Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

Interesting to see where SU goes from here. Don't see Hopkins bolting Seattle for SU if he has success out West. He was tired of waiting. Who can blame him? Who does SU go after for lead assistant? I don't think Autry and G-Mac are ready for that role yet, plus they need a lead recruiter which Hop was. A messy situation.

I think I am relaxed. This is a pretty big development and it seems Boeheim is torpedoing this program with his decision making as a Head Coach and in regards to staying on as Head Coach.

It's time to move on. I'm of the mind set that delaying the inevitable will begin to immensely hurt the program more than it already has.
Wait, our top assistant just left to take a P5 job and you're using that as a signal our program is in trouble and the HC should retire immediately? And you think you're relaxed with that thought process?

I really hope you aren't tasked with strategic decision making in your current job.

there is only one Pitino. I honestly believe that if he had stayed at Kentucky, he would be considered the greatest college hoop coach of all time.

I think junior pitino is a viable option

I just don't get why JB is doing this. He is hurting the program more by staying in my opinion I don't know what to think
No good coach will touch our job while we are on probation.
Let JB stay on and shepherd these next 2 years and get a national search after that.

I am glad we got a clean break from Hop though. Last year was not confidence inducing. Good luck out west take GMac and kill it out there.

I wasn't sure if Hopkins was going to be the solution when JB retired, but this is a much worse situation. JB clearly doesn't want to put in the crazy hours to run the day to day or to recruit first-hand. Unless we have a big time outsider waiting to take the job...we're in bad bad bad shape.

you're right. honestly i'm not sure about that part. could be someone that was in the works? are we after anyone from Toronto?

There are a bunch of kids that are currently being recruited for 2018 and 2019. But since we haven't received any verbal commitments, we can't lose what we don't have.

gettyimages-470309868.jpg

Wait, our top assistant just left to take a P5 job and you're using that as a signal our program is in trouble and the HC should retire immediately? And you think you're relaxed with that thought process?

I really hope you aren't tasked with strategic decision making in your current job.
I'm not a big fan of JB so there's a lot more that goes into my thought process than being reactionary over today's development.

Add this to everything else and yes, it's becoming a big problem.

I could see renegotiating JB's timeline if, say, he made back-to-back final fours or something along those lines... but with the current trajectory any contract extension for JB will show that Wildhack can get bossed around. Hop leaving shouldn't suddenly be an excuse to kick the cans down the road a few more years.

Or maybe he was told that we aren't honoring the contract? Or he read the tea leaves? Or he was left off Wildhack's Christmas card list?

I don't recall you being one of the people who wanted Hop to get his shot. So this is surprising from you.

This is a good thing long term. Maybe the next couple years will be tough. But ultimately this is good.

I didn't really have an opinion about it but thought he earned the chance.

My biggest thing about this is he left when he was set up for the job, not 5 years from now, not 4, but 1.

This is a big deal. If we're having trouble recruiting now, what's next? We don't know who the next coach is, and we have zero continuity (unless it's Gmac or Red).

I guess I don't understand why others don't see this as a huge and possibly devastating news.

JB was told that Hop was going to be the coach after next season. Hop got a great offer and was able to get away from Jb and all that goes with him. Good and bad.
Except that doesn't explain Hop's diminished effort on the recruiting trail.

"He wants to build a legacy, felt like the opportunity was special at Washington, and also wanted to make sure he did right by his mentor and father figure, Jim Boeheim," a source close to situation told Goodman.

How does leaving now for the HC at Washington "do right" by his "mentor?" The answer to that question should give us a clue as to the new succession plan.
Not forcing him to leave.

There are a bunch of kids that are currently being recruited for 2018 and 2019. But since we haven't received any verbal commitments, we can't lose what we don't have.

Bad wording. My fault.

Regardless, JB seems miserable. I was hoping this would be a smooth transition, but it is looking like it will be anything but. Some really distressing stuff.

No good coach will touch our job while we are on probation.
Let JB stay on and shepherd these next 2 years and get a national search after that.

I am glad we got a clean break from Hop though. Last year was not confidence inducing. Good out west take GMac and kill it out there.
Our probation is basically over at this point. By the time anyone comes in we will be back to full strength. I don't disagree with your other points but you never know.

By the same token, I can't imagine that all this was part of anyone's plan. I'd like to give Boeheim the benefit of the doubt but I also know that when folks are heavily invested in something, it can be awful hard to let go. It's hard to pretend that everything is peachy keen on the hill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom