Big Game Today | Syracusefan.com

Big Game Today

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
The Coach Brown rebuild was supposed to take a couple of years to happen. Three or four. Two if we were incredibly fortunate and got a lot of breaks.

But here we are with a chance to beat GT today at home and have a chance to become the most talked about* program in the ACC, where pundits will all start talking about how we have a legit chance to win the ACC and got to the college football playoffs (over-reaction syndrome strikes again)

This game is a great chance to take a huge step forward and jump start the Coach Brown era a couple of years ahead of schedule.

It is a big ask. GT is one of the most experience teams in college football. The things they do best on offense (run the ball) are our highness weakness on defense. Their stronger unit (OL) is pitted against what I suspect is our weakest (DL).

You could see confusion from the defense last night. Even with oit most experienced players. It is hard to install a new scheme. It usually takes a year or so to get it running g right.

Ans while the offense looked good last week, that is also a new scheme and we should expect growing pains and issues this year. Especially as the quality of the opposition improves.

There is no doubt in my mind that GT is going to move the ball and get a ton of yards and time of possession. They will surely hash us for some long passing plays as well.

I think the only way we can win this game is to also put up a ton of points and make this game into a high scoring shootout.

GT looked good on defense against FSU and even to some extent against Georgia State. But what happens when they have to defend a balanced offense that can run the ball and pass it? Can they handle it?
This was a bad unit last year. They haven’t added a lot of difference makers to their defense but they did add respected DC Tyler Santucci. He and his unit will be tested more fully today than they have so far this year. Hopefully Jeff Nixon can find some weaknesses. So far, GT has done a poor job rushing the passer, which bodes really well for us today.

There are a lot of recruits here for the game. Some big time names are interested but want to see results in the field. Today is a chance to show them Syracuse is legit.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we lose 35-10. Or win 38-35. I am sure sure how good Syracuse is and frankly, I am not sure how good GT is too after that BC game Monday.

If nothing else, this game will be interesting to see what is real and what is an illusion from the often crazy results from the first weeks of college football.

Let the craziness continue!

IMG_3397.jpeg

*=in a positive way. We all know who is the most talked about program in the ACC in a negative way).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom