming to defense of his friend?

Or maybe he was told that we aren't honoring the contract? Or he read the tea leaves? Or he was left off Wildhack's Christmas card list?

I don't recall you being one of the people who wanted Hop to get his shot. So this is surprising from you.

This is a good thing long term. Maybe the next couple years will be tough. But ultimately this is good.

I didn't really have an opinion about it but thought he earned the chance.

My biggest thing about this is he left when he was set up for the job, not 5 years from now, not 4, but 1.

This is a big deal. If we're having trouble recruiting now, what's next?

Or maybe he was told that we aren't honoring the contract? Or he read the tea leaves? Or he was left off Wildhack's Christmas card list?

I don't recall you being one of the people who wanted Hop to get his shot. So this is surprising from you.

This is a good thing long term. Maybe the next couple years will be tough. But ultimately this is good.

I didn't really have an opinion about it but thought he earned the chance.

My biggest thing about this is he left when he was set up for the job, not 5 years from now, not 4, but 1.

This is a big deal. If we're having trouble recruiting now, what's next?

Now, Jb stepping down would be a disaster. We still have sanctions. We need some sort of stability.
We're almost out of the sanctions though. I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.

The bigger deal is the roster he's assembled for next year and whether a new HC would be fearful of having to perform with what's in the cupboard.

Hop also wanted JC PG this year to bridge gap next year when Lydon, Thompson, and Battle leave...JB said no, he wants to bring in a Grad transfer

We may even lose a recruit

Brissett and Sidibe have both signed LOI's.

SU is Washington's dream school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom