Bill O'Brien | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bill O'Brien

Had P not been a disaster the last few seasons at UConn, I wonder if he'd get a sniff. Probably not, but worth a thought.

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think PSU will have an issue getting someone they want. The way our society works, people/media have a short memory. PSU's issues are behind them. Best we haters can hope for is losing BOB so late in the recruiting cycle might open a chance for schools like SU to poach.

It seems that the only thing that society remembers well is how bad we were for a 10 year stretch.

Different opinions are fine. I've been around here long enough to know there is a 99% chance every single one of my beliefs will have a counter belief from someone on this board, and that's not a bad thing. Makes for a better person.

That said, all this talk of SU beating PSU if only had started Hunt is nonsense. PSU didn't play their best player for a whole half, a player that will play in the NFL. And he played really well against a porous SU defensive backfield. If he had played the entire game, he would have gone for 200+ yards. SU lost and that's that.

I stated this log ago. Robinson was a beast in the second half. Who knows how many catches, yards and td's he would have had in a full game.

I stated this log ago. Robinson was a beast in the second half. Who knows how many catches, yards and td's he would have had in a full game.
He didn't have enough impact for them to win at Minny.

I know PSU will get a better coach but do they deserve better?

Mike Munchak will again be high on Penn State's list. The job was his if he wanted it when BOB was hired. It just was not the right time.

Last edited:
jvbj01 said:

I have a hard time with saying this stuff definitively. If Reddish had run it back for a TD? How bout if Allen had thrown one less pick, or Hunt had started? What if we had played Cornelius? On an on.

We were in the game and could have won in the 4th quarter. No ifs about it - you can read the play by play.

I mean its obvious if the Penn State job becomes open Al Golden gets that job and maybe Schiano becomes a player for Miami(Fl). No chance Schiano gets that job unless Golden says no, but I think he would leave Miami for Penn State.

I have a hard time with saying this stuff definitively. If Reddish had run it back for a TD? How bout if Allen had thrown one less pick, or Hunt had started? What if we had played Cornelius? On an on.

We were in the game and could have won in the 4th quarter. No ifs about it - you can read the play by play.

I do think it is safe to say that if they had their best offensive player in the first half, he would have made some type of impact. He made a huge impact in the second half.

He didn't have enough impact for them to win at Minny.

We aren't Minnesota. He played one half against us and went over 100yards receiving. We had a real difficult time slowing him.

I thought you could still hire another NFL head coach if you paid compensation. Did they do away with that totally?
Yep. After the Jon Gruden Oakland to Tampa fiasco. Can't take a coach from another team. Even if you want to trade draft picks for him, buy out his deal...anything. Those days are over

There are even rules now that prevent teams from letting assistants interview for jobs on other teams even if the job is an upgrade. Cincy blocked Kevin Coyle for many years from interviewing for defensive coordinator positions when he was only the secondary coach in Cincy. They finally gave in a couple years ago and let him go to Miami to be there defensive coordinator. Most teams aren't like that, if the job is an upgrade they will let the guy interview and take the job ...but the team doesn't have too if the coach is under contract.

I mean its obvious if the Penn State job becomes open Al Golden gets that job and maybe Schiano becomes a player for Miami(Fl). No chance Schiano gets that job unless Golden says no, but I think he would leave Miami for Penn State.
Al Golden just went through and cleaned up a mess at Miami...not sure he wants another messy task with PSU. Even though O'Brien did most of the work on cleaning up what he was left. Think Golden might sit tight at Miami

I mean this was obvious he is a Belichick disciple he wasn't desperate like Romeo Crennel was when he took the Cleveland Browns job or he didn't betray Belichick like Eric Mangini left for the Jets. When Josh McDaniels left he went to a good job in Denver. O'Brien wasn't leaving Penn State unless it was a good NFL job, and the Houston Texans is by far the best opening unless Coughlin retires which isn't likely.

Schefter tweeted about 15 minutes ago that O'Brien has met with the Texans and they are working on a deal.

It's the best NFL job to come open in 20 years. Nobody will turn it down.

Feel bad for Lovie Smith as he was the early front-runner till O'Brien made it known he was going to the NFL. I could see Lovie in Tenn or Detroit or Tampa if Schiano bolts back to college.

If BOB leaves for the Texans, does Larry Johnson go with him? Calling Thomas Holley...did u see your boy Terrel Hunt last night?

It's the best NFL job to come open in 20 years. Nobody will turn it down.

Feel bad for Lovie Smith as he was the early front-runner till O'Brien made it known he was going to the NFL. I could see Lovie in Tenn or Detroit or Tampa if Schiano bolts back to college.

Lovie needs to go to a team that needs a defensive minded coach like the Vikings.

Lovie needs to go to a team that needs a defensive minded coach like the Vikings.
they just fired a defensive coach in Frazier. I think they will go offensive coach

I haven't really paid attention, has Lovie been mentioned with the UT job at all? He's from Texas, and I'm mainly curious because my boss played high school football and is still friends with Lovie, and he said back in October that he predicted Lovie would be coaching the Longhorns next year.

I haven't really paid attention, has Lovie been mentioned with the UT job at all? He's from Texas, and I'm mainly curious because my boss played high school football and is still friends with Lovie, and he said back in October that he predicted Lovie would be coaching the Longhorns next year.
Lovie isn't going to college to beg kids to play for him and recruit. Not his style. He is an NFL coach all the way

He was mentioned, and I believe I read he interviewed.