Bigger rivalry SU-Gtown or SU-UConn | Syracusefan.com

Bigger rivalry SU-Gtown or SU-UConn

Bigger Rival

• Syracuse-UConn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alsacs

Living Legend
Please, answer this question for scientific purposes, and I promise I won't be the one to ask this question again.

All snarkiness aside, it's Georgetown. When Calhoun was there and UConn was in its heyday, it was more of a question. These days, I really dont think close.

I think it's a generational thing. I know SU has a rich history of hatred for Georgetown. But as a 24-yr old who never got to witness the great Georgetown/SU battles of the 80s, I hate UCONN more. UCONN has been a far better program than georgetown for as long as I've been an SU fan and lately UCONN has provided more rivalry-building games/incidents.

There's no issue here.

G-town is the ARCH-RIVAL!
My hatred of them provides daily purpose for being.
They serve no other useful function on this planet.

UConn is a rival.
The program has had great success.
I don't care for them.
I want to beat them.
We've had some terrific battles.
But I'm not sick to my stomach if the final buzzer happens to sound before we score more points than they do.

(And look at me talking as if this divine college basketball plan still exists).

I think it's a generational thing. I know SU has a rich history of hatred for Georgetown. But as a 24-yr old who never got to witness the great Georgetown/SU battles of the 80s, I hate UCONN more. UCONN has been a far better program than georgetown for as long as I've been an SU fan and lately UCONN has provided more rivalry-building games/incidents.

You're right, it's absolutely generational. I was born in 1982, and started to take SU basketball extremely seriously around 1993-1994ish, which is right when UConn emerged as a national power with Donyell Marshall and Georgetown took a step back.

I don't have nearly the level of hatred for Georgetown that people in their 40s and older have, which is completely understandable as I wasn't old enough to watch those super dirty Hoya teams of the mid-1980s.

This.

First to answer the original question, Georgetown is the bigger rival. That said I think the Georgetown rivalry got a shot in the arm recently with us leaving the Big East and all the nostaglia that goes with that. But for the younger crowd here (say 30 or younger) UConn was the rival. They were better. The Hoyas had a downtime for a bit, and to be fair, so did we. When I was on the Hill, GTown games were on Tuesday nights. They weren't a big deal. UConn was the rival.

I was around for the heyday of the GTown thing and grew up on it. It was a long time ago. UConn has been our main rival for 15-20 years at least. Now, we have no rivals until the Ville gets to the ACC.

For those who lived through the 1980's, the rival is Georgetown. UConn wasn't even a factor usually.

The later rivalry with UConn, even at its zenith, lacked the "heat" of the Georgetown rivalry.

To be in the Carrier Dome in the 1980's when JT Jr led his team onto the floor was a scary experience. A wave of intense dislike cascading down onto the court.'

I always believed that JT Jr would have never uttered "Manley Fieldhouse is officially closed" in hindsight.

Georgetown.

When calhoun was in town, UCONN.

For those who lived through the 1980's, the rival is Georgetown. UConn wasn't even a factor usually.

The later rivalry with UConn, even at its zenith, lacked the "heat" of the Georgetown rivalry.

To be in the Carrier Dome in the 1980's when JT Jr led his team onto the floor was a scary experience. A wave of intense dislike cascading down onto the court.'

I always believed that JT Jr would have never uttered "Manley Fieldhouse is officially closed" in hindsight.

Just to put a capper on it, Old John tried to mouth off at the last regular season game when they kicked our butts down in DC. Calhoun would never do that. And we went and paid them back at the Garden, and Jimmy fired off a line of his own. He even said before the game, "I like John now, but I didn't like what he said" after they beat us. Don't think for a minute that the UConn rivalry has ever been close to what the Georgetown rivalry was. Not for a minute.

And don't be surprised if we don't play them for a LOOOOONG time after that bit of poor sportsmanship on their part down in DC. They need us a lot more than we need them.

All snarkiness aside, it's Georgetown. When Calhoun was there and UConn was in its heyday, it was more of a question. These days, I really dont think close.

With Napier coming back, UCONN is a legit final four team next year.

And if Ollie continues to recruit like he has, UCONN ain't going anywhere.

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with one of your posts.

And if he continues to recruit like he has, UCONN ain't going anywhere.

Until the whole conference thing catches up and recruiting starts taking a hit.

Sent using my Commodore 64

How is Ollie going to sell recruits on those trips to Houston, SMU, ECU, UCF, USF, Tulsa and Tulane? Memphis, Cincy and Temple are nice enough programs, but this isn't like recruiting the Big East.

Bazz/Calhoun/Daniels will be a monster trio. I still think Boatright hurts more than he helps. Big question is your big men.

Don't think you're a legit Final Four team until Nolan/Brimah/Wolf/Olander/Facey prove that they are solid.

who'd he get? kentan facey hahaha

All hatred aside I don't get why Uconn was the one who got the shaft. They went to a BCS football bowl recently and won an NC recently, why did they get the perennial shaft. Now after that .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom