Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

I want to love this but new blood is being transfused into a HC with a year or so left. How is that possibly effective for the long term?

Either JB stays on for 5 more years and is a completely new coach or he needs to step away. The in-between is a temporary program killer.
I heard that JB wanted to stay longer than next year and his request was denied by AD Wildhack. Maybe that decision was tied to Hop's status/contract. With him out of the way, maybe JB and the AD revisit the issue.

I think the wild card in all this might be Buddy Boeheim. Maybe JB wants to stick around along enough to coach his son?

Unfortunately, I don't think he has the energy to coach five more years let alone two. A head coach needs to be out on the road recruiting. That's not JB's game anymore. He's also going to have to take on a greater role in running practices. And when we fail to make the tourney next year (likely), JB will be feeling enormous heat. One year closer to retirement, recruiting will become even tougher. This isn't playing out well.

He's re-invented himself before and pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat on multiple occasions. One thing about JB is he doesn't like to lose an the only thing he hates worse is when he is questioned. He's no idiot, he hears what people are saying about him and his career being over and SU trending in the wrong direction. Don't be surprised when he comes out like gangbusters the next few years, hes is a stubborn SOB who would rather die proving people wrong then retiring and walking off into the sunset. To me this is just the shake up he needs to give it one last big run.

I heard that JB wanted to stay longer than next year and his request was denied by AD Wildhack. Maybe that decision was tied to Hop's status/contract. With him out of the way, maybe JB and the AD revisit the issue.

I think the wild card in all this might be Buddy Boeheim. Maybe JB wants to stick around along enough to coach his son?

I think its all on JB, I like Wildhack a lot but if JB wants to coach past next year he's going to coach past next season period. No AD in the country has the cache to force out a guy like JB, no one.

That's most certainly not what is happening.
It's likely Hop did not feel comfortable going into a HC position with an AD who didn't hire him and he wasn't "his guy". Maybe Hop got that vibe from Wildhack and decided it didn't bode well for him. Probably sees that after the recruiting problems the team will not be great next couple years and would provide AD with a reason to fire him and hire their own guy. This way he avoids that situation.

He's re-invented himself before and pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat on multiple occasions. One thing about JB is he doesn't like to lose an the only thing he hates worse is when he is questioned. He's no idiot, he hears what people are saying about him and his career being over and SU trending in the wrong direction. Don't be surprised when he comes out like gangbusters the next few years, hes is a stubborn SOB who would rather die proving people wrong then retiring and walking off into the sunset. To me this is just the shake up he needs to give it one last big run.
I'd be down with this.

I'm hard on JB but I'm hard on the JB of the last few years. If he changes that, ups his game and stays on another 4-5 years then I'm all for it.

It's one thing to know the problem. It's another to be able to do something about it. What's that old saying? "The mind is willing but the body is weak"?

That was beautifully crafted.

Boeheim Fan Fantasy #217 - "JB wants to continue coaching at SU beyond the next year"

There's no a shred, not a scintilla of evidence to support this. It's pure Message Board Fan fantasy.

But it's pointed to as one of the reasons --- if not the reason --- Hopkins took the UW job.

The more likely case is that JB wants to retire, play golf, watch his kids play and enjoy life while he still has his health. He agreed to the Hopkins deal even though he probably didn't have to.

Few people want to work forever when they don't have to.

Boeheim Fan Fantasy #217 - "JB wants to continue coaching at SU beyond the next year"

There's no a shred, not a scintilla of evidence to support this. It's pure Message Board Fan fantasy.

But it's pointed to as one of the reasons --- if not the reason --- Hopkins took the UW job.

The more likely case is that JB wants to retire, play golf, watch his kids play and enjoy life while he still has his health. He agreed to the Hopkins deal even though he probably didn't have to.

Few people want to work forever when they don't have to.

He mentioned in a recent presser he'd like to coach longer.

Wildhack is in a real tough spot, if there is any hint that hes forcing JB out there will be an uproar of epic proportions from the fanbase and national media. I actually think JB is going to be around several more years, based on his recent comments and the reporting a few months back that he wasn't planning on going with the previous plan. I don't think hes going anywhere.

Nah! Wildhack isn't afraid of criticism.

He's afraid the program will go into a long slide downwards. And that he will be blamed for that. A little noise over JB, he can handle.

Why didn't JB re-invent himself before 3 straight years on the bubble

Hes been here 40 + years, hes re-invented himself more times then we will probably ever know. Sh$t happens, even UNC and Duke have had down years it happens. 90% of college bball fanbases would give their left nut to trade places with us.

He mentioned in a recent presser he'd like to coach longer.

He is going to coach longer. That was always the plan. Longer, as in one more year.

Of course, if he was privy to the plan that blew up the Hopkins "Coach-in-Waiting" plan, than what he said publicly had to be consistent with that.

Because we've been killing it on the recruiting trail! I love these 8th place finishes in the ACC.

Why would you assume a new strategy can only result in improvement? Lots of new radical changes end up as disasters. (I'd say most because they are aggressive and fraught with risk)

There are positions below 8th in the ACC.

Hes been here 40 + years, hes re-invented himself more times then we will probably ever know. Sh$t happens, even UNC and Duke have had down years it happens. 90% of college bball fanbases would give their left nut to trade places with us.

I hope you're right. But I have serious concerns. I'm guessing next year is his last.

I woke up in LA/3 hrs behind liberal east coast news, and read the still expanding 30+ page thread in record time, not skipping ahead to read the last page first... expecting to find answers near the end. What the actual frack?!

• Makes sense for Hop, if he couldn't get a long (4-6) year contract with SU. He gets guaranteed 6 years, at a salary that probably beats ours even if he were to take over next year.
• He gets to be his own man. Not follow a "genius/legend." Not feel like he has to mirror the established system. Be closer to dad.
• Eearlier in the bread I was thinking if he's reasonably successful at Washington, maybe SU wants him back if JB stays 4-5 years. SU pays one or two years of Buyout money. But, that's unlikely.
• It's very hard for me to understand the timing in all of this. One day after losing at home to a crap team in the NIT and JB is all ready to decide his future? I would expect he'd want to decompress and take a little time. This sorta smacks of an administration saying Enough is enough—this mediocrity will not stand.
• How did the Washington offer happen? Roma's is out for a week, and udub must have had a shortlist and feelers out for weeks. When was the offer made? Just now, or was this some sort of contingency thing, where they've known Roma's was going to be ousted for months?
• What must have been Hopkins' over/under for a decision to stay or go? JB stringing him along is uncool. Saying The Plan was up in the air a couple of weeks ago must have felt like a slap in the face to Hop regardless of Hop's respect for JB.

I'm kinda sick about all this. Feel bad for Hopkins—not for him getting millions of dollars, but that he sorta 'lost' time, and for us, because I would have wanted to see how he did with/for SU. I can't imagine JB convinced the AD that he has the stamina to keep going. And that the ad thinks it's just fine and not at all coincidental that JB stopped coaching practice and recruiting and we've been on the bubble/.500 consistently. How can he believe JB is going to lose his top assistant, gobble geritol, convince recruits that he will be there for the long haul when he just said it's a year to year thing... and turn it all around, at ages 72-75?

Did the press conference happen while I was writing this? Do we now have answers?

With a 1 year lame duck HC and no successor, you guys realize 2018 class recruiting is dead right? No recruit is signing up to play for a TBD HC. This situation is not viable. What will AD do?

I woke up in LA/3 hrs behind liberal east coast news, and read the still expanding 30+ page thread in record time, not skipping ahead to read the last page first... expecting to find answers near the end. What the actual frack?!

• Makes sense for Hop, if he couldn't get a long (4-6) year contract with SU. He gets guaranteed 6 years, at a salary that probably beats ours even if he were to take over next year.
• He gets to be his own man. Not follow a "genius/legend." Not feel like he has to mirror the established system. Be closer to dad.
• Eearlier in the bread I was thinking if he's reasonably successful at Washington, maybe SU wants him back if JB stays 4-5 years. SU pays one or two years of Buyout money. But, that's unlikely.
• It's very hard for me to understand the timing in all of this. One day after losing at home to a crap team in the NIT and JB is all ready to decide his future? I would expect he'd want to decompress and take a little time. This sorta smacks of an administration saying Enough is enough—this mediocrity will not stand.
• How did the Washington offer happen? Roma's is out for a week, and udub must have had a shortlist and feelers out for weeks. When was the offer made? Just now, or was this some sort of contingency thing, where they've known Roma's was going to be ousted for months?
• What must have been Hopkins' over/under for a decision to stay or go? JB stringing him along is uncool. Saying The Plan was up in the air a couple of weeks ago must have felt like a slap in the face to Hop regardless of Hop's respect for JB.

I'm kinda sick about all this. Feel bad for Hopkins—not for him getting millions of dollars, but that he sorta 'lost' time, and for us, because I would have wanted to see how he did with/for SU. I can't imagine JB convinced the AD that he has the stamina to keep going. And that the ad thinks it's just fine and not at all coincidental that JB stopped coaching practice and recruiting and we've been on the bubble/.500 consistently. How can he believe JB is going to lose his top assistant, gobble geritol, convince recruits that he will be there for the long haul when he just said it's a year to year thing... and turn it all around, at ages 72-75?

Did the press conference happen while I was writing this? Do we now have answers?
i think it is pretty clear that Wildhack is jumping for joy. He gets to name his own guys.

With a 1 year lame duck HC and no successor, you guys realize 2018 class recruiting is dead right? No recruit is signing up to play for a TBD HC. This situation is not viable. What will AD do?

This is what I was trying to say earlier when being told to jump off the ledge.

Unless Battle plays 4 years and everybody ends up being much better than we are I have zero doubt we have some sub .500 teams in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom