Bill Smith story | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bill Smith story

Smith doesn't get talked about often, but my father insists he deserves to be mentioned with Seikaly, Bouie, etc. as the best centers in program history.

He apparently was really, really good -- not just a guy viewed through a historical lens who wouldn't thrive against today's players.

He was ahead of my time, so no memory of him playing -- but I always found that interesting.

Bill wasn't as athletic as Seikaly or Bowie or even Schayes. But he wasn't a stiff, either. I think he's important as one of the players who helped transform SU into a credible program. He could have had a long NBA career as a reserve center if he hadn't gotten injured.

BTW, if anyone is unduly underappreciated when it comes to our rise in the basketball hierarchy, it's Roy Danforth. It was fun to see him out there scrimmaging with his players, and his personality played a key role with those overachieving teams.

Smith wasn't what you'd call a power center. His best moves were up and under, kind of like a college version of a poor man's Kevin McHale. His 47 was only part of the story of that game. Tracy Tripucka for Lafayette had 41. The two went back and forth the entire game. I was in the zoo for that game (of course) and Tripucka was pretty much unstoppable. Nothing inside, all jumpers from the wings. He averaged 26 that year and held the school's all time scoring record (in 3 years) for at least 38 years through 2010. Tripucka's brother Kelly had a 10-year NBA career and his dad Frank was a star at ND and NFL QB. Quite a family.

Also, wasn't it Smith who was at the center of the big fight in a game at WVA? Punched a ref if I recall.

Last edited:
W-wait. You were on Lawrinson 11? I was on Lawrinson 11. But Bill wasn't on 11 when I was there. None of the hoopsters were. Although our RA my sophomore year was former SU captain Bill Case. A tremendously nice guy. He loved the Band, and so did I. We saw 'em at the War Memorial, still one of my all-time fave concerts.

Bill Finney was on Lawrinson 3 rooming with Chuck Wichman for at least 2 years. Chuck was an excellent 6th man. Our softball team was top notch with Chuck (canon arm) at SS and Bill in CF. John Godbolt and Bucky McGill from football also were on that floor.

SU football player Howie Goodman was on Lawrinson 11 when I was there. He was the third baseman for our intramural softball team. He had quite the throwing arm.

Smith doesn't get talked about often, but my father insists he deserves to be mentioned with Seikaly, Bouie, etc. as the best centers in program history.

He apparently was really, really good -- not just a guy viewed through a historical lens who wouldn't thrive against today's players.

He was ahead of my time, so no memory of him playing -- but I always found that interesting.
It was a few years before my time so without any highlights or videos of his play its tough to judge for us 'youngins'.

W-wait. You were on Lawrinson 11? I was on Lawrinson 11. But Bill wasn't on 11 when I was there. None of the hoopsters were. Although our RA my sophomore year was former SU captain Bill Case. A tremendously nice guy. He loved the Band, and so did I. We saw 'em at the War Memorial, still one of my all-time fave concerts.
I was on Lawrinson 11 in 68-69 and 69-70. Smitty was in the corner room nearest Sadler.
Bill Case was a year older.

I was on Lawrinson 11 in 68-69 and 69-70. Smitty was in the corner room nearest Sadler.
Bill Case was a year older.

Hmmm, I was on Lawrinson 11 in 69-70. Bill wasn't on the floor. I remember that one of the people who lived in that corner room you referenced was a cheerleader. They had male cheerleaders back then. Don't know if they still do. I also remember that our RA used to work for the FBI. Wasn't someone we were inclined to invite in to enjoy a little weed...

Hmmm, I was on Lawrinson 11 in 69-70. Bill wasn't on the floor. I remember that one of the people who lived in that corner room you referenced was a cheerleader. They had male cheerleaders back then. Don't know if they still do. I also remember that our RA used to work for the FBI. Wasn't someone we were inclined to invite in to enjoy a little weed...
You must have been there in 70-71 because Smitty was there in 69-70.

You must have been there in 70-71 because Smitty was there in 69-70.

Nope, 69-70. Graduated HS in June of 69, and didn't take a year off. I know he was in Lawrinson b/c I saw him in the cafeteria. But not on 11. I can name a few of the people on 11 that year, and that might make things easier. I'll only do first names: Tony, Roy, Frankie, Allan, Rich (from Little Neck), Rick (from NJ), Danny from Pine Bush, pretty sure the cheerleader's name was Jed or Jeb, Norm, the guitar player from Western Mass who looked like Art Garfunkel, RA's name was John McGahn or something close to it. I'd remember a 6-11 guy if he was on the floor. I'm guessing he moved to a different floor. I'm forgetful, but not THAT forgetful. At least I hope not...

My first game was Bob Dooms, Chris Sease, Rudy Hackett, Jim Lee, Jimmie Williams starting lineup vs Colgate in manley.
Bob Dooms from Sharon, PA with the ugliest Free Throw Shooting form ever, Chris "RocketMan" Sease (Henninger HS?), Rudy Hackett (Mt Vernon, NY), Jim "Seat of his pant's slide" Lee from Kirkwood, NY and Jimmy "Bug" Williams from Buffalo.

Bill Smith's 1970-71 team was the first year I started following SU hoops. Coincidently the start of our great run.

Nope, 69-70. Graduated HS in June of 69, and didn't take a year off. I know he was in Lawrinson b/c I saw him in the cafeteria. But not on 11. I can name a few of the people on 11 that year, and that might make things easier. I'll only do first names: Tony, Roy, Frankie, Allan, Rich (from Little Neck), Rick (from NJ), Danny from Pine Bush, pretty sure the cheerleader's name was Jed or Jeb, Norm, the guitar player from Western Mass who looked like Art Garfunkel, RA's name was John McGahn or something close to it. I'd remember a 6-11 guy if he was on the floor. I'm guessing he moved to a different floor. I'm forgetful, but not THAT forgetful. At least I hope not...
You have something mixed up because I was on Lawrinson 11 in 1968-1969 (room 1102) when Smitty and I were both sophs. I was in corner room 1104 in 1969-1970 when we were juniors. Smitty was in the corner room down the hall both years. I lived off-campus in 1970-1971 when we were seniors, so I don't know where he was that year.

2 years before I was old enough to remember, but I know he is in the pantheon of our goods.
I read all of SWC's stuff for the old timey insight.

Excerpts from my history of my early years of SU basketball rooting, "From the Mists of Time", involving Bill Smith:

"Reading Bud Poliquin’s book, “Tales from the Syracuse Hardwood”, I was reminded of my own early days of rooting for Syracuse University basketball and decided to write up some of my personal memories from that period. One of the players from that period, Bill Smith, says that he has been “lost in the mists of time”. Not to me, he isn’t. But the last part of what he said makes a pretty good title."

" Meanwhile, another great class had been recruited by Fred Lewis and his chief assistant, Roy Danforth. It contained a true “aircraft carrier”, 6-11 Bill Smith, who, according to Sports Illustrated, Lewis “compared favorably to (Lew) Alcindor”, (now known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar). Beside him was a high scoring 6-7 forward, Bob McDaniel and another good prospect, 6-5 Bill Finney. The frosh backcourt contained 6-0 distributor Tom Green and a local product, John Unger, from our high school in North Syracuse. This team averaged 98 points a game, losing only to nationally ranked junior college Broome Tech. Smith scored 21.0 a game and got 13.6 rebounds. McDaniel topped that with 24.8 a game and 16.1 rebs. Finney scored 18.3 with 7.4 rebs. Green averaged 14.0, (I don’t have the assists but they must have been considerable.) Unger averaged 9.0.

Harper, Hicker and Cornwall were seniors but SU was looking at a line-up of Smith at center, surrounded by Ward and McDaniel, with Austin and Green in the backcourt for 1968-69. This was an era when the average center was about 6-7 and the average forward 6-4. We were going to go 6-8, 6-11, 6-7. Take that, Sonny Dove! Our team was going to look like a church, with the large steeple supported by flying buttresses. All you had to do was open the doors of Manley and see all the people who would come to see them. "

"Roy Danforth inherited a mess. Harper, Hicker and Cornwall were gone now. Wayne Ward who had had a decent sophomore season, averaging 13 points and 6 rebounds and shooting 58%, was lost due to academic and legal problems. Ernie Austin who had a poor sophomore season, shooting 37%, was academically ineligible for the first half of the season. Bob McDaniel aced that by flunking out of school, (although he returned for the next season). There were rumors about Bill Smith’s status but he managed to stay eligible. SU’s media guide for 1968-69 says, truthfully, “At the pre-season stage, it is hard to pinpoint a genuine strength.”

"The next year, things were looking up. Smith was back, Austin was available for the whole season and McDaniel had worked his way back into school and was ready to take his place next to Smith. Ward, unfortunately, was gone for good and SU never did adequately fill the other forward position. Tom Green never scored much as a point guard but Smith averaged 20.2 points and 12.4 rebounds, McDaniel 17.8 and 10.6 and Austin 19.3 points a game. SU scored 86.5 for the season. They ripped off wins in their first six games and it looked like the storm clouds were gone. I remember feeling giddy with the 6-0 record, (11 wins in 13 dating back to the end of the previous season) feeling like things were where they belonged. The fever had broken! Bring on the world!

Then the world fell on us. It started with a loss at American U., coached by future Rutgers coach and Boeheim rival Tom Young. SU went on to lose 12 of their final 18 games to finish 12-12. The problem was, this team played no defense. Six different teams scored 100 points vs. SU. Bob McDaniel scored 36 on 18 for 22 shooting and Smith had 28 points and 21 rebounds against LaSalle but we still lost, 101-108. The defensive nadir in SU history was a game vs. Pittsburgh, a team that had been averaging 65 points a game. SU scored 71 points in one half against them- and lost 108-127, the most point s a Syracuse team has ever surrendered in a game. The season ended with a dismal 77-106 loss to Bowling Green.

Bill Smith didn’t play in that game, having slugged a referee, (on Valentine’s Day), in the West Virginia game: http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?section=4945
(From Bud Poliquin’s book, “Tales of the Syracuse Hardwood”: “With 61 seconds left in the game, with Smith having been called for a questionable fifth foul and with Smith insisting that he’d just been slapped in the face by official Herb Young, who’d been offended by the complaining Orangeman’s salty tongue, Smith hauled off an punched the referee. And the joint went up for grabs. “Immediately, there are these two cops, one on each of my arm”, Smith recalled, “But I shake them off and when I do a fan grabs me by my feet and tackles me to the ground. And just like that there must have been 500 people on the court with fistfights like you wouldn’t believe. My mother, father sister and fiancé were there. My dad got the guy who tackled me and was punching him in the face My sister was out there, swinging her purse. Somebody had ripped off my sneaker and was hitting me over the head with it. Greg ‘Kid’ Kohl, who everybody always thought was so mild-mannered, uppercutted one guy once and then he uppercutted him again before the guy decided he’d had enough. It was wild. It was a melee. You really had to see it to believe it.“

I thought he had ended his a career, (Per Bud, Danforth had advised him to leave school and join the Army), but it turned out only to be the end of his season. At the end of the year Bob McDaniel left again, having played only one full year with the varsity. (He played in one game the next year and scored 14 points with rebounds against Buffalo before deciding not to show up for practice and being suspended for good- what a waste!) With both he and Ward gone, the team would be called “Roy’s Runts plus one” the next year. And after Smith graduated, they were only “Roy’s Runts”. That beautiful church steeple with the flying buttresses had collapsed. But we kept the faith and it paid off. We’ve had nothing but winning seasons ever since."

"At the beginning of the 1970-71 season, Bill Smith found himself surrounded by Mike Lee, who was 6-3 and Mark Wadach, who was 6-1. They were the forwards. Tom Green, 5-11, was back at the point. The shooting guard was Greg “Kid” Kohls, 6-1, who had played behind Austin the previous season, averaging only 2.2 points per game. Green had averaged 4.5. Lee and Wadach had been on the freshman team. It wasn’t very promising. But Kohls could shoot. Lee was a good all-around player who averaged 16.7 points and 7.6 rebounds for the frosh. Wadach was a rebounding savant who averaged 12.4/8.6. He’d played on the greatest high school basketball team this area had ever seen, the “Green Machine” of Bishop Ludden, who’d won the state championship poll after going 21-0 in 1968-69. The frosh also supplied Chuck Wichman, a 6-3 160 string bean from Indiana, (I remember people saying that if he’s from Indiana, he must be good). who had averaged 13.7/6/9.

An overtime win over Bob Knight’s last Army team helped but the game I remember was against Lafayette, a troublesome team led by Tracy Tripucka, one of several sons of an athletic family, (Frank Tripucka had been a quarterback at Notre Dame and in the early AFL and Tracy’s brother Kelly was later a star at Notre Dame). Tracy did something I’ve never seen before or since. He scored 7 points in 10 seconds. He drove in for a lay-up, was fouled but scored and went to the line. Roy Danforth drew a bench technical, which was one shot in those days. Tripucka made both free throws for a four-point play and the Leopards inbounded. The ball went to Tripucka who drove to the basket, was fouled and scored. He then made that free throw, (they are free throws when they go in and foul shots when they don’t). This time Danforth kept his mouth shut. Seven points in ten seconds. That’s 42 points a minute and 1,680 points per 40 minutes. Tracy didn’t keep that rate up but he did score 41 while his team got 92 points. But he was the second highest scorer in that game. Bill Smith broke SU’s single game scoring record, topping Dave Bing’s performance vs. Vanderbilt in the Bruin Classic by one with 47 points. More than 30 years later, (now 48), that’s still the SU record.

Smitty was a tall, Ichabod Crane type guy, (6-11 220) who could run the court, hit short jumpers and was able to consistently score over the shorter people that were always guarding him. I think he could play today with another 20-30 pounds on him. He averaged 22.7 as a senior along with 14.5 rebounds. But he’d been doing that for three years. The big revelation was Kid Kohls, who proved a dead-eye long range shooter (46%, along- almost all from outside), and added an extra “zero” to his scoring average, going from 2.2 to 22.0. Mike Lee proved to be an interesting find, scoring 13.5 and getting 8 rebounds a game despite being only 6-3. He was our “power” forward. Wadach, meanwhile was not much of a scorer at 7.1 but he could jump and hustled for 40 minutes, getting 7.1 rebs/game. Green got 5.4 assists a game. There was no depth, so those guys played entire games, (without TV time outs)."

"Two more wins and SU went into the final game vs. Niagara’s Purple Eagles, their big rivalry game at the time, with an 18-6 record. It was rumored that the winner of this game would go to the NIT, which seemed like a pipe dream after what had happened the previous three seasons. Calvin Murphy was gone but Niagara still had an All-America candidate in Marshall Wingate. The two teams battled back and forth for 40 minutes, with the lead changing hands many times. Niagara led 58-59 with about 3 minutes left. Then came an agonizing stretch in which both teams had the ball six straight times without scoring a point. Then, with 20 seconds left, the rarely used reserve from Indiana, Chuck Wichman, who averaged just 3.5 points per game, got the ball and forked his way through the defense for a twisting lay-up that even Joel Mareiness couldn’t find words to describe. Somewhere around here I have a gnarled old audio cassette tape I made off the radio broadcast. I remember Joel describing the very end of the game, when Wingate missed and Smith pulled down the rebound. The fans stormed the court “They’re mobbing the Giant…” I played it over and over so many times it became the family joke. I valued that tape more than any other possession for some time to come."

Excerpts from my history of my early years of SU basketball rooting, "From the Mists of Time", involving Bill Smith:

I love this. Smith, McDaniel, Finney, and Green were in my class of 1971, and I knew all of them. I also remember virtually everything described in your story.

Chuck Wichman: I was there to rush the court. "Wich" way to the NIT? It eventually became "Wich" way to the NIT, Part I, as a similar thing happened the following year (Part II).

I believe it was Wichman that Roy was referring to when he said, "He's harder to catch than a fart in a bag." High praise indeed.

Chuck Wichman: I was there to rush the court. "Wich" way to the NIT? It eventually became "Wich" way to the NIT, Part I, as a similar thing happened the following year (Part II).

"Digger Phelps used his one 26-3 year at Fordham to get the Notre Dame job. But he left behind most of the players who had created that record for new coach Hal Wissel. It was big test for SU, which still was trying to capture national attention. This was my freshman year at SU and I had gotten an early indication of the struggle our community had for recognition. I lived on the seventh floor of Booth Hall. One Saturday morning, I was in the lobby of our floor, looking out over the seeming vast expanse of Syracuse NY. A friend from New York City wandered by and asked me how I was going to spend my day. I told him I might go down city. He asked what flight I was taking. In those days, we weren’t “the ‘Cuse”. We were Syracuse, New York, the state being necessary to designate us from the Syracuses in Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Utah, and, I suppose, Sicily. Beating Fordham would put a small dent in that perception and I walked the mile down to Manley to see if we could do it.

SU led almost the entire game, just had they had in that first game I’d seen five years before against St. John’s. And, just as happened in that game, the big bad team from New York City pulled ahead in the final minute. The Rams had no Sonny Dove but it sure looked like they were going to win. In the grand tradition, SU fans got up in droves to leave. I admit I did too, but I lingered at the door, starring back at the court, which in those days was constructed right on top of the dirt floor the football team used for indoor practice sessions. The vibrations of the players and heat generated by the fans sent fine particles of dirt and dust flowing up to the rafters. The lights illuminated this and created something approximating a dream sequence. SU had somehow gotten back within a single point but there were only a couple of seconds left and a Fordham player was at the line for a one-and-one. He missed. Somebody ripped the ball down for SU and rifled it to midcourt, where a pass was made to a driving Chuck Wichman- the “scrub” who had destroyed Niagara the year before. Wichman made a running lay-up at the buzzer and what was left of the crowd stormed the court. I ran out into the parking lot shouting “WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!”. People looked at me as if I were crazy. They were right but so was I. Chuck Wichman never scored more than 6 points in a game in his career but no one who remembers that era will ever forget him."

Thanks for the recap. I lived on the fifth floor of Booth Hall. I remember many a cold walk from Booth to Manley and back. We always went early to get a good seat (usually second or third row on the end). Back in those days, seating was general admission except for one section of permanent seating. Being seated so close to the court resulted in me being swept onto the court for both Wichman celebrations.

"Digger Phelps used his one 26-3 year at Fordham to get the Notre Dame job. But he left behind most of the players who had created that record for new coach Hal Wissel. It was big test for SU, which still was trying to capture national attention. This was my freshman year at SU and I had gotten an early indication of the struggle our community had for recognition. I lived on the seventh floor of Booth Hall. One Saturday morning, I was in the lobby of our floor, looking out over the seeming vast expanse of Syracuse NY. A friend from New York City wandered by and asked me how I was going to spend my day. I told him I might go down city. He asked what flight I was taking. In those days, we weren’t “the ‘Cuse”. We were Syracuse, New York, the state being necessary to designate us from the Syracuses in Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Utah, and, I suppose, Sicily. Beating Fordham would put a small dent in that perception and I walked the mile down to Manley to see if we could do it.

SU led almost the entire game, just had they had in that first game I’d seen five years before against St. John’s. And, just as happened in that game, the big bad team from New York City pulled ahead in the final minute. The Rams had no Sonny Dove but it sure looked like they were going to win. In the grand tradition, SU fans got up in droves to leave. I admit I did too, but I lingered at the door, starring back at the court, which in those days was constructed right on top of the dirt floor the football team used for indoor practice sessions. The vibrations of the players and heat generated by the fans sent fine particles of dirt and dust flowing up to the rafters. The lights illuminated this and created something approximating a dream sequence. SU had somehow gotten back within a single point but there were only a couple of seconds left and a Fordham player was at the line for a one-and-one. He missed. Somebody ripped the ball down for SU and rifled it to midcourt, where a pass was made to a driving Chuck Wichman- the “scrub” who had destroyed Niagara the year before. Wichman made a running lay-up at the buzzer and what was left of the crowd stormed the court. I ran out into the parking lot shouting “WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!”. People looked at me as if I were crazy. They were right but so was I. Chuck Wichman never scored more than 6 points in a game in his career but no one who remembers that era will ever forget him."
I was right under the basket, what a finish! As I recall, the Nova player was Hank Siemiontkowski, among the best, if not the best, free throw shooter in the country that year.

I believe the newspaper headline was...

Wich(man) way to the NIT?

I was right under the basket, what a finish! As I recall, the Nova player was Hank Siemiontkowski, among the best, if not the best, free throw shooter in the country that year.

We didn't play Nova. We played Fordham.

Bill Finney was on Lawrinson 3 rooming with Chuck Wichman for at least 2 years. Chuck was an excellent 6th man. Our softball team was top notch with Chuck (canon arm) at SS and Bill in CF. John Godbolt and Bucky McGill from football also were on that floor.
Wich way to to the NIT

Archived from NY Times Feb 10, 1972

SYRACUSE, Feb. 9—A driving layup by Chuck Wichman, with two seconds left in overtime tonight gave Syracuse a 90.89 victory over Fordham.
Wichman grabbed the ball after Bart Woytowicz of the Rams had missed the first of a one‐and‐one foul situation.
Syracuse held the lead throughout most of the first half, at one point leading by 8 points, as the Orange zone pressed Fordham.
The Rams closed the gap in the second half on the shooting of Ken Charles, Woytowicz and Frank Heyward, and tied the score with 7:32 remaining in the second half on a tip‐in by Paul Griswold.
In the overtime period Fordham jumped to a quick 2‐point lead on two foul shots by Tom Sullivan, but the Orange countered with a pair of foul‐shots by Greg Kohls.

We didn't play Nova. We played Fordham.
Wich way to to the NIT

Archived from NY Times Feb 10, 1972

SYRACUSE, Feb. 9—A driving layup by Chuck Wichman, with two seconds left in overtime tonight gave Syracuse a 90.89 victory over Fordham.
Wichman grabbed the ball after Bart Woytowicz of the Rams had missed the first of a one‐and‐one foul situation.
Syracuse held the lead throughout most of the first half, at one point leading by 8 points, as the Orange zone pressed Fordham.
The Rams closed the gap in the second half on the shooting of Ken Charles, Woytowicz and Frank Heyward, and tied the score with 7:32 remaining in the second half on a tip‐in by Paul Griswold.
In the overtime period Fordham jumped to a quick 2‐point lead on two foul shots by Tom Sullivan, but the Orange countered with a pair of foul‐shots by Greg Kohls.
Wrong basket! I should retire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom