Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

A 5 yer extension would be for show. Does anybody really expect JB to stick around until he's almost 80??

JB hasn't been all in either. He doesn't recruit anymore. We've been sending AA and Gerry out for recruits. That just doesn't cut it.

How many coaches can Syracuse can put on the road to recruit right now?

JB won't let go?

How about JB would be glad to let go. But Wildhack and the University didn't have confidence in Hopkins and have beseeched JB to stay on so that they could get a replacement with proven head coaching experience.

Boeheim, who has exhibited uncommon loyalty to the University over four decades would probably stay on even though he doesn't need the money, the notoriety, or the grief.

Of course, if your agenda is to smear Boeheim and make him look as bad as possible, than you say he's hanging on for his own selfish reasons.

If the Boeheim lobby on the Board stomps its collective feet I could see this dragging out a little. But I too would be surprised if the administration lets him stay past this year. Still wouldn't be shocked to see him hang it up in the next month or so.

Wildhack is in a real tough spot, if there is any hint that hes forcing JB out there will be an uproar of epic proportions from the fanbase and national media. I actually think JB is going to be around several more years, based on his recent comments and the reporting a few months back that he wasn't planning on going with the previous plan. I don't think hes going anywhere.

JB won't let go?

How about JB would be glad to let go. But Wildhack and the University didn't have confidence in Hopkins and have beseeched JB to stay on so that they could get a replacement with proven head coaching experience.

Boeheim, who has exhibited uncommon loyalty to the University over four decades would probably stay on even though he doesn't need the money, the notoriety, or the grief.

Of course, if your agenda is to smear Boeheim and make him look as bad as possible, than you say he's hanging on for his own selfish reasons.
Well this is certainly a blockbuster of an angle if in anyway remotely true.

We kind of are.

Not in the Rutgers sense but when compared to our peer schools.

We have a HC who can't hang em up. Our HC in waiting bounced. We've been recruiting like we're Virginia Tech and are a perennial bubble team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you against Hop taking over anyway? I apologize if that's not the case.

JB won't let go?

JB can leave whenever he wants.

JB is stubborn but he isn't an idiot.

He can analyze the situation and say I need to do more now if I am staying. I can be lazy when I know I am going to be gone. This either forces JB to spend more time recruiting or he will be coaching 10-21 teams.

I don't see JB as a moron. So he will hire great recruiters and bring more energy.
Absolutely. If anyone has been in the same position where they have a great right hand man that you have trained and groomed and then that person gets promoted to a different department or location, then you know you need to get off auto pilot and put that same energy into things to groom the next person. JAB obviously feels he is ready for Plan B. Hope he is right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you against Hop taking over anyway? I apologize if that's not the case.
I was indifferent to it.

My issue is mainly with how JB has run this program the past few years.

I think we'll be fine once he's retired. Very uneasy about the time in-between.

GMac and Autry would be in a bad spot if Jimmy leaves after next season and the AD goes outside for a new HC. He would want to bring in his own staff and they would be out of a job.
I understand that concept. My point is that Syracuse can't let Boeheim stay for 1 year at this point. It either needs to be 3 to 4 years or him retire this year. If they keep the plan the same with him leaving after 1 year then we will be in very bad shape. No assistant coaches would come here for 1 year to only be fired. And no recruit would come here not knowing who the coach would be. Something has to change either Boeheim gone now or stays alot longer. Those are the only two options.

JB is stubborn but he isn't an idiot.

He can analyze the situation and say I need to do more now if I am staying. I can be lazy when I know I am going to be gone. This either forces JB to spend more time recruiting or he will be coaching 10-21 teams.

I don't see JB as a moron. So he will hire great recruiters and bring more energy.

That's fine and well but where was this urgency earlier in the year? Our problems on the recruiting front didn't begin at 1pm today. If we're to believe the rumors in this thread, then Boeheim has had major disagreements with Hopkins on recruiting and has avoided seeing 2018 prospects.

It looks to me like this was a bit of a power struggle and Boeheim won out. Hopefully, he builds on that win in the manner you suggest.

These were my original posts on what I heard a few months ago...
I wasn't going to post this but in the spirit of people posting rumors about team chemistry and the like, I figured why not.

A guy I know (friend of a friend) sat next to one of the program's biggest boosters at MSG for the UConn game. They were literally right behind Dino Babers in the second row. The booster donated the court at the Melo Center. He's big time. The booster told the guy I know very matter-of-factly that Hopkins will not be the next head coach. He said we will go after a big name coach. Now again, this doesn't mean much but this wasn't some random guy. It's a booster who has access at the highest level of SU athletics. No clue if it is accurate; in fact, I think it's b.s. Hopkins has a contract. That said, I thought it was an interesting nugget in lieu of all of this speculation.

I was genuinely on the fence about posting what I did. My hesitancy is reflected in the large lag time between me getting the info and posting it. I actually even typed it, deleted it and then typed it again. And to be clear, it doesn't reflect my opinion on what will happen. Even if it's not true, I still find that interesting. Let's say Hopkins is 100% the next guy, as many of us believe, why would a huge booster have a different impression? You'd think if you were donating millions to a program, you'd want to have an accurate picture of the program's direction.

Syracusefan when it was announced Hop was the guy- "We don't want Hopkins to take over."

Syracusefan when Hop leaves- "We are in serious trouble, this is a sinking ship."

Never ceases to amaze.
I don't think people are freaking out over Hop leaving. The concern is over what JB is and isn't doing and how that affects us moving forward.

Well this is certainly a blockbuster of an angle if in anyway remotely true.

I'm not saying I know, obviously.

But I spent a career in large organizations and I do understand how they work.

Give me the flaws in this.

1. We were cruising along with Hopkins as the Associate Head Coach, the "Coach in Waiting". It was a done deal. The Succession Plan is in place.
2. Wildhack comes in.
3. JB starts equivocating.
4. Hopkins goes to UW.

I understand that concept. My point is that Syracuse can't let Boeheim stay for 1 year at this point. It either needs to be 3 to 4 years or him retire this year. If they keep the plan the same with him leaving after 1 year then we will be in very bad shape. No assistant coaches would come here for 1 year to only be fired. And no recruit would come here not knowing who the coach would be. Something has to change either Boeheim gone now or stays alot longer. Those are the only two options.
Totally agree. It's not tenable to keep the JB retires after next season scenario.

That's fine and well but where was this urgency earlier in the year? Our problems on the recruiting front didn't begin at 1pm today. If we're to believe the rumors in this thread, then Boeheim has had major disagreements with Hopkins on recruiting and has avoided seeing 2018 prospects.

It looks to me like this was a bit of a power struggle and Boeheim won out. Hopefully, he builds on that win in the manner you suggest.
JB wasn't meeting younger recruiters because he didn't want to get involved with kids he wasn't coaching. Would be my guess.

He needs to up his game now. If he doesn't he will be coaching a crap program. I can be hard on JB but I don't think he is a moron.

Given the results of this year I get the doom and gloom, but this could easily work out well for us.

We need a couple things to happen to make this work. We need a re-energized JB to agree to something like 5 more years, then he needs to get fully engaged on the recruiting trail.

We also need a kick ass recruiter to join the staff and start bringing some top flight kids in.

If we get that, I am beyond happy with this situation.

Personally, I don't care if GMAC stays or goes. It's funny to read posts saying that if Gerry leaves we are screwed. I swore I read about 100 posts saying how Gerry can't recruit to save his life.

I think we have all underestimated how much the sanctions hurt us. JB didn't just suddenly forget how to coach. Coaching gets harder when recruiting gets harder. It's that simple. No sanctions probably means Thomas Bryant is here, and one or two of the guys who transferred out could have stayed here and developed over the last few years. Those two easy possibilities that sanctions eliminated probably would have had us in the tourney this year.

JB is an all time great, and he is still great. This team was done on January 1. This board would have bet their lives on the team winning 4 or less games in conf. JB got that garbage team to basically the first team out of the tournament. Maybe not a miracle, but basically amazing considering where we were.

JB still has it. If he can kick it up in recruiting, we will be exactly where we all expect to be. I love Hopkins, and I hope he is successful, but JB is JB. He's done it before, and I expect he will do it again.

We kind of are.

Not in the Rutgers sense but when compared to our peer schools.

We have a HC who can't hang em up. Our HC in waiting bounced. We've been recruiting like we're Virginia Tech and are a perennial bubble team.

We're getting a shake up. New blood in the program.

Hopkins will be back... Feel bad for Washington to only have a temporary HC

Assistants that know how to coach a zone, correct?

This should be interesting.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the new assistants is Kip Wellman. Current director of basketball ops, was a GA here and coached at W. Kentucky. That is if he's interested in getting back into coaching.

JB can leave whenever he wants.

Of course, he can. Especially if he doesn't care about the program and its future.

But if he does, he pretty much has to stay and allow an orderly transition. That means at least another year and maybe two.

Given the results of this year I get the doom and gloom, but this could easily work out well for us.

We need a couple things to happen to make this work. We need a re-energized JB to agree to something like 5 more years, then he needs to get fully engaged on the recruiting trail.

We also need a kick ass recruiter to join the staff and start bringing some top flight kids in.

If we get that, I am beyond happy with this situation.

Personally, I don't care if GMAC stays or goes. It's funny to read posts saying that if Gerry leaves we are screwed. I swore I read about 100 posts saying how Gerry can't recruit to save his life.

I think we have all underestimated how much the sanctions hurt us. JB didn't just suddenly forget how to coach. Coaching gets harder when recruiting gets harder. It's that simple. No sanctions probably means Thomas Bryant is here, and one or two of the guys who transferred out could have stayed here and developed over the last few years. Those two easy possibilities that sanctions eliminated probably would have had us in the tourney this year.

JB is an all time great, and he is still great. This team was done on January 1. This board would have bet their lives on the team winning 4 or less games in conf. JB got that garbage team to basically the first team out of the tournament. Maybe not a miracle, but basically amazing considering where we were.

JB still has it. If he can kick it up in recruiting, we will be exactly where we all expect to be. I love Hopkins, and I hope he is successful, but JB is JB. He's done it before, and I expect he will do it again.

Gmac can go, not sure it's that big a deal if he did.

We're getting a shake up. New blood in the program.
I want to love this but new blood is being transfused into a HC with a year or so left. How is that possibly effective for the long term?

Either JB stays on for 5 more years and is a completely new coach or he needs to step away. The in-between is a temporary program killer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom