Big move for Rutgers... | Syracusefan.com

Big move for Rutgers...

supp

Hall of Fame
Footballscoop is reporting that Darrell Wilson is leaving Iowa for Rutgers. It'll be even harder to recruit Jersey now.

Yikes, huge get for them. Man, he will lock down Jersey even more for Rutty.

FYI, Rutgers failed to land any of the top 8 prospects in NJ in the class of 2013.

FYI, Rutgers failed to land any of the top 8 prospects in NJ in the class of 2013.
One site has them with the #5 and # 9 rated kids from the state though. Get your point though...def not locking down the state.

I meant generally harder in that one of our prime competitors in the state has another leg up on us---not that they were cleaning up before and now they're really going to clean up. Wilson had a tough job recruiting NJ kids to Iowa but he did it very, very well. I didn't realize he was available. We would have done well to hire him.

Guy is a career position coach, what's he going to do for them?

Rvls gives him credit for recruiting John raymon to Iowa

Im in the camp that we need to hire a hot shot recruiter for the east. It is simply crazy if we dont. Sure it is great to get guys from the midwest and from Florida but we also need strong ties in our own back yard.

Im in the camp that we need to hire a hot shot recruiter for the east. It is simply crazy if we dont. Sure it is great to get guys from the midwest and from Florida but we also need strong ties in our own back yard.
I think we missed the boat if they are still interviewing.

I think we missed the boat if they are still interviewing.
Agreed.. surprises me somewhat that it's taking this long to fill the last spot... Can't think of anything which would hold up an announcement, so it's bizzare.

Agreed.. surprises me somewhat that it's taking this long to fill the last spot... Can't think of anything which would hold up an announcement, so it's bizzare.
Wasn't it posted here that HCSS may have identified his man but is waiting for him to negotiate his way out of his current contract?

i think he's actually been named Rutgers secondary coach.

What's the story on Lester Erb these days?

Wasn't it posted here that HCSS may have identified his man but is waiting for him to negotiate his way out of his current contract?
Missed that one. Thanks!

I also saw speculation on if it was an NFL guy, they may have to wait until a certain date to announce due to some sort of pension eligibility/accruel credit requirements.

I also saw speculation on if it was an NFL guy, they may have to wait until a certain date to announce due to some sort of pension eligibility/accruel credit requirements.
Might be similar to the Casullo situation with DM.

I did post that. Heard again just this week that that person is confirmed and should be announced soon. No idea if it is a NFL or college situation.

Footballscoop is reporting that Darrell Wilson is leaving Iowa for Rutgers. It'll be even harder to recruit Jersey now.
No offese, no pun intended here, we went from having 4 NJ committs in 2010, to 2 in 2011, down to 1 in 2012, amd the big goose egg, notta, zero or whatever you want to call it for 2013 in the state of NJ, unless we give Mith Kimble an honarable mention being from JERSEYVILLE, IL. How, frankly speaking, is it getting much harder? Can't get much worse. We had 12 official offers, maybe more behind the scenes, and went 0 for 12. UNC got 3 recruits from NJ! There were a total of 61 NJ recruits this year, 2 star or better, and as far as I could see, we really didn't have a chance at any of them.

No offese, no pun intended here, we went from having 4 NJ committs in 2010, to 2 in 2011, down to 1 in 2012, amd the big goose egg, notta, zero or whatever you want to call it for 2013 in the state of NJ, unless we give Mith Kimble an honarable mention being from JERSEYVILLE, IL. How, frankly speaking, is it getting much harder? Can't get much worse. We had 12 official offers, maybe more behind the scenes, and went 0 for 12. UNC got 3 recruits from NJ! There were a total of 61 NJ recruits this year, 2 star or better, and as far as I could see, we really didn't have a chance at any of them.

I assume you heard this in the recruiting meetings with the new staff ;)?

Not ragging on you, but we have no idea how Jersey will shake out over the next bunch of years. Too many variables. New staff being the major variable.

Not ragging on you, but we have no idea how Jersey will shake out over the next bunch of years. Too many variables. New staff being the major variable.
100% agree, and I wasn't ragging on the author either. It is most definitley a variable, but I think one take home is it couldn't be much worse than the last couple of years.

We aren't doing any better in NJ in basketball either. I think we got our first guy out of the state in I think the last 10 years, but a heck of a good one so it seems. But, NYC is where you want to recruit in BB.

100% agree, and I wasn't ragging on the author either. It is most definitley a variable, but I think one take home is it couldn't be much worse than the last couple of years.

For sure. I hope our last coach has some NJ ties or McDonalds able to put some time in.

For sure. I hope our last coach has some NJ ties or McDonalds able to put some time in.

Pure speculation on my part but I've always had the sense that you had to be one of "their" guys to recruit the tristate area. It's harder to build connections there than it is, let's say, in PA or even in Upstate NY (that's why I'm not so worried about Noye and the early Rutgers offer). You have to be from the tristate area, to have coached there, and/or grew up with the coaches and maybe even grew up the recruit's parents (!) to seemingly be able to connect with any recruits and coaches from down there. It's a closed-off group and I don't think we see that so much in the other big recruiting states. Sure, connections are important everywhere but building connections from scratch for tristate recruiting seems to be almost impossible. I think we've seen that time and again in the past with Deleone in his prime, Salgado (who got us Hogue and Legree), and Anselmo/Marrone---so maybe it's not so much speculation!

Wilson was a perfect fit for us. Hafley would be great too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom