Big Men | Syracusefan.com

Big Men

SWC75

Bored Historian
I see Kaminski get the ball in the block, dibble around a guy and put in a reverse lay up.

Is he so more physically talented than out big men that he can do that but our guys can't?

Perhaps. We recruit length over skill so it's no surprise when other programs have an assortment of kids with skills we don't see quite as often.

Good question, since Arinze and Jackson graduated we haven't had a center with any skills. thought they could develop while at the 'cuse but it doesn't. It has taken Rak 3 years to get a turn around hook that he now can shoot a couple times a game. Baye never developed any sort of offensive game. I can't believe it's coaching. Maybe it's time to get a center recruit that actually shows some offensive skills before they reach campus. I watched a clip of Thomas Bryant. He actually has some moves around the basket. He looks very comfortable taking a few dribbles to the hoop and has some moves when he is down low.

I see Kaminski get the ball in the block, dibble around a guy and put in a reverse lay up.

Is he so more physically talented than out big men that he can do that but our guys can't?

Part of the problem may be our mediocre perimeter offense. The area underneath the basket is usually crowded. Entry passes are an adventure. As a result the bigs get relatively few touches in a position to score. When they do get touches near the basket, they encounter a mob waiting for them.

Good question, since Arinze and Jackson graduated we haven't had a center with any skills. thought they could develop while at the 'cuse but it doesn't. It has taken Rak 3 years to get a turn around hook that he now can shoot a couple times a game. Baye never developed any sort of offensive game. I can't believe it's coaching. Maybe it's time to get a center recruit that actually shows some offensive skills before they reach campus. I watched a clip of Thomas Bryant. He actually has some moves around the basket. He looks very comfortable taking a few dribbles to the hoop and has some moves when he is down low.

Why do you say "It can't be the coaching"? Who else is supposed to be teaching these kids?

Why do you say "It can't be the coaching"? Who else is supposed to be teaching these kids?
Good point, I think since Bernie left we have been lacking any consistent scoring/play/improvement from our bigs. Feb went from bust to a player who could control the paint with Bernie as his coach. I don't know if Fab did it on his own or if Bernie had something to do with Fab's improvement. Based on what Fab is doing now, I think Bernie may have had something to do with it.
Hop may be a great recruiter, however I'm not impressed with his tenure coaching the bigs.

Rak had some crafty moments around the rim this season that resulted in buckets.

Boggles my mind that we don't make the effort to get our best big ten shots a game, but what do I know.

capeorange said:
Good point, I think since Bernie left we have been lacking any consistent scoring/play/improvement from our bigs. Feb went from bust to a player who could control the paint with Bernie as his coach. I don't know if Fab did it on his own or if Bernie had something to do with Fab's improvement. Based on what Fab is doing now, I think Bernie may have had something to do with it. Hop may be a great recruiter, however I'm not impressed with his tenure coaching the bigs.

It matter what you have to work with. Rak came in with less than zero offense. Keita even less.

Exactly. If a kid comes in raw with supposedly no offensive skills, the coaches are paid to help these kids develop some semblance of an offensive game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom