Bigger rivalry SU-Gtown or SU-UConn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bigger rivalry SU-Gtown or SU-UConn

Bigger Rival

• Syracuse-UConn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
And if Ollie continues to recruit like he has, UCONN ain't going anywhere.
yep, that 38th ranked class has you guys breathing down TCU's neck . . .

back on topic: it's a tough choice for me. I dislike Georgetown, but I actually came to admire Calhoun. So, what makes a better rival - a school you dislike and want to crush, or one you respect and look forward to the competition?

For that reason, I am going to miss UConn a lot more than Georgetown, so I guess they get my vote.

Just to put a capper on it, Old John tried to mouth off at the last regular season game when they kicked our butts down in DC. Calhoun would never do that. And we went and paid them back at the Garden, and Jimmy fired off a line of his own. He even said before the game, "I like John now, but I didn't like what he said" after they beat us. Don't think for a minute that the UConn rivalry has ever been close to what the Georgetown rivalry was. Not for a minute.

And don't be surprised if we don't play them for a LOOOOONG time after that bit of poor sportsmanship on their part down in DC. They need us a lot more than we need them.

Having gotten a steady dose of JT Jr here in DC for many 7 years, my opinion is that he never says anything without an angle. He's isn't smart, but he is crafty.

My guess is that his motivation was to throw some logs on the SU fire hoping for some games in the future.

Georgetown's schedule in the future lacks any really big games with real fan appeal. John was trying to stoke the fires looking for the controversy to drive demand for an SU v. GU series.

I don't think Boeheim will schedule them. But that doesn't keep GU from trying.

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with one of your posts.

Ha!

Well even a blind squirrel finds an acorn some times.

Where would you guess getting UConn fans to agree with me or to like what I have to say is on my list of priorities?

Actually as one of the graybeards on here. UConn never really registered as a rival. Just another team on the schedule except for the 6 OT game.

That's like asking, "better ball player Tim Duncan or Louie McCroskey?"

I think it's a generational thing. I know SU has a rich history of hatred for Georgetown. But as a 24-yr old who never got to witness the great Georgetown/SU battles of the 80s, I hate UCONN more. UCONN has been a far better program than georgetown for as long as I've been an SU fan and lately UCONN has provided more rivalry-building games/incidents.

And if your were born a few weeks ago you would think our rival was 'ville. This is not generational. It is the Hoyas. Period. Our rivalry with GT is the only one mentioned in the same breath w Duke-UNC.

Having gotten a steady dose of JT Jr here in DC for many 7 years, my opinion is that he never says anything without an angle. He's isn't smart, but he is crafty.

My guess is that his motivation was to throw some logs on the SU fire hoping for some games in the future.

Georgetown's schedule in the future lacks any really big games with real fan appeal. John was trying to stoke the fires looking for the controversy to drive demand for an SU v. GU series.

I don't think Boeheim will schedule them. But that doesn't keep GU from trying.

I read a book years ago about the Big East that had an anecdote in it about JT2. When he first arrived at Georgetown, they found a banner displayed in the gym that said "N-word GO HOME" (or something similar, N-word being the key thing). The campus was outraged and it completely galvanized support for JT. Everything was now on the right track for him to succeed with the blessings of the, lets say, lighter tones of the general GTown community.

Turns out, he was the one who put the sign up.

All the time we played in the BE there was only one team I always rooted against, no matter who they were playing. George fn Town.

You already know the answer to this question:

Georgetown.

People who say UCONN are the same group who wonder why they can't root for Indiana.

44cuse

yep, that 38th ranked class has you guys breathing down TCU's neck . . .

back on topic: it's a tough choice for me. I dislike Georgetown, but I actually came to admire Calhoun. So, what makes a better rival - a school you dislike and want to crush, or one you respect and look forward to the competition?

For that reason, I am going to miss UConn a lot more than Georgetown, so I guess they get my vote.

Dislike and want to crush. All day. :)

I want GTown to lose every game possible.

44cuse

I read a book years ago about the Big East that had an anecdote in it about JT2. When he first arrived at Georgetown, they found a banner displayed in the gym that said "N-word GO HOME" (or something similar, N-word being the key thing). The campus was outraged and it completely galvanized support for JT. Everything was now on the right track for him to succeed with the blessings of the, lets say, lighter tones of the general GTown community.

Wow... Didn't think I could dislike Big John anymore. Kinda clever, though.

With Napier coming back, UCONN is a legit final four team next year.

And if Ollie continues to recruit like he has, UCONN ain't going anywhere.

You're going to Dallas and Houston and Orlando!!! Awesome!!!! :rolling:

You're right, it's absolutely generational. I was born in 1982, and started to take SU basketball extremely seriously around 1993-1994ish, which is right when UConn emerged as a national power with Donyell Marshall and Georgetown took a step back.

I don't have nearly the level of hatred for Georgetown that people in their 40s and older have, which is completely understandable as I wasn't old enough to watch those super dirty Hoya teams of the mid-1980s.

I was born in 1977 so it's Georgetown for me.

For any of us who were at the Big John era Georgetown games, there is no question who is the most hated. The game he got thrown out was one of the best times I ever had at a Georgetown game.
Another game at the Dome, who the opponent was I can't remember now, but before the Cuse game, we were behind the curtain watching Georgetown get beat in a televised game late in the season. The roar that went up from all of us watching when they went down, must have been shocking to fans on the courtside.

Please, answer this question for scientific purposes, and I promise I won't be the one to ask this question again.
Georgetown. UConn is a close second, but there were more meaningful and memorable games overall against the Hoyas.

Yup.

The sign called him a "N Flop".

The guy is an evil mastermind.

No one will ever be able to convince me that he didn't put Craig Esherick in that job as a placeholder for his son, JT III.

He completely cowed the Jesuits. Of course, this was right in the Jesuits wheelhouse since JT Jr brought what they thought was social justice AND money to the University.

John Thompson Jr also had the National Press afraid to even allude to the obvious.

In the 1980's the Big East gained the reputation as a "rough house" conference. There were fights frequently or at least minor conflagrations that bordered on fights.

But the fact was that almost everyone of those games with these skirmishes involved one team, Georgetown. They were the constant factor. I never saw an SU team get into it with any other team. But I watched or read about Georgetown in fights with SU, St John's, Villanova and just about any other team that didn't allow them to bully their way to a win.

It was disgraceful. But the National press and the Big East commentators would rather cut their own tongues out than to even suggest that this all black team with a black coach was the source of all the violence and fighting in the conference.They knew they would be called "Racist" the very next day by the GU press machine.

My dream during this period was that during one of these near brawls that JT Jr himself would also get out on the court and start throwing punches in front of a national TV audience so that the press would finally have to call it for what it was.

You gotta hand it to the guy for pure manipulation of a spineless Press. Who else could storm off the court as a protest against have any academic qualifications whatsoever? And be treated as a hero?

John Thompson Jr also had the National Press afraid to even allude to the obvious.

In the 1980's the Big East gained the reputation as a "rough house" conference. There were fights frequently or at least minor conflagrations that bordered on fights.

But the fact was that almost everyone of those games with these skirmishes involved one team, Georgetown. They were the constant factor. I never saw an SU team get into it with any other team. But I watched or read about Georgetown in fights with SU, St John's, Villanova and just about any other team that didn't allow them to bully their way to a win.

It was disgraceful. But the National press and the Big East commentators would rather cut their own tongues out than to even suggest that this all black team with a black coach was the source of all the violence and fighting in the conference.They knew they would be called "Racist" the very next day by the GU press machine.

My dream during this period was that during one of these near brawls that JT Jr himself would also get out on the court and start throwing punches in front of a national TV audience so that the press would finally have to call it for what it was.

You gotta hand it to the guy for pure manipulation of a spineless Press. Who else could storm off the court as a protest against have any academic qualifications whatsoever? And be treated as a hero?

Allen Iverson burned through 200 million bucks and has a major drinking problem, and I haven't seen anything from Georgetown to at least publically help the guy out.

As the saying goes, "My favorite teams are Syracuse and whoever is playing Georgetown.".

Allen Iverson burned through 200 million bucks and has a major drinking problem, and I haven't seen anything from Georgetown to at least publically help the guy out.

How would you suggest GU help him? More money isn't the answer as that's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Spiritual guidance? Yeah, right.

When AI was in his last semester at GU he had a Mercedes 500 he tooled around campus in.

When asked about this, a GU representative said that Allen needed a car to visit his sick mother in Norfolk.

Finally, some columnist in the WaPo asked the obvious question, "Well, wouldn't a Taurus be as effective?"

Up until that point no one in the press (print or media) had so much as suggested this was outrageous either out of habit or because they didn't want to get the "racist" invective thrown at them.

Iverson was a convicted of a felony and was in prison until he got a very strange pardon from Doug Wilder. So it's not as if GU didn't know what they were getting.

At one point when he was in Phila, he had locked his naked wife out of the house on a very cold night. I guess the neighbors complained and it made the papers after the cops showed up.

AI is just another of a long list of hoodlums with guys like Ed Sheffey, who was caught by police carrying a Bowie knife. I guess he needed it as a letter opener for fan mail.

How would you suggest GU help him? More money isn't the answer as that's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Spiritual guidance? Yeah, right.

When AI was in his last semester at GU he had a Mercedes 500 he tooled around campus in.

When asked about this, a GU representative said that Allen needed a car to visit his sick mother in Norfolk.

Finally, some columnist in the WaPo asked the obvious question, "Well, wouldn't a Taurus be as effective?"

Up until that point no one in the press (print or media) had so much as suggested this was outrageous either out of habit or because they didn't want to get the "racist" invective thrown at them.

Iverson was a convicted of a felony and was in prison until he got a very strange pardon from Doug Wilder. So it's not as if GU didn't know what they were getting.

At one point when he was in Phila, he had locked his naked wife out of the house on a very cold night. I guess the neighbors complained and it made the papers after the cops showed up.

AI is just another of a long list of hoodlums with guys like Ed Sheffey, who was caught by police carrying a Bowie knife. I guess he needed it as a letter opener for fan mail.

I know all of that.

Our guys have a strong network, clearly some of our kids messed up along the way, but SU finds ways to help.

With AI, and in this town, they clearly have the resources to mentor him, clean him up, put him in some hoop situations to succeed, etc.

Instead you see the old man walking around with Zo and Ewing and Mutumbo - guys who have their acts together - but you don't hear of any help to the more troubled kids he had.

I understand the sentiment that Georgetown is our greatest rival, but if you compile a list of the top ten GU/SU rivalry moments lmost all of them would be from the 80's...and I started getting into SU in 1995.

So for me it's Uconn. But in ten years it might be Lville.

For me this seems like a trick question. It may just be the internet age, but for me it seems like SU's biggest rival is Duke. The series with GTown is over. It's an interesting period piece. GTown and UConn have already started to move into the St Bonnie and Niagara category. Good fun heated rivals for their time, like when the Big East was a dominant conference. We are in the far superior conference, and have the better players.

Duke is already big. The debate over the Duke court configuration isn't based on whether 50k will turn out. Every game will be big and have Conference and Tournament implications. And everyone knows it right now. It's not a stretch to speculate that the game will sell out in record time. Anticipation for this game will be unmatched.

For me this seems like a trick question. It may just be the internet age, but for me it seems like SU's biggest rival is Duke. The series with GTown is over. It's an interesting period piece. GTown and UConn have already started to move into the St Bonnie and Niagara category. Good fun heated for their time, like when the Big East was a dominant conference. We are in the far superior conference, and have the better players.

Duke is already big. The debate over the Duke court configuration isn't based on whether 50k will turn out. Every game will be big and have Conference and Tournament implications. And everyone knows it right now. It's not a stretch to speculate that the game will sell out in record time. Anticipation for this game will be unmatched.
Let's play Duke once before we call them our biggest rivalry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom