Bigger rivalry SU-Gtown or SU-UConn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bigger rivalry SU-Gtown or SU-UConn

Bigger Rival

• Syracuse-UConn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Let's play Duke once before we call them our biggest rivalry.

Why? It's not who was our biggest rival. It is who "is" our biggest rival. And who is bigger right now than the team that could get the largest crowd, quickest sell-out, highest resale value for a ticket.

What game would you most like to go to next year? Or in the foreseeable future? The Duke games will all have Conference and NCAAT implications.

Every game will be a huge game. People will be reluctant to call them our biggest rival because the tag is not reciprocated. I can understand that. But the most anticipated game of the season means something.

Why? It's not who was our biggest rival. It is who "is" our biggest rival. And who is bigger right now than the team that could get the largest crowd, quickest sell-out, highest resale value for a ticket.

What game would you most like to go to next year? Or in the foreseeable future? The Duke games will all have Conference and NCAAT implications.

Every game will be a huge game. People will be reluctant to call them our biggest rival because the tag is not reciprocated. I can understand that. But the most anticipated game of the season means something.
Rivalries have to be a 2 way street, Duke will not consider us a rival for some time. Georgetown is our greatest rival and will be for the reasonable future. Texas-Texas A&M aren't playing Kansas-Missouri aren't playing and Louisville-Kentucky went like 30 years without playing and those teams still have rivalries. UConn filled a void, but I wouldn't consider them a greater rival than Georgetown nor will Duke till we develop that 2 way rivalry.

I know all of that.

Our guys have a strong network, clearly some of our kids messed up along the way, but SU finds ways to help.

With AI, and in this town, they clearly have the resources to mentor him, clean him up, put him in some hoop situations to succeed, etc.

Instead you see the old man walking around with Zo and Ewing and Mutumbo - guys who have their acts together - but you don't hear of any help to the more troubled kids he had.

No, you are right.

And add to that the very long list of players they ran off because of academic, disciplinary or basketball reasons, the number of people they give a shxt about is very small by comparison.

JT Jr was a ruthless SOB and if you listen to him, he so much as admits it. All the compassion he feels ought to come from you-know-who.

Rivalries have to be a 2 way street, Duke will not consider us a rival for some time. Georgetown is our greatest rival and will be for the reasonable future. Texas-Texas A&M aren't playing Kansas-Missouri aren't playing and Louisville-Kentucky went like 30 years without playing and those teams still have rivalries. UConn filled a void, but I wouldn't consider them a greater rival than Georgetown nor will Duke till we develop that 2 way rivalry.

Alsacs ... you apparently didn't get the memo. Georgetown is gone. Finito. Over.

Even if we do play them OOC, its just and OOC game. The rivalry is finished.

Exactly, this is why Louisville is our new rival moving forward. Duke? Not right now. Some serious stuff is going to have to go down along with some dramatic or season making/breaking games before either side will consider each other rivals.

Exactly, this is why Louisville is our new rival moving forward. Duke? Not right now. Some serious stuff is going to have to go down along with some dramatic or season making/breaking games before either side will consider each other .
But LVille will always have UK. Maybe, SU won't have the traditional rivalry thing going. Just Big games each year.

I don't know if SU will keep the old rivals alive. It doesn't seem worth it for UConn. Maybe GTown but I think that will die down.

But LVille will always have UK. Maybe, SU won't have the traditional rivalry thing going. Just Big games each year.

I don't know if SU will keep the old alive. It doesn't seem worth it for UConn. Maybe GTown but I think that will die down.

But we had GTown and many still considered UConn a rival (maybe even bigger one than GT) over the past 15 years at least. I think there is room for a conference rivalry on Louisville's part. They beat us 6 in a row including when we were #1 and we just beat them in their only home game as #1 in program history (as part of our own 3 game winning streak). We've played them twice for a conference tournament title in the past 4 years. I think we're well on our way.

I think it's a generational thing. I know SU has a rich history of hatred for Georgetown. But as a 24-yr old who never got to witness the great Georgetown/SU battles of the 80s, I hate UCONN more. UCONN has been a far better program than georgetown for as long as I've been an SU fan and lately UCONN has provided more rivalry-building games/incidents.
Also 24, and up until 2 or 3 years ago, I would have agreed. Not sure whether its the fact that Calhoun is gone or that Georgetown is playing better basketball (or a combination of both), but I now have more hate for Gtown.

If I'm reading Orange Hoops correctly, 5 of the 10 largest crowds at the Dome have been for Georgetown, and 17 of the plus 30k games have been v the Hoyas. Villanova has two games on the top ten list and has 7 plus 30k games. No other school has more than one top 10 game, while St. John's, Pitt, and UConn also have 7 plus 30k games. If that's any indicator it's Georgetown.

Going forward one would think it'll be an ACC team -- probably Louisville or Pitt. If the school does these 1-1-1 (MSG) games with Villanova regularly maybe it becomes Nova.

#ACC

G'town by a wide margin

with that said in 20 years people will be saying Louisville is our biggest rival and it isn't even close

Just my opinion, and I get why a lot of people ride this G'town thing, but to say its by a wide margin? I don't know about that. The Manley Field quote will always be big, but outside of that and the 80's this rivalry has had more fizzle than bang. From the 90's on there have been some really compelling reasons that Uconn has gained ground. For starts, our decline and their rise will forever be linked with us going on probation and them getting Donyell Marshall. El-Amin single-handedly turned up my dislike for them. We recruit Gay, we think he's coming, he chooses them. We played a 6 OT classic game with them where if you weren't sure there was some kind of rivalry brewing, you got to find out first hand that neither team wanted to lose a game that wasn't for the big east championship. I could go on, but to just say, "O it's g'town and it's not even close", I just don't see it. JTIII teams don't play the same as his fathers and his personality doesn't match either. To me they are slightly better than the Esherick days and as a result this rivalry is more in name than substance.

Just my opinion, and I get why a lot of people ride this G'town thing, but to say its by a wide margin? I don't know about that. The Manley Field quote will always be big, but outside of that and the 80's this rivalry has had more fizzle than bang. From the 90's on there have been some really compelling reasons that Uconn has gained ground. For starts, our decline and their rise will forever be linked with us going on probation and them getting Donyell Marshall. El-Amin single-handedly turned up my dislike for them. We recruit Gay, we think he's coming, he chooses them. We played a 6 OT classic game with them where if you weren't sure there was some kind of rivalry brewing, you got to find out first hand that neither team wanted to lose a game that wasn't for the big east championship. I could go on, but to just say, "O it's g'town and it's not even close", I just don't see it. JTIII teams don't play the same as his fathers and his personality doesn't match either. To me they are slightly better than the Esherick days and as a result this rivalry is more in name than substance.
If you saw the games in the '80s-'90s, you might appreciate the depths of dislike for Georgetown. No team, coach or players have approached that hate since.

If you saw the games in the '80s-'90s, you might appreciate the depths of dislike for Georgetown. No team, coach or players have approached that hate since.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. Someone who wasn't around in the 1980's is probably not going to understand the difference in the "heat" between the US rivalry with Georgetown and all others.

Heck, if you just became a fan 2 years ago, it might look to you that Louisville was our rival.

How is Ollie going to sell recruits on those trips to Houston, SMU, ECU, UCF, USF, Tulsa and Tulane? Memphis, Cincy and Temple are nice enough programs, but this isn't like recruiting the Big East.

I think UCONN has enough credibility in NYC to continue to get recruits.

We are scheduling like crazy OOC so we will have some good games.

Ollie is a hard worker. Extremely hard worker. He is a high character guy.

It looks like 2014 could be a big class for us.

Bottomline - if Ollie can recruit, we'll stay at a high level. I think he can, but we'll see.

I think UCONN has enough credibility in NYC to continue to get recruits.

We are scheduling like crazy OOC so we will have some good games.

Ollie is a hard worker. Extremely hard worker. He is a high character guy.

It looks like 2014 could be a big class for us.

Bottomline - if Ollie can recruit, we'll stay at a high level. I think he can, but we'll see.
Well duh, that's the whole point.

If any school can recruit, they can be a big time program.

I mean Ollie's first class is ranked behind TCU...

Well duh, that's the whole point.

If any school can recruit, they can be a big time program.

I mean Ollie's first class is ranked behind TCU...

I am talking more about his ability as a recruiter than the situation UCONN is in.

I give Ollie a pass on this class with the post-season ban and the fact he didn't have a contract.

If Memphis can get players, UCONN can get players.

If we win a NC next year, it will go a long way to help :)

The entire team is back and DD is about to emerge as an super-elite player. Bazz is already elite.

80's- Georgetown, with a powerful echo after that.

90's 00's- UCONN, but not as passionate.

10's: Louisville

For me this seems like a trick question. It may just be the internet age, but for me it seems like SU's biggest rival is Duke. The series with GTown is over.

Randy is that you? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom